Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of another joke.

Two cannibals killed a missionary and couldn't decide how to divide him fairly. So one cannibal volunteered to start eating at the head, and suggested the other start at the toes, and then they would meet in the middle.

After awhile, the cannibal at the head asked, "How is it going down there?"

The other replied, "I'm having a ball!" to which the first one responded, "Well, slow down! You're eating too fast!"

Death Star or not, that seems like a good idea if you can get the materials there. At least it wouldn't suffer Aricebo's fate...
Aricebo was poor maintenance and no budget to do proper maintenance. Not sure the moon will get any better maintenance.

And it's in a radio quiet zone. It's on the far side, so blocked even from Earth's radio emissions. There's some sort of brew-ha-ha about a Chinese lunar orbiter that would emit in its area.

Aricebo was poor maintenance and no budget to do proper maintenance. Not sure the moon will get any better maintenance.
Well, yes. But at least on the (far side?) of the moon, I would hope that not being in a tropical environment would lower maintenance needs. That thermal cyling can be a bear. The cycle is slow, but the amount of expansion/contraction would be huge. I suppose the designers have some thoughts that way, cables on rollers and tensioners, etc.

(best told in a group, and acted out)

a Brit, a Scotsman & a Canadian were captured by a tribe of cannibals..

"Captors.." the chief started, "you have fought well, and you honor your country. But your death will not be in vain. After a quick death you will be consumed so that your soul can live on thru us, and your skins will be used to build some magnificent canoes... I request you make some last words.."

Pointing to the Brit: Do you have anything to ask, to say?" the chief asks..
"May I have a knife?!
a knife is produced
"For king & Country!!" and the brit cuts his own throat

"And to you" as he points to the Canadian
"May I too have a knife?"
and a knife is produced
"For Queen & Country!!" and the Canadian cuts his own throat

"And to you" as he points to the Scotsman
"May I ask for a fork?"
and a fork is produced (and the tribe looks on, puzzled)

The Scotsman then proceeds to stab himself repeatedly & randomly with the fork while shouting "Screw your canoe!!"

:D

Well, yes. But at least on the (far side?) of the moon, I would hope that not being in a tropical environment would lower maintenance needs. That thermal cyling can be a bear. The cycle is slow, but the amount of expansion/contraction would be huge. I suppose the designers have some thoughts that way, cables on rollers and tensioners, etc.
I am sure you are right in that regard, but, the moon doesn't have an atmosphere, therefore not meteors or micro meteors burn up in the atmosphere. They will hit the dish, so this too will need to be engineered for. I would also guess that they will have to put a satellite in orbit on the dark side of the moon as well in order to bounce the signals back to earth.

satellite in orbit on the dark side of the moon
The what now??

And if you mean a synchronous orbit on the far side, I think you'd need at least two, with one being way off to the side. But with it only rotating once a month I'm not sure how far away from the moon they would have to orbit, or if it's even possible.

It would be much easier with a group of a dozen or so satellites in close orbit, so that at least one was always in line of sight with the dish's transmitter.

(best told in a group, and acted out)

a Brit, a Scotsman & a Canadian were captured by a tribe of cannibals..

"Captors.." the chief started, "you have fought well, and you honor your country. But your death will not be in vain. After a quick death you will be consumed so that your soul can live on thru us, and your skins will be used to build some magnificent canoes... I request you make some last words.."

Pointing to the Brit: Do you have anything to ask, to say?" the chief asks..
"May I have a knife?!
a knife is produced
"For king & Country!!" and the brit cuts his own throat

"And to you" as he points to the Canadian
"May I too have a knife?"
and a knife is produced
"For Queen & Country!!" and the Canadian cuts his own throat

"And to you" as he points to the Scotsman
"May I ask for a fork?"
and a fork is produced (and the tribe looks on, puzzled)

The Scotsman then proceeds to stab himself repeatedly & randomly with the fork while shouting "Screw your canoe!!"

:D
So many good ones like that!

A Frog, a Brit, an American and a Mexican on a plane. Plane loses an engine, so they have to lighten up. They chuck out all the luggage, but the plane is still too heavy. So they pull up and chuck out all the seats, but the plane is still too heavy.

The Frenchman shouts out, "Vive la France!" and jumps out. But the plane is still too heavy.

The Englishman, not to be outdone, shouts, "God save the queen!" and jumps out, but the plane is still about 150 pounds too heavy.

The American shouts "Remember the Alamo!" ...

... and throws out the Mexican.

------

From the 70s...

A priest, a boyscout, President Nixon and Henry Kissinger are on a plane that's going down. They only have three parachutes, so one of them must go down with the plane.

Tricky Dick shouts, "I'm the President of the United States! I must be preserved!" They all agree, so Nixon takes a parachute and jumps out.

Kissinger shouts, "I am the smartest man in the world! I must be saved!" And without waiting for the other two to weigh in, he grabs a parachute and jumps out.

The priest, an older man, looks at the boy and says, "Son, I've lived a long and fulfilling life. I'm ready to meet my Maker. You still have your whole life in front of you. I want you to take the last parachute."

"It's okay, Father," the boyscout says. "We can both have a parachute."

Befuddled, the priest asks, "I don't understand, son. What do you mean?"

The scout says, "The smartest man in the world just jumped out with my backpack."

242631921_4400811906672814_7957055083360188450_n.jpg

But with it only rotating once a month I'm not sure how far away from the moon they would have to orbit, or if it's even possible.
It's not. Earth's gravity influenced an object at sufficient distance to be lunastationary too much for the orbit to be stable.

It would be much easier with a group of a dozen or so satellites in close orbit, so that at least one was always in line of sight with the dish's transmitter.
Would it take a dozen? You'd need one in sight of the telescope, one in sight of Earth, and a line of sight between them. So then the question s how far out a lunar orbit can be stable, since the farther out you go the fewer satellites you need. My hunch (and nothing but a hunch) is that four would do it. Maybe five.

Latest posts

Back