Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the '60's I had a Corvair. When I got it the radio didn't work. Just above the radio in the dash was an ashtray with a sliding cover. It turned out that if you put change on the ashtray cover, and then opened the ashtray, it shoved the coins into the dash, and they then dropped into the radio. Removed radio, shook out the coins, and the radio worked fine.

Removed radio, shook out the coins, and the radio worked fine.

I spent a dozen years or so installing car audio in the 80's-90's. You'd be amazed how many angry customers came in with broken cassette decks only to find tiny fingers had used the cassette door as a coin slot. I always brought the most vocal customers back to my bench and popped the top off in front of them so they could see what was inside.

The other common fault was Coke or coffee splashed through the faceplate somehow. And only once, about a cup and a half of antifreeze inside a phone transceiver, back when they were installed devices.

This one is a bit crude, but I can't believe the editors missed it....View attachment 481887
I've often wondered if people sometimes try to slip theses things in, just to see if they'll get past all the checkers.

Somehow, I felt slightly safer after seeing this at the neighborhood garage today….
I feel less safe knowing that they need to be here. Of course, if I knew what was happening, and they weren't here, that'd be even worse.

In the '60's I had a Corvair. When I got it the radio didn't work. Just above the radio in the dash was an ashtray with a sliding cover. It turned out that if you put change on the ashtray cover, and then opened the ashtray, it shoved the coins into the dash, and they then dropped into the radio. Removed radio, shook out the coins, and the radio worked fine.

The Corvair was well known as a masterpiece of engineering. One needed to keep the front tires over inflated to (hopefully) preclude a front rim digging into the road during braking, and causing the vehicle to roll. I've never been a big fan of Ralph Nader, but he nailed that one.

Jim

242095380_6108733432502304_653239314932228164_n.jpg

Just saw this while walking past the campus barber.

DF50A018-8798-431E-83C6-8A418BC3B340.jpeg

In Charleston, SC, two funny cafes side by side.

1631822702713.png

Ha Long Cafe ... makes me think of "Ha Long has this been going on?" Next to Pounce, which really is a cafe for cats!

The Corvair was well known as a masterpiece of engineering. One needed to keep the front tires over inflated to (hopefully) preclude a front rim digging into the road during braking, and causing the vehicle to roll. I've never been a big fan of Ralph Nader, but he nailed that one.

Jim
Sorry, but incorrrect. The issue with early Corvairs was the rear suspension. The rear was a swing axle which didn't compensate for camber change when cornering so it was possible to create enough angle on the rear, outside tire to cause it to deflate under hard cornering. This caused the rim contacting the pavement with predictable result. The issue was corrected in 1965 with a wishbone/compensating type rear suspension. I owned a 1960 monza corvair and although I flogged the **** out of that car, never had an issue with the rear suspension. This was another case of early media hype that killed a good product.

What country is the meat man in? It must be one heck of a holiday.
I remember this one from long ago.....The “disgusting” display was spotted by a shocked customer at supermarket in the town of Fastiv, in the central Ukrainian Kiev Oblast region.
Married to a Ukrainian, you learn to like the twisted humor some of them have.

Jim

My grandfather bought a Corvair new in 1960. He drove it 60 miles a day for 9 years and never once had an issue. YMMV

Back