Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d say it was funny, but then I think how many bombers we lost over Germany.

thinking strategically, it would have been smarter to use it as a last resort alternate target, meaning that if a bomber had to turn back from “real” targets for whatever reason (mechanical issues, loss of fighter cover), rather than carry the bombs back across the channel (we had a lot of bombs, trained aircrews and viable airframes were another matter) dump them on the dummy farm.

Never hurts to make the enemy THINK they are fooling you if you know better.

you want a REAL great bait and switch story, read this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bolo

I’d say it was funny, but then I think how many bombers we lost over Germany.

thinking strategically, it would have been smarter to use it as a last resort alternate target, meaning that if a bomber had to turn back from “real” targets for whatever reason (mechanical issues, loss of fighter cover), rather than carry the bombs back across the channel (we had a lot of bombs, trained aircrews and viable airframes were another matter) dump them on the dummy farm.

Never hurts to make the enemy THINK they are fooling you if you know better.

you want a REAL great bait and switch story, read this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bolo
I'd say it's up to the Brits to decide if it was worth the mission. The loss of Allied aircrews was a tragic thing, but someone up in bomber command had to approve this particular flight.

I'm familiar with Bolo. However, I think Mincemeat, was a much more effective mission.

I'd say it's up to the Brits to decide if it was worth the mission. The loss of Allied aircrews was a tragic thing, but someone up in bomber command had to approve this particular flight.

I'm familiar with Bolo. However, I think Mincemeat, was a much more effective mission.
Wasn't Sir Ian Fleming somehow involved in Mincemeat? I seem to recall that in some James Bond think I watched sometime back.

I read the post you quoted, and I assumed it was referring to Gary Larson. I didn't know Gary Byrum, but it's sad to hear about another forum member passing away.

I'm not finding info to validate the above comment.
Perhaps, if you bothered to read the post I quoted, you would. Sheesh, lol.
I read the post you quoted, and I assumed it was referring to Gary Larson. I didn't know Gary Byrum, but it's sad to hear about another forum member passing away.
I thought you were referring to Gary Larson as well.
I read it the same. Ambiguous.

That's on me, I didn't spend the braincells to realize the Far Side author is also a Gary.

My initial comment was in regards to Gary Byrum, a longtime and much appreciated forum contributor

Back