Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personal note: they also flew the same altitudes and used same radio frequencies.

I read someplace that the Germans listened to our “radio check” calls as we got the B17’s ready to go. Gave them an estimated count and takeoff time.
Wheels up!

Actually, no. It was simply an amazing design by Kelly Johnson, (yup, the guy that designed the SR-71)...
By the time those were being designed, Johnson was an executive. The Great Hero of Aerospace didn't design those planes personally. In my year and a half working at the Skunk Works, I got really tired of hearing about Saint Kelly every day.

"Kelly Johnson used to build great planes and then the customers would see them and need to buy." But customers don't buy that way anymore, and building that way would waste many millions of dollars.

"Kelly Johnson built (this or that plane) in just six days!" But in those days no one was required by their customers to to do three analyses of every bolt.

"We've forgotten Kelly's Rules. Lo, we have lost our way." Kelly Johnson is as dead and gone as the era he worked in, just like Moses. I can't tell you how many people haven't got the memo.
[/RANT]

By the time those were being designed, Johnson was an executive. The Great Hero of Aerospace didn't design those planes personally. In my year and a half working at the Skunk Works, I got really tired of hearing about Saint Kelly every day.

"Kelly Johnson used to build great planes and then the customers would see them and need to buy." But customers don't buy that way anymore, and building that way would waste many millions of dollars.

"Kelly Johnson built (this or that plane) in just six days!" But in those days no one was required by their customers to to do three analyses of every bolt.

"We've forgotten Kelly's Rules. Lo, we have lost our way." Kelly Johnson is as dead and gone as the era he worked in, just like Moses. I can't tell you how many people haven't got the memo.
[/RANT]
I slouch corrected regarding Mr. Johnson. Thanks for clueing me in.

I still think the design was thinking waaaaay outside the box for its time. Some really cool airplanes like the B58 only lasted a few years. Others like the U2/TR1, B52, C130, and maybe the F15 and F16 seem to have lives of their own.

182636286_3029041400752284_6213627898713182986_n.jpg

I slouch corrected regarding Mr. Johnson. Thanks for clueing me in.
Don't get me wrong. Johnson was great at what he did, in the time he was doing it. I don't mean to take anything away from him and the Skunk Works' glory days.
I still think the design was thinking waaaaay outside the box for its time. Some really cool airplanes like the B58 only lasted a few years. Others like the U2/TR1, B52, C130, and maybe the F15 and F16 seem to have lives of their own.
Without a doubt. And add the A10 to that list.

1620580658588.png

Facts about me... I used to live on Normal Ave. (they should have renamed it after I left)
I'm from Northern Jefferson State (the Oregon side of that border)(more specifically... Ashland)... I'm on the autism spectrum... I lived in Portland, Oregon, I currently live in China. I speak some Mandarin, and Klingon. I host a Klingon recipe website. I love riding bikes, Star Trek, rockets, dinosaurs, volcanoes, cosplay, making, and model aircraft (1/48th scale only). If I'm not weird... I don't know what would be.

Last edited:
Back