Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
c23e1d04c8ddd2045fb0bea0be8553ebbeac953a.jpeg

What country is this. By the time I got to my second roundabout I knew what to do, whoever gets there first has the right of way and go like heck.
You want to try a "rotary" like in Halifax Canada. You give way to whatever is on the roundabout already, but you alternate with them giving way to entering vehicles. Not entirely straightforward. Given that it was running anticlockwise, opposite to roundabouts I was used to on Oz, I just got off my bike and walked around it.

What country is this. By the time I got to my second roundabout I knew what to do, whoever gets there first has the right of way and go like heck.
In New Jersey, the law at one of these things we call traffic circles is (or was when I was learning to drive) "Obey local custom". Which is great when you're from out of town. Jersey has removed many of it's traffic circles, because they should more accurately be called "accident factories" or "death traps". It hurts me to see other states putting them in.

In New Jersey, the law at one of these things we call traffic circles is (or was when I was learning to drive) "Obey local custom". Which is great when you're from out of town. Jersey has removed many of it's traffic circles, because they should more accurately be called "accident factories" or "death traps". It hurts me to see other states putting them in.
Studies have shown (sorry no link handy) that roundabouts are extremely efficient compared to the alternatives. Admittedly, they do require some practice.

The problem with many of the "traffic circles" in NJ is that, at least for the older ones, they don't follow any regular design pattern... each one is unique, which makes them confusing until you're familiar with them.

Do you remember the old 1&130 circle in North Brunswick? Or the "Somerville circle" where 28 met 202/206 (actually in Bridgewater)? They were not only death traps but would also back traffic up a half mile or more each way. The overpass intersections that replaced them are annoyingly complex bacause they had to replace circles, and would been much simpler had they been build with overpasses in the first place

Going farther back in time, they were traffic light intersections, and the circles were more efficient for keeping traffic moving. I wasn't old enough then (if indeed I was alive yet) to know about their safety initially, but by the time I was a preteen the jams were daily and the deaths were all too common.

There are three circles in a row on NJ 12 in and near Flemington. Those seem OK, or were the last time I was there, but only because there is very little traffic on 12.

By the time I got to my second roundabout I knew what to do, whoever gets there first has the right of way and go like heck.
Studies have shown (sorry no link handy) that roundabouts are extremely efficient compared to the alternatives. Admittedly, they do require some practice.
The problem with many of the "traffic circles" in NJ is that, at least for the older ones, they don't follow any regular design pattern... each one is unique, which makes them confusing until you're familiar with them.

They've just installed a couple of Roundabouts in my area of travel. The biggest problem I've got is that no one ever uses their turn signal when exiting, so no one knows if it's OK to jump in to the traffic stream. If it's not a Stop or Yield sign, they have no idea what to do. I've had idiots sit there until the entire Roundabout is clear... :rolleyes::mad:

Do you remember the old 1&130 circle in North Brunswick? Or the "Somerville circle" where 28 met 202/206 (actually in Bridgewater)? They were not only death traps but would also back traffic up a half mile or more each way. The overpass intersections that replaced them are annoyingly complex bacause they had to replace circles, and would been much simpler had they been build with overpasses in the first place
Don't remember the 1/130 circle, but yes the Somerville Circle was and still is quite difficult to navigate, again because it doesn't follow a standard pattern. Every lane is a unique experience. For sure the straight-through overpass for 202 is an enormous improvement.

In general, I have found that people do not know how to merge. I see problems on the highway on/off ramps all the time. And a traffic circle is nothing but a continuous merge for people.

View attachment 439169
Stupid of you to cook th bread at 350 for 55 minutes when you can just do the math cook it at 19250 for one minute.
Reminds me of the way some management seems to think about projects.
Throw more people at it and get it done quickly.

Some things just need time.
A baby needs 9 months, throwing more women at it won't get the baby born quicker.

Back