Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WW1 based on masks and doughboy helmets.
You may well be right. The equipment from WW1 was frequently used in WW2 as well. Air attack on civilians was a rare occurrence in WW1. The only shelling of civilian centers that I know of used HE, not gas. The doughboy helmet was used by the Brits and Commonwealth in WW2 as well. It is considered by many to be the worst helmet ever. I was really surprised to see civilian women wearing the gas masks at all. If you've ever had one on, ancient or modern, you generally can't wait to take it off. They are uncomfortable, restrict respiration and vision. The modern ones, just a little less so. I always have a soft spot for my cold war adversaries who had to face massive radiation leaks armed only with chem suits and gas masks. Chernobyl, K-19 etc. RIP, they faced certain death with courage.

Jim

You may well be right. The equipment from WW1 was frequently used in WW2 as well. Air attack on civilians was a rare occurrence in WW1. The only shelling of civilian centers that I know of used HE, not gas. The doughboy helmet was used by the Brits and Commonwealth in WW2 as well. It is considered by many to be the worst helmet ever. I was really surprised to see civilian women wearing the gas masks at all. If you've ever had one on, ancient or modern, you generally can't wait to take it off. They are uncomfortable, restrict respiration and vision. The modern ones, just a little less so. I always have a soft spot for my cold war adversaries who had to face massive radiation leaks armed only with chem suits and gas masks. Chernobyl, K-19 etc. RIP, they faced certain death with courage.

Jim

I have worn full-face respirators on the job for extended periods, with the dual charcoal-particulate filters (good for spray painting as well) at working temperatures up to 120°F in the summmer - I used to "lid" coke ovens for steel production. I at least had better vision - full width acrylic instead of 2 little eyeholes. It was better than a half-face respirator, saftey glasses, and a drop down face-shield, as it fully protected my eyes from (frequent) wind-born abrasive dust known as "coke breeze".

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Attachments

• Brit_guard_haircut.jpg
    Brit_guard_haircut.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 92
123269342_2870607669928992_1553206937217582687_n.jpg

Meet my twice next door neighbor. He lived in apartment 31, I lived in apartment 33. Later we both moved... Me to apartment 65, and him to 63.

1604239536923.png

Back