Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the above for the last few posts! I can't put all the "reply to" quotes in! I still have not only my physical slide rules from high school and college, but a virtual one that I can use on my computer and troll the new hires! "What's that on your computer?" - the reactions are priceless! My college education had a 10 year gap in it, from 1975 to 1985. When I went back, the "kids" in my ENGINEERING CLASSES didn't know what my slide rule was!

The rip fence on my table saw is has a vernier scale get it down to 1/64" (0.4mm) accuracy.

I have engineers and architects scales and even a metric version, and a little 4" bamboo architect's scale my former brother-in-law gave to me in 1973.

And for the character above with the "ruler" that started all this, I have a 24" machinist's rule downstairs graduated in 1/100". Yes, it's mighty tough to read! Don't know when I'd ever (attempt to) use it at that level of accuracy, I'm usually reaching for calipers if I need to be that close.

Hi Folks;

I attended the US Coast Guard Academy in the mid-70's. We were the last class to be issued slide rules, I still have mine. The next class got issued high end HP slide rule calculators, we got our own. We were the last class to be male only and were issued the black uniforms. We were also used for a social experiment that I won't expound on in public. I still have a serious attitude about 'social experiments' (see Covid 19).

Jim

MindlessDazzlingGiraffe-size_restricted.gif

Hi Folks;

I attended the US Coast Guard Academy in the mid-70's. We were the last class to be issued slide rules, I still have mine. The next class got issued high end HP slide rule calculators, we got our own. We were the last class to be male only and were issued the black uniforms. We were also used for a social experiment that I won't expound on in public. I still have a serious attitude about 'social experiments' (see Covid 19).

Jim
In the fall of 1974, as a college freshman, I was the ONLY guy in a final exam with around 500 chemistry students who still used a slide rule. I got my first 4-function hand-held calculator for Christmas a few days later (I had built a Heathkit desk calculator, complete with 8-digit Nixie readout, a year before starting college, but it wasn't portable). However, I still carry a 6" slide rule to work down to today, in case of power failure, EMP, or some other unknown catastrophe. :)

In the fall of 1974, as a college freshman, I was the ONLY guy in a final exam with around 500 chemistry students who still used a slide rule. I got my first 4-function hand-held calculator for Christmas a few days later (I had built a Heathkit desk calculator, complete with 8-digit Nixie readout, a year before starting college, but it wasn't portable). However, I still carry a 6" slide rule to work down to today, in case of power failure, EMP, or some other unknown catastrophe. :)

Yeah, my boss passed out 6" plastic rules once as well, with just that admonition! I wanted to make a little case for it, like for fire extinguishers, etc - "In case of emergency, break glass..."! I've said it here before, but I'm boorish and don't have a lot of new material - the dear fellow is 85 now and still working. One of his mentors, who I swear could actually see magnetic flux, had a slide rule tie clip and he'd use his thumbnail for the cursor... o_O

This is supposed to be the “Post a pic that makes you LOL” forum, not a verbal esoteric walk down memory lane. I hereby post this pic as an endplate to this subject, though I don’t think the pic is really all that funny. Please let’s bring back the pics that make you LOL and post all future slide rule commentary somewhere else (unless it includes a funny pic of course).

1603202515773.jpeg

I still have my dear old K&E. In the Fall of 1970, there was not ONE student in chem who had an electronic calculator. We used to have to sign up on a waiting list to use the "Wang Electronic Calculator" to complete our homework.

Back