Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epson printers won't allow you to print black without functioning colour cartridges, even when they are not being used.
In fact, they won't even scan a page! Terrible. But all manufacturers do that.

My HP OfficeJet now checks for original HP cartridges and refuses to print if anything else is installed. :mad:🤬🤬🤬
That, and they also check to see if you have the special "subscription refill" cartridges and won't work if you don't have a subscription. Ours quit like that because HP mispackaged cartridges we bought at Walmart (and not through hp's subscription).

I've had HP printers for decades but this is our last one. I'm done with them.

Last edited:
That, and they also check to see if you have the special "subscription refill" cartridges and won't work if you don't have a subscription. Ours quit like that because HP mismanaged cartridges we bought at Walmart (and not through hp's subscription).

I love my Brother printers. [grin]

That, and they also check to see if you have the special "subscription refill" cartridges and won't work if you don't have a subscription. Ours quit like that because HP mismanaged cartridges we bought at Walmart (and not through hp's subscription).

Thanks for the info. I won't be buying an HP printer. The FREAKIN' COMPANIES KEEP FINDING WAYS TO TAKE YOUR MONEY OUT OF YOUR POCKET!!!!!!!

I had to search out what models phone home on the cartridge issue, and bought a discontinued one that seems to be one of the last models that you don't have to hack or jail break. I recently got my father's several year old Envy that works great. In every way. But it will be my last HP. Too bad....

Hans
I love my Brother printers. [grin]
I've had 4 Brothers printers in the last 3 years. Each hit the dumpster within 6 months. One laser printer persistently had spots and streaks. Changing toner cartridges very prematurely doing the recommended cleaning of *everything * (the little wires etc.) only was a temporary solution. So I bought one of the last "free range" HP. When it breaks, I will have to go back to parchment paper and quill pens.

Hans.

I had to search out what models phone home on the cartridge issue, and bought a discontinued one that seems to be one of the last models that you don't have to hack or jail break. I recently got my father's several year old Envy that works great. In every way. But it will be my last HP. Too bad....

Hans

I've had 4 Brothers printers in the last 3 years. Each hit the dumpster within 6 months. One laser printer persistently had spots and streaks. Changing toner cartridges very prematurely doing the recommended cleaning of *everything * (the little wires etc.) only was a temporary solution. So I bought one of the last "free range" HP. When it breaks, I will have to go back to parchment paper and quill pens.

Hans.
Sorry you've had that experience. My experience with them has been best cost-per-impression and excellent reliability.

I had to search out what models phone home on the cartridge issue, and bought a discontinued one that seems to be one of the last models that you don't have to hack or jail break.

Look into the settings and turn off automatic updates, if it's an option. Otherwise, they may get you down the road.

I'll pile on to HP Printers too.......

A few years back I had an HP Printer. One day I was in my shop at my desk (where my printer was). I was not using the printer, and it was not even powered on, but it was plugged in. All of the sudden, it blew up. No really......I'm sitting there and the thing just pops and flashes and blows smoke. Then it caught fire. If I didn't just happen to be sitting there at that moment, it likely would have ended up burning my shop down. What the f*#$ indeed.

I called HP customer service to let them know about the problem. They told me that since it was past warranty (by about a week and a half!), there was nothing they could do. I said something along the lines of...."are you freaking kidding me?". They responded that they could offer me a 10% discount on a replacement if I wanted. I repeated the paraphrased exclamation about them freaking kidding me.

Now, keep in mind that even if I wanted a replacement (as if that was the biggest issue here), that 10% discount was off list pricing, and I would have had to pay shipping too. Of course, most any big box or online retailer sells these at significantly less than "list price", generally much more than 10% less. So, HP's offer still would have cost me a lot more than just buying at any convenient retailer.

What a complete load of crap. I will NEVER buy any HP product again. Mediocre products, not all that special pricing, crappy business practices, and unbelievably lousy customer service. The damn thing nearly burned my shop down!

s6

What a complete load of crap. I will NEVER buy any HP product again. Mediocre products, not all that special pricing, crappy business practices, and unbelievably lousy customer service. The damn thing nearly burned my shop down!
I work for a company affiliated with HP, so we have to get HP printers. I always go to the HP printer and expect to be disappointed. I am almost never proven wrong. Just bad UI behaviour, unreliable, stops in the middle of doing things, you cancel one job (of a few) and it logs you out. Just very disappointing each time, although there was one print I required a couple of weeks back and it just did what it was supposed to and I wasn't disappointed. Can't remember the last time it had done that.

I use Brother at home now. Much better.

Last edited:
I'll pile on to HP Printers too.......

A few years back I had an HP Printer. One day I was in my shop at my desk (where my printer was). I was not using the printer, and it was not even powered on, but it was plugged in. All of the sudden, it blew up. No really......I'm sitting there and the thing just pops and flashes and blows smoke. Then it caught fire. If I didn't just happen to be sitting there at that moment, it likely would have ended up burning my shop down. What the f*#$ indeed.

I called HP customer service to let them know about the problem. They told me that since it was past warranty (by about a week and a half!), there was nothing they could do. I said something along the lines of...."are you freaking kidding me?". They responded that they could offer me a 10% discount on a replacement if I wanted. I repeated the paraphrased exclamation about them freaking kidding me.

Now, keep in mind that even if I wanted a replacement (as if that was the biggest issue here), that 10% discount was off list pricing, and I would have had to pay shipping too. Of course, most any big box or online retailer sells these at significantly less than "list price", generally much more than 10% less. So, HP's offer still would have cost me a lot more than just buying at any convenient retailer.

s6
Obviously it tried to execute HCF machine code instruction. Successfully.

Back