Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While funny, this one also hit me in the feels. During the summers while in college, my dad worked road construction in the mountains of the northwest (Montana, Idaho, Washington) and he'd tell stories about working with the explosive crew running det cord for them. He later went on to get his degree in civil engineering and worked for the federal highway administration for 30 years designing interstates. After retirement, he did safety and crash analysis for court cases. Can't tell you how many road trips we took and he'd give us education about "road stuff" to fill the time. This April will be 1 year since he passed.

While funny, this one also hit me in the feels. During the summers while in college, my dad worked road construction in the mountains of the northwest (Montana, Idaho, Washington) and he'd tell stories about working with the explosive crew running det cord for them. He later went on to get his degree in civil engineering and worked for the federal highway administration for 30 years designing interstates. After retirement, he did safety and crash analysis for court cases. Can't tell you how many road trips we took and he'd give us education about "road stuff" to fill the time. This April will be 1 year since he passed.
Sounds like a cool dad. Mine died five years ago. He was in the Navy in WWII, served in the elite Naval Armed Guard, where they would be put on merchant marine ships, and it was their job to guard the ship and its cargo until it reached its destination. My dad grew up pretty much a hillbilly in the mountains of VA. Had no running water for his early years. Ended up on ships going to Africa and Europe. Always great stories!

My dad grew up pretty much a hillbilly in the mountains of VA. Had no running water for his early years. Ended up on ships going to Africa and Europe.
My wife's uncle, a retired navy officer, says that lots of sailors are from inland. He says it's because people from the coast know how dangerous oceans are.

My dad had one of those. loved paying with it. I believe I even counted how many times the chuck went around with one rotation / how much you needed to move the knob to make a full turn of the chuck.. ( was starting to notice smaller / larger gears & their ratios with my Lego Technics sets..)

But I never understood how you had 2 hands, yet this had 3 'things' to hold / manipulate (2 handles, and one knob) .. nor what the pinion at the back actually did..

My father had one (I might have it somewhere) with a slider controlled gearing hub between the pinions, that looked similar to the one on a yankee screwdriver.
1643378600245.png
In the center position the drill would behave normally. In the end positions, the chuck would turn in one direction whichever direction you turned the wheel, clockwise at one end or counterclockwise at the other. In a tight spot where you can't get the wheel all the way around, you can just swing back and forth as far as you're able and keep drilling (or driving and removing screws, which I presume is why it has a counterclockwise setting; has anyone seen a left-handed twist drill?).

Never mind; found'm.

Back