Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've seen this floating around lately and am wondering if this might be in Germany, where Jagermeister is indeed consumed as a digestive aid. Catholics don't have any particular hang-up about drinking (drunkenness, sure, but not responsible drinking). There were/are monasteries that do "beer fasts" where they consume nothing but beer and water during Lent. There is also an official blessing for beer.

Not a picture, but funny story behind the beer fast and Paulaner brewery in Munich:

https://lordsofthedrinks.com/2016/0...d-for-the-46-days-of-lent-fast-before-easter/

Russian translates to: "Who can read this I love Vladimir Putin!"

tweet-anthony-sabatini-just-had-russian-vaccination-no-side-effects-russian.jpg

50193824972_a16f3b58d0.jpg

Visit to the museum of modern art:

visited-the-modern-art-museum-today-fascinating-stuff-284359.jpg

vodka-ouzo-whiskey-gin-ice-destroys-heart-liver-ice-is-the-problem.jpg

so-rude-320321.jpg

just-tell-what-happened-402302.jpg

maybe-some-good-can-come-from-this-420319.jpg

honestly-its-life-advice-308855.jpg

quote-karl-marx-gib-me-dat-for-free-hungry-santa.jpg

i-love-you-275262.jpg

How to protect yourself from robots:

how-to-protect-yourself-from-a-robot-306371.jpg

is-bad-pun-a-crime-418243.jpg

concert-signs-277251.jpg

I've seen this floating around lately and am wondering if this might be in Germany, where Jagermeister is indeed consumed as a digestive aid. Catholics don't have any particular hang-up about drinking (drunkenness, sure, but not responsible drinking). There were/are monasteries that do "beer fasts" where they consume nothing but beer and water during Lent. There is also an official blessing for beer.

Not a picture, but funny story behind the beer fast and Paulaner brewery in Munich:

https://lordsofthedrinks.com/2016/0...d-for-the-46-days-of-lent-fast-before-easter/
I wonder if they'd be okay with a bottle of Dark Lord?

https://www.3floyds.com/beer/dark-lord/?age_verification=62ede43e8c

In the late sixties, my grandparents had a TV with a three button remote. It worked by striking a bar, a different length bar for each button, that worked as an ultrasonic bell. The TV had a mic and filters to identify which bell had rung. Something like the below, a different brand, and it wasn't a color TV.
1598012944759.png

In the late sixties, my grandparents had a TV with a three button remote. It worked by striking a bar, a different length bar for each button, that worked as an ultrasonic bell. The TV had a mic and filters to identify which bell had rung. Something like the below, a different brand, and it wasn't a color TV.

Wow, that's wild. I guess the remote batteries never wear out.

View attachment 429070

I think that's a Zenith Space Command, cool!

I have a '62 Magnavox Stereo Theater console, but I don't have the remote. The TV doesn't work anyway. I was
thinking mine (1st pic) should be a piezo clicker, but not sure. Some used a bellows and ultrasonic whistle.
11861873_0.jpgMag remote.jpg.pngMag remote early.png

The one my grandparents had contained tuning forks. You'd press down on a button until it over-came some ramp and a hammer would strike the fork. As the hammer gave way, it make a click....hence why we assumed it was called a clicker. Only had 2 buttons from what I remember, channel up and channel down. Pretty sure they retired that setup in the early 80s

Grandma & Grandpa's had (as I said) three buttons. One was channel up, and it would just roll over from 13 to 2. In the TV, it actually activated a motor to turn the channel dial, the same one you'd use manually. I don't remember what the other two were, but I guess volume up and volume down.

It had the same sort of action that you describe. There was considerable resistance as you pushed down until the threshold is reached. It's stressing a spring, and then once over the threshold the spring is released to strike the chime bar. Basically the same idea as these handy spring loaded center punches:
1598028414110.png

Yup, grew up with one of them as well, lasted until we got our first cable box around, roughly, 1980. It resembled one of these:
View attachment 429093
Crude but actually unmatched to this day for high-speed channel surfing. :)
We had one of those, too. Maybe mid-80s for us? Ours had numbers for each row, no letters. You could definitely speed through the channels this way.

What were the letters for?
They were generic channel identifiers. I don't think ours looked exactly like that; it might have come with a sticker overlay showing exact channels for each button for our local region. But it definitely had the 3-way switch on the left, and all those delicious surf-able buttons in the row.

Yup, grew up with one of them as well, lasted until we got our first cable box around, roughly, 1980. It resembled one of these:
View attachment 429093
Crude but actually unmatched to this day for high-speed channel surfing. :)
My neighbors had SuperTV, but by the time my family got cable, they were more modern than that. Had the analog, wired remote that actually clicked when you spun the dial.

In the mid-90s, we inherited a Space Command TV. I think it had 4 buttons on the remote, so it was probably a later model. When you changed the channel, the clicker triggered a servo motor that turned the channel dial one step. I think volume was similar. It was a pretty ingenious system that used the already existing infrastructure on the TV.

Are you sure it was a servo motor? I suspect it would have been just a solenoid pushing on a sawtooth wheel. That way, you can manually turn the dial without any connection to the mechanism used with the remote.

Are you sure it was a servo motor? I suspect it would have been just a solenoid pushing on a sawtooth wheel. That way, you can manually turn the dial without any connection to the mechanism used with the remote.

At this late date I can’t say whether it was a second or a solenoid. It made an electrical noise similar to but lower pitch than a JLCR but that’s all I can say for sure.

Based on my recollection of how it worked, I can easily imagine it was a solenoid pushing a saw wheel. But that was over 40 years ago, so I wouldn't trust my memory. It did make quite a good noise when switching.

My family never had a “clicker” remote. Our first was a 9v powered infrared remote for cable boxes. The best thing about those was that they worked on anyone’s tv. We’d often ride around the neighborhood on our bikes changing people’s channels through front windows. 😀

Back