Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As in how "Universal" it is ?
You got it. Before "C" came out, it was anything but universal. It's getting better...

Now RS-232 sure is way off in my rear-view mirror, but my war story there is that, when I got hired at the company I've recently retired from, we had an HP drafting size pen plotter (8 pens!) that the owners could not get to function, even though one of the son-in-laws worked for Radio Shack. But I had picked up somewhere that HP had a different pin-out - basically, swapped a couple wires, I think to imitate Sears-Roebuck. So I got a couple of 9 pin connectors and some cable and made one up, and when that plotter started plotting you'd have thought I could walk on water without getting my socks wet! Hero for a day!

You got it. Before "C" came out, it was anything but universal. It's getting better...

Now RS-232 sure is way off in my rear-view mirror, but my war story there is that, when I got hired at the company I've recently retired from, we had an HP drafting size pen plotter (8 pens!) that the owners could not get to function, even though one of the son-in-laws worked for Radio Shack. But I had picked up somewhere that HP had a different pin-out - basically, swapped a couple wires, I think to imitate Sears-Roebuck. So I got a couple of 9 pin connectors and some cable and made one up, and when that plotter started plotting you'd have thought I could walk on water without getting my socks wet! Hero for a day!
So, a null modem?

HP used to tell you how to make the required cable in the instructions that came in the box. I bought a 2nd hand one and contacted them by email and they provided the schematic. In the days when people thought emails were exciting to get.....
The RS232 "standard" became an oxymoron within a nanosecond of its existence.

Back