New threads and interesting conversations directly in your inbox. Sign up now and get a daily summary of the latest forum activities!
Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by BSNW, Jan 10, 2020.
It’s a fun little kit! Looks great!
A little scratch build that my daughter and I worked on over Christmas break...
We also did a small build in honor of the last Star Wars movie...
Please tell me that you made the MMT long enough for an E12!
Love the look. Is it stable with those massive upswept fins
To be honest, I’m not sure. We built it for the challenge of replicating the resistance logo...I just haven’t given it the swing test yet. I imagine that it’s not very stable but my kids love it all the same. If I can tweak it for flight, that will be a win! [emoji6]
I’ll do some testing over the weekend and let you know [emoji1360]
I really like that! That is a very cool-looking rocket.
I'm a huge fan of the SLV. I still have plans to upscale one.
OHHHHH? YESSSSS! (see what I did there?)
These don't qualify as "projects" but they were fun to throw together! I find the fin can on them kind of intriguing. Neat little design!
I'd say I had a good 45 minutes into the two of them, lol.
Just add the difference between the two. An A3-4t weighs 7.6 grams. A C6-5 weighs 25.8 grams. So 18.2 grams to start everything else being equal weight add about 18 grams or a little more.
I made plywood fins and a 24mm mount so I added more.
Another sure fire way is get the CG from the stock built one. Mark this location on the modded body tube. Build it like you want and add required nose weight until you get the CG where it meets the mark. Get it?
Yep! It can take an E12! I'm gonna do it for sure!
Thanks! I got another kit and will try it!
Thanks Tyler. I can send you plans if you want. I will post photos when done.
Wow....all I can say is wow...
Thanks! I can't wait to launch it!
I'd love to see them!
Plans or photos?
Lol, either one! Both!
thanks - it was my first attempt at it
The big upswept fins don't look like a problem to me so much as the short tube. If it doesn't test good, try extending the tube before adding nose weight. Then put it in the air!
Just finished this one 2 weeks ago and flew it at our last launch on an I280
Yup, that's a 38mm minimum diameter Star Orbiter made from blue tube and G10.
Was supposed to hit Mach 1.3, but only got to 1143 fps due to coning during the first half of the burn.
Truly awesome build and flight!
Maybe you should call that one "Orbital Star"
Did you set your launch site environmentals and account for temperature when figuring the flight's Mach actual?
Thanks. My nerves were definitely on edge prior to that flight.
Absolutely. Accounting for temp. Mach was just shy of 1100fps.
Weather was perfect, dead calm, but the first 1000' it experienced some serious coning, the straightened out for the rest of the flight.
As you can see in this pic, after the last wiggle, it flew true.
Great idea! Thanks
My "most recently completed project", was last summer. A few other models made for NARAM but this was what I consider a project.
Have had to put other things on hold due to a home makeover at the place I live, that'll be going on the next few months, affecting the workshop area too (flooring replacement, painting, etc.). When I do get back to building, one of the things I need to do it repair the Mars Lander Quad, because it had another boost crash, at NARAM-61. I think it "simply" went unstable so it'll be getting some noseweight added and also an aerodynamic tweak to fix a contributing factor to random instability.
This is an Estes Mini Fatboy I painted this afternoon.
Separate names with a comma.