Possible streamer source: "bird scare tape" mylar ribbon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Stumbled across this on Amazon just now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725YZJD8/?th=1Scare Tape - 150ft x 2in PET Reflective Tape Keep Wildlife and Property Protected

Basically, it's highly reflective mylar tape intended to flutter in the wind. Seems like a potentially good source of streamer material. So far, I've found 1-inch and 2-inch wide versions, but strips can always be cut narrower if desired.

Just wondering how late to the party I am on applying that as streamer material. Or would it be less than wonderful for some reason that doesn't immediately occur to me?

It's definitely been recommended in the past here. I've used it successfully. The only 'issue' I noticed is that it's pretty bat about developing a position memory, so you don't want to leave it rolled up inside a rocket between launch days.

As a follow up to my original post, the competition mylar streamers sold by ASP Rocketry are far superior BUT the bird scare tape works and is visible, I have a 29mm Lil' Fusion up-rated to fly on 24mm G motors (CTI and OOP Aerotech motors), the recovery is a 10' long streamer made of bird scare tape (is, soon to be was) the rocket flies to nearly 3500' on those motors and is easy to spot when the streamer comes out at apogee (its called Vanishing Act because it disappears almost immediately after launch and doesn't reappear until the streamer comes out), the tape over several flights will break off in 6" to 12" sections or more and will split between the layer (its actually 2 layers from the types I have seen). I have also used it attached to the top of a drogue chute to make spotting easier to high flying Min Diameter rockets.

The accordion folds are a drag-increasing strategy for streamer duration contests. For me, for sport flying, it’s really more trouble than it’s worth. For small models that I use streamers in I typically fold it in half, fold it again, then maybe a third time, then roll it up to stuff in the tube. The trick is to roll it tightly enough that it doesn’t hang on the shock cord mount in the model or anything else.

On strategy for dealing with this is to make sure the shock cord mount (here I’m thinking of things like the Estes tri-fold and the Stine shock lock) is far enough down in the tube that you don’t have to insert the streamer and shock cord all the way PAST it to get the nose cone on. If it’s beside the mount (and there’s enough wadding to keep it from sliding aft at boost, then it can’t hang up on the mount on the way out.

Sounds like it could be a good choice for an 18mm rocket that might knock on the door of 2000'. Just plan to replace it early and often.

How do you fold/roll it? Some of the streamer recovery papers I've read discuss painstaking accordion folds of mylar.
I roll mine and place it inside the tube, I do like to use a very lightweigh foam plug or piston under it (common in competition to improve reliablity...I think).

I have used it. It is very visible. It does tend to break up after a while. I first got it to try and stop birds from flying into our kitchen windows. After a few day of moderate wind it starts to break up. I roll mine. I use a drill and bit. I get the mylar to grab the bit and just run the drill slowly and feed it the mylar. I can wind up 20' in a few seconds. It is also a very tight roll. I roll it up just before I button the rocket up and head to the pads.

Back