Possible dollar sign bug

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
Reaction score
Browsing a few older threads I’ve noticed that the update appears to have produced a bizarre formatting error. My best guess is that the dollar sign ( 💲 ), when typed in the standard way and not as an emoji as I just did, is taken for a markup symbol.

It’s entirely possible and legal for eligible SSI recipients to collect their benefits while holding a job. In fact, this is encouraged; they subtract $0.75 from the base amount of the recipient’s benefits for every $1 the recipient earns in wages, meaning that working is in the recipient’s best interest.

The base amount is so small compared to living costs that unless the recipient has other means of support like generous family members or a special-needs trust or both, boosting income in this manner is almost always very necessary.

Anyway, getting off the soapbox now. Back to rocket stuff!
It doesn’t display in this preview but following the link may make it go. I’ll update this post if it doesn’t.

EDIT: It appears for me when I open the link to this forum post. Strange.

lakeroadster

👀 Oddroc Scum 👀 CAD Monkey Swingkinder
Reaction score
Yet, if I reply to that post... it looks like this..

It’s entirely possible and legal for eligible SSI recipients to collect their benefits while holding a job. In fact, this is encouraged; they subtract $0.75 from the base amount of the recipient’s benefits for every $1 the recipient earns in wages, meaning that working is in the recipient’s best interest.

The base amount is so small compared to living costs that unless the recipient has other means of support like generous family members or a special-needs trust or both, boosting income in this manner is almost always very necessary.

Anyway, getting off the soapbox now. Back to rocket stuff!

prfesser

Reaction score
I tried using the ALT input for the dollar sign: hold down ALT key, type "036" on the NUMERIC KEYPAD, release ALT key; should see a dollar sign here: $.

Works sporadically.

Sparky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
5.00 Just testing to see what I get when I do the$$$$$$$$$

Sparky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I'm having it investigated. And will try to get it corrected. My post above had a dollar sign in front of the 5 and then about 5 or 6 of them.

Seems a setting for math comes on with them.

1652325483043.png

Sparky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
The dollar sign issue has Math add-on turned off over night until tech can look at it in the morning. So in the meantime you should be able to post a $$$

smstachwick

Reaction score
The dollar sign issue has Math add-on turned off over night until tech can look at it in the morning. So in the meantime you should be able to post a $$$
Thank you Angie! I appreciate your diligence.

Hopefully this doesn’t cost too much $$$ to fix!😜

modeltrains

Reaction score
Aha, I've been right all along, knew ever since we started algebra that math was a twisted little punk.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
I posted this a while back.. dunno if it the same issue..

smstachwick

Reaction score
I posted this a while back.. dunno if it the same issue..

Not the same, but possibly related.

The system seemed to think that (Shift + 4) was a markup symbol. When it appeared in a post, the text following it would be spaced strangely in a different typeface, and there were no line breaks. I’ve put a screenshot above.

Inserting a second (Shift + 4) acted as a closing tag and reverted back to normal text.

Angie noted that it seemed to trigger math functions, which is weird but would also explain a lot.