The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings fellow rocketeers,
We are finally getting our flying field up and running and in need of a portable PA system. We do not need anything huge at this point since we are just starting out. I have searched here but most of the posts are before the time of Bluetooth. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good system to look at?

I use one from this maker when I need a PA at the field: https://smile.amazon.com/Portable-Microphones-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Connected/dp/B00FZ5PZ2I/

There are a bunch of models with different combinations of mics (handheld or headset), one or two inputs, that sort of thing. A couple of other clubs in the state use 'em, too, at LPR/MPR launches or as backup PA at high power launches.

They've gone up in price some since I got mine.

I like it because it's just a box I set on a stand, and a wireless microphone. It's powered by an internal lithium ion battery. Easy setup, no wires to string.

We have an AV guy, Chad, in our group who built one in a rackmount roadie case. It has a Radio Shack Amplifier, wireless mic, and four large box speakers with stands. Recently I upgraded it with:
  • Four Channel Wireless Mic system so LCO, RSO, and RSOB can all speak on it during operations and all can hear.
  • GMRS base station radio and five Motoroala T480 Talkabout radios which also receive Broadcast FM.
  • 7W FM Broadcast transmitter so people can hear the launch announcements on their personal radios, and anyone carrying a Motorola T480 or Baofeng UV5R radio can monitor while out recovering a rocket or at the away pad.
  • Bluetooth transceiver so we can play music from Phones and not have to be tethered to the unit.
  • 1000 W Pure sine inverter to run it all on 12V without any buzz on the speakers.
  • AutoTransfer relay so it will switch to 120VAC if plugged into a generator.
Yeah, kinda got carried away, but it is pretty cool. And, yeah, it weighs a ton! We're going to be adding a 280W solar panel to our club trailer to keep the battery charged during use.

New-PA-1.jpg

Back