Porta Pad II for $6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenobi65

Reaction score
I had to go to my local Michael's (North Riverside, IL) to get a tube of plastic model cement, in order to build the Estes Bandito I'd picked up at Hobby Lobby earlier in the week (50% off, of course).

As I stood in the checkout line, I realized I'd picked up the non-toxic version of the cement, which I wasn't sure would be as effective. So, as I went back to the model aisle to switch tubes, I walked through the clearance aisle. They had 2 Estes Porta Pad II launch pads on clearance for $6 each (down from $22). I picked one up, mostly because my old PPII has a bent launch rod (and a replacement rod is about $6, or maybe even more.)

I see on another thread here that someone else has picked up a pad at Michael's on clearance, too, so maybe it's not just at my local store. Still, if you live in Chicago's near-west suburbs, and want an inexpensive launch pad, I know where there's at least one on the shelf. :)

Yep. Michael's clearance sales are pretty common. Typically, members of TRF do a fine job of alerting everyone of these good finds. I usually pick up a 50% coupon in their weekly Sunday advertisement. Their great for buying Big Daddy kits or Blast-Off Flight packs.

Nice find on the PPII. People tend to diss the PPII, but personally I think it is the most portable way to launch a rocket aside from sticking a rod in the ground. With some ground stakes, some pretty hefty BT80 BP rockets can be flown off of the PPII.

Originally posted by eugenefl
Nice find on the PPII. People tend to diss the PPII, but personally I think it is the most portable way to launch a rocket aside from sticking a rod in the ground. With some ground stakes, some pretty hefty BT80 BP rockets can be flown off of the PPII.

As most of my rockets are what one might call, errr, underfed, the PPII suits my needs just fine. :)

I found a great launch pad deal for all us "older" BARs.

A local discount store has a 5' 5" tripods (cheap but sturdy!) for $19.95. Adjustable legs, camera mount, and a nice wide base, will hold at least an Estes Saturn V easily.

Sure beats the heck out of bending over!

The top base swivels easily down making the rod horizontal for installing the rocket and it's infinately adjustable.

You just have to fabricate a rod holder and deflector plate. (I use old coffee can lids, throw 'em away after each launch...I drink a lot of coffee!)

sandman

I like the "porta-pad" to an extent, but I can't stand the 2-piece rod. I have never found one that lines up correctly and twice have had lugs hang up on the misaligned pieces. That's why I use the old 1/8 and 3/16 steel rod from the hardware store.

C

Back