Pop Up Shelter for the Salt Flats

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about attending LDRS39a (if there is one in 2021) and wondering about shelters on the Salt Flats. I have this model from REI and it has worked well at other launches:

https://www.rei.com/product/882198/caddis-rapid-shelter-10-x-10
It is heavy (55lbs) with steel construction. There are no lash points for additional tie downs, however.

I use 10" stakes like these, 2 per leg.

https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons/2020/12/96534-173332118/
Will this setup cut the mustard? Does the salt require a different kind of stake? Are additional tie downs required? (Not sure how to attach those on this model of shelter.)

Lastly, is a mat of some kind to stand on under the shelter a good idea to help keep things a little more clean?

I'm thinking of attending myself. This is a very good question. Looking forward to seeing the responses of the "locals."

Along the same lines, are side panels a good idea?

Brad, the "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

I have been to the 'salt' many times. That pop-up will do. Those stakes, yes. Side panels, yes. You must have a tarp. At night lower your canopy, take off the fabric. We bring a 10' x 20' carport w/sides. There are more posts in the forum about the salt, it is harsh, hot, and a ton of fun! UROC rocks the salt!

Do these spiral type stakes work in the salt? I'm really hoping LDRS can happen in 2021.

1609371047323.png

The key is to forget about keeping your shade up the entire time. You can leave the frame up, but the fabric must be taken down every night before you head for the hotel. We watched the wind take down a Costco portable garage one year like it was made of tissue paper. None of the stakes pulled out. The BLM doesn't require ground tarps, it just makes sense because the salt can be so sticky.

Yes ,the salt is sticky.I once cleaned about 90 lbs of it from the undercarriage of my vehicle after a Hellfire launch.

The salt CAN be sticky, but isn't always. Last summer it was rock hard, with the lack of rain we've had in the region. The best way to not get tons of salt on your vehicle is to drive at a reasonable speed across the flats. For some reason people want to see how fast their mini-vans will go once they get on the salt...

Wayco and I have attended two rocket launches on the Bonneville Salt Flats. The first time we put down a tarp and swept it with a broom. Often. Still had salt everywhere. Second time we picked up a folding mat at Walmart. Salt just falls right through it. Much preferable.

Similar to this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Patio-Ma...oor-Rug-Greek-Key-Pattern-Size-9-x12/46250176

As far as your vehicle: yes, you will get salt everywhere - I don't care how slow you drive. There is a coin fed car wash on the western side of town. Use it. When you get home hose down your vehicle again. Then take it to a car wash and get it detailed. We did all this and just yesterday we found more salt and it's been 4-5 years.

It is still really worth going to the launch. But that salt is tenacious...

I’m sure the launches are awesome, and it’s a ton of fun, but the environment sounds really harsh.

The environment is big part of the attraction for me. This is a bucket list trip. :)

I am thinking about attending LDRS39a (if there is one in 2021) and wondering about shelters on the Salt Flats. I have this model from REI and it has worked well at other launches:

https://www.rei.com/product/882198/caddis-rapid-shelter-10-x-10
It is heavy (55lbs) with steel construction. There are no lash points for additional tie downs, however.....
I have the Aluminum version of that model, and it has spots on all 4 top corners for tie down ropes, and it came with tie down ropes long enough to stake down at 45 degree angle to the ground. The steel leg version doesn't have that?

I have the Aluminum version of that model, and it has spots on all 4 top corners for tie down ropes, and it came with tie down ropes long enough to stake down at 45 degree angle to the ground. The steel leg version doesn't have that?

Nope, no lash points nor tie down ropes. I guess they feel the steel model is sturdy enough without additional tie downs.

Back