Poll: Should Junior Members of Tripoli or NAR Be Given More Freedom in High Power?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

More Freedom in High Power Rocketry For Juniors?

• More Freedoms Should be Allowed

• Less Freedoms Should be Allowed

• Current Freedoms are Just Right

Results are only viewable after voting.
I thank you all for your time and responses! I have appreciated all your input and encouragement. It has been very helpful to hear both sides of the argument. I have gotten many insights from your replies. I interpret public opinion as that while there many be a few people who have the responsibility to have more freedoms, that doesn't represent the total junior community and it is more effective to just wait the few years until all can be done in accordance with the currant rules. After all, what is 2 or 3 more years (THAT'S LIKE FOREVER!) when we've got our whole lives ahead of us? And this is for a paper I am writing; I'm not trying to lobby either way. Again, thank you for all your feedback, you have given me lots of information for my assignment in addition to some plain wisdom.

Farewell...

Having worked with teenagers for the past 25 years, even at-risk teens & delinquents, I have a slightly different perspective than most. The Junior Level 1 Certification is a fabulous program. I personally have mentored and trained 14 over the past 2 years. I have also mentored 2 level 1 certs (ages 18). My juniors are far more knowledgeable than my 18 year old students simply because they had to prep for a test. But here is my point. The propensity to do risky things is higher among teens until the age of 21-24. While there are exceptions, rules must be made to govern the vast majority of teens. The program works as is. There is no need to change it. Every Junior cert should have a mentor who signs off on each and every flight, no exception. Even if NAR & TRA we’re to introduce a Junior level 2, no Junior flier should be allowed to fly HPRs unless it is signed off by and witnessed by his mentor. Accountability & supervision are not a restriction but rather protection. It is all about learning.

I thank you all for your time and responses! I have appreciated all your input and encouragement. It has been very helpful to hear both sides of the argument. I have gotten many insights from your replies. I interpret public opinion as that while there many be a few people who have the responsibility to have more freedoms, that doesn't represent the total junior community and it is more effective to just wait the few years until all can be done in accordance with the currant rules. After all, what is 2 or 3 more years (THAT'S LIKE FOREVER!) when we've got our whole lives ahead of us? And this is for a paper I am writing; I'm not trying to lobby either way. Again, thank you for all your feedback, you have given me lots of information for my assignment in addition to some plain wisdom.

Farewell...

You obviously have a deep passion for rocketry. Be patient and learn with a mentor.

I think there's a great deal of discussion about what the law is and should be wrt 18 yrs of age. I see this as two issues - when should a person be able to buy and ignite (un-mentored) L2 or above, and when should a person be able to demonstrate the capabilities required for L2 licensing. To me it's a waste of time arguing about what the law should be, and anything not currently allowed under the law wrt age will likely not change.

I also think it is unfortunate for someone demonstrating the skills not being able to progress further in our hobby prior to 18. My son got his Jr. L1 at 14 and designed and built many HPR rockets before 18. At launches I always supervised him, but he was capable of CAD design, running sims, working with epoxy, testing BP charge amounts, calculating stability, programming altimeters, etc, etc. He certainly could have taken the L2 test, built a sound L2 rocket, and demonstrated all of the skills, but he could not do any of that until he turned 18. I wish there had been a "Jr L2" where he could have received the certification but still have been bound by a mentor constraint (wrt buy and launch) until 18.

I think there's a great deal of discussion about what the law is and should be wrt 18 yrs of age. I see this as two issues - when should a person be able to buy and ignite (un-mentored) L2 or above, and when should a person be able to demonstrate the capabilities required for L2 licensing. To me it's a waste of time arguing about what the law should be, and anything not currently allowed under the law wrt age will likely not change.

I also think it is unfortunate for someone demonstrating the skills not being able to progress further in our hobby prior to 18. My son got his Jr. L1 at 14 and designed and built many HPR rockets before 18. At launches I always supervised him, but he was capable of CAD design, running sims, working with epoxy, testing BP charge amounts, calculating stability, programming altimeters, etc, etc. He certainly could have taken the L2 test, built a sound L2 rocket, and demonstrated all of the skills, but he could not do any of that until he turned 18. I wish there had been a "Jr L2" where he could have received the certification but still have been bound by a mentor constraint (wrt buy and launch) until 18.

That brings up another legal challenge that people might want to research. I had a conversation about black powder with our local sherif. He is research it, but told me that he thinks it is illegal for a minor to buy or possess black powder in GA. You might want to check that with your local municipalities. My son helped me ground test my level two and three but I would never let him do that alone (not assuming you did).

A JR level 2 would have to have some clear rules to understand how that would work.

The Tripoli TMP allows a junior member from 12 - 17 to do anything their mentor is authorized to do, as long as it’s under the supervision of their mentor. Like NAR we don’t call it certification because that word has a special meaning in NFPA and we don’t wish to create confusion. When they turn 18 they have their L1.
I don’t understand why that’s not sufficient.

I would dispute the premise on this. There is plenty that a Jr. L1 can do to advance in the hobby prior to age 18. My daughter designed and organized her team to scratch build a carbon Machbuster including making the tubes. Yes, it flew under my name, but it was 100% clear that students did virtually all of the work building and preparing and that it was the students' rocket. I just put the motor in, handled the ejection charges, and double-checked altimeter beeps after the students had verified them. That's a very small part of the overall job. Would it have been nice to have her name on the top of the flight card? Sure. But does that mean that the rest of the work she and her team did had no value? I don't think so.

If, just once ever, I saw a piece of legislation that referenced a distribution and acknowledged how they selected the cutoffs.... that would be amazing.
There's often some discussion of that in the legislative text that goes along with the law. The law books are long enough without adding discussions of intent. Where you really get that info is in the regulatory rulemaking that implements laws.

The current freedoms are right for a Jr member, but i think the knowledge test for a Jr member is BS.

Is an 18 year old tested for level 1? NO. Talk about a deterrent for a kid wanting to take the next step.

Is an 18 year old tested for level 1? NO. Talk about a deterrent for a kid wanting to take the next step.
Are 18-year-olds treated as more mature than 14-year-olds in our society? Clearly yes. If the test is an impediment to a youth, they shouldn't be doing high power anyway, IMO. If anything, the solution it to move the L2 test (or part of it) to L1 so everyone has to study the safety code.

Knowledge testing, practical testing, skills proof testing, ect ect are NOT deterrents, they are mechanisms to prove competency for awarding titles or certifications. This is true in most all things in life. RULES: there are no rules in existence that appease everyone, that favor everyone, that do not in some form restrict everyone, that in some fashion appear to discriminate some, that everyone agree’s on, but there must be some semblance of rules and order or there would be chaos.

I will leave you with quotes:

Dr. Spock- “The needs of the many out-weigh the needs of the one”

Winston (John Wick) - “Rules… they are what separate us from the animals”

It’s really not. Tripoli has a written test for their Tripoli Mentoring Program as well and it works very well, like the NAR Jr. L1. A junior member as young as 12 can take the test and gain some range privileges that she or he would otherwise have to wait for. Then, having proven that they have learned some of the safety and technical basics, they are allowed to fly a flight that opens up more privileges and eventually becomes an L1 certification. The number of junior members who have done both, for both organizations, proves that it has not been a deterrent.

If you have a child interested in rocketry there's nothing saying you can't get certified and then involve your child as deep as you see fit, flying at an independent location.

Think of it as home schooling. If you don't like what the organizations are doing, go your own way.

Just educate yourself on local and federal regulations, understand the risks, and fly safe.

My son has been flying with me since he was 5. I gifted him a junior Tripoli membership when he was 7 or 8 years old, and he was thrilled with his ‘rocket license’ aka membership card. Now 15, his goal is to get rid of the zero on his card, replacing it with a TMP cert. For the test it’s not a deterrent - it’s a goal. Goals are a good thing!

I want to get my Jr HPR but im not sure whether or not its worth it because of everything that you have to do. And do you have to have a parent buy the motor with proof of your certification if you wanted to fly HPR?

I want to get my Jr HPR but im not sure whether or not its worth it because of everything that you have to do. And do you have to have a parent buy the motor with proof of your certification if you wanted to fly HPR?
You would have to have an adult buy and handle the motor as those under 18 are not allowed under federal law to purchase or handle the motors.
Which part are you not sure is worth it? Talk to the members of the club you fly with to get their opinions and ideas about it.

I think one of the things that come into play is that a person needs to be at a legal age where they can be held accountable for their actions. 18 or above is the legal age of responsibility and when you get to handling explosives and dealing with the energies involved above level 1 you need to be able to be held accountable for your actions.

The CPSC rule that codifies the 18 year old restriction dates back to when the largest rocket motor available was an F. We met with the CPSC at their headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland asking that they conform the rule with the changes the FAA had made to Part 101. Note, this would have allowed youth to purchase G motors. High Power was outside of this ask.

CPSC’s lawyers would consider this request if we presented data that the risks of operating (my word) a G motor is no greater than a F motor.

No such data exists. I’m not saying that a G motor is dangerous, just that there’s no scientific data identifying the level of risk of a F versus a G motor.

We walked out of the meeting realizing that the CPSC was 100% behind the status quo and there was nothing we could do to change their view.

I think they are fine the way they are now personally, and that's coming from someone that has been flying low power since 1990 and just got the L1 this year as an adult.

After getting back into this, I feel you don't need anymore as a 14 to 17 year old than the L1 motors available already. I think its a good thing they started the Jr program but waiting until your 18 to is also probably best from a legal standpoint too to go further.

I understand that there are federal laws prohibiting the possession of high power motors to those under 18 regardless of certification. I also understand that those of us with undeveloped brains can make some poor choices. I myself have enjoyed the close interaction I had with my mentor during my junior certification and still have when I fly high power. It is extremely valuable to have someone experienced guiding you. However, I wonder if this is necessary for juniors that have been flying high power for years. I am writing an argumentative paper for school in favor of more possibilities for junior high power rocketeers and am interested to know what the public opinion is. I am personally of the opinion that juniors should have more freedoms like being able to certify level 2 and fly by themselves etc, but I am eager to hear your thoughts. I hope to hear both sides of the argument so I can have lots of input. Please consider sharing your thoughts on the subject. Should juniors be able to prove themselves responsible enough to have the same privileges as a certified adult? or are junior certifications dangerous enough as they are? Whatever the opinions, I know minors can't be in possession of high power motors but I would love to hear your views all the same. Thanks for taking the time to read this and for all responses!

This sounds like Ham Radio Tech licenses wanting more bands they can work on...

Live in your bubble. As an expert in human development and medicine, we know as the mind develops it is better able to handle impulse control.

Back to the topic. There is a good reason for cert flights to be limited to adults. Rocket motors are dangerous, and teenagers under 18 are much more likely to take risks than those 18 and above. You cannot individualize rules and laws or you have anarchy.

Auto insurance companies support this. Almost every provider out there lowers insurance rates as drivers get older, all other things being equal.

So, by your logic and training, people under the age of 25 should not even be allowed to vote? You also know that our nation deems 18 year olds suficently developed to arm and send out to kill people (ideally with supervision).
Well, sort of. They don't get "sent out to kill people" as you put it without SIGNIFICANT training. A huge chunk of that training is learning to follow orders, including when killing someone is AUTHORIZED and when it's not.

Back