polish for rockets????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur dent

Reaction score
Has anyone ever polished a rocket or considered polishing.Would this help the finish???

Yes I always polish my Gloss finished models with either Future floor finish or Nu-finish polymer car polish. I prefer the Nu-finish to the Future which yellow over time. but both have worked well for me. Semi-gloss and flat finished models do not recieved any wax or polish overcoats.

Yes, I have a product in a little bottle called MODELER'S WAX. I think it is really just a carnuba wax like you might use on an automobile, but not very much abrasive additives in it. I use KRYLON spray paint and sometimes with humidity in the 60% or more range, there are paint dulling problems in drying. Polishing with a carnuba wax will bring back the SHINE!!! You can treat your rocket paint job just like you treat your auto. I don't rub it over decals though!:)

Future floor polish is called Klear, on our side of the pond John. Sliverleaf posted a link to a superb article on the stuff in this thread.

After reading that, I went out and spent £3.99 on a bottle, and I'm well chuffed with the results. It gives a realistic 'sheen' to the model, and protects decals - especially important for waterslide decals.

Originally posted by cydermaster
Future floor polish is called Klear, on our side of the pond John. Sliverleaf posted a link to a superb article on the stuff in this thread.

After reading that, I went out and spent £3.99 on a bottle, and I'm well chuffed with the results. It gives a realistic 'sheen' to the model, and protects decals - especially important for waterslide decals.

I second that. Johnson Kleer is great on rockets.

P.S. Nice Avatar ;)

Originally posted by arthur dent
where should i be looking for a bottle of klear wax??
I got mine from the hardware/ironmonger store over the road from my work. They do it in my local Co-Op too. Look near the scouring pads & blu-loo blocks. Don't look for wax, it comes as a liquid in a bottle like Flash/Mr Sheen floor-cleaning stuffs.

PS. Ta for the avatar, Hokky. I promised myself I'd use it when I got past 1,000 posts.

Originally posted by Micromister
Yes I always polish my Gloss finished models with either Future floor finish or Nu-finish polymer car polish. I prefer the Nu-finish to the Future which yellow over time.

I've not been using Future for long enough to make my own call about yellowing, but there is at least some opinion that Future itself is not the cause of yellowing:

https://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

PS. Ta for the avatar, Hokky. I promised myself I'd use it when I got past 1,000 posts.

Dan, looks great but what is it? I've been sat here getting dizzy by trying to twist my head so I could get a better look...still can't see it.

Originally posted by Mike
Dan, looks great but what is it? I've been sat here getting dizzy by trying to twist my head so I could get a better look...still can't see it.
LOL - its a center label from an old 2-Tone 7" single. I started using a static version of it a while ago, and one day Hokky posted an animated version for me. The label I oringinally used is from "Message to you RudY" by The Specials, and I got it from here.

The label I oringinally used is from "Message to you RudY" by The Specials...

Which is, incidentally, an all-time classic.

Back