Polecat Aerospace: Opinions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetra2

Reaction score
With ROCStock XX getting closer and closer, only three weeks, four days away, I'm trying to figure out what I want to spend the $350-ish dollars I'll have. I'm pretty much sold on the 38/240-480 casing set. The thing I'm not quite sold on is the rocket kit I want to buy. I've got the LOC Minee-Magg and the Polecat Thumper Jr. on my decision table. Unless I see something I can't live without out there, I'm going with Polecat.

My question is: What is the general opinion of the Polecat kits, specifically the Thumper Jr.? :confused:

Also, approx. how much more would I have to spend to get him to add a pair of 29mm motor tubes along with the 38mm mount, so that I can airstart a pair of G64's along with the I357? :D

And how popular is the Thumper Jr. itself? :)

Thanks all,
Jason

The only Polecat kit I've seen in person is the Nike Smoke 5.5. Excellent components all the way through. If you are looking for a challenging build, Polecat ain't them. They appear to go together very very easily since the tubes are already glassed & slotted. Just epoxy everything together like it shows in the instructions, get a high build primer (like Kilz) to fill the weave, & fly it :)

I like the look of the Thumper (especially the big 10" Thumper for L3). Probably very similar to the LOC Minnie Magg except for being heavier because of the 'glassed tubes & nosecone. Doesn't sound like you can really go wrong with either one.

HTH,

Jason, Mr Polecat (Andy) is very accommodating. call him and ask him to drill a couple holes in the CRs for your 29mm MMTs and include some MMTs in your kit.

if you don't mind flying "naked" you could build the Thumper Jr with 15 minute epoxy and fly it right there.

see you at rocstock!!

Just built and flew my Thumper (7.5") w/ a 75mm MMT on AMW K450 and K600. Flew great, but had a chute tangle on the second flight and came in ~60 fps. Will rebuild the booster and fly it again.

Highly recommended and Andy's a great guy to deal with.

-bill

That was easy enough!

I just called Andy to have him have my Thumper Jr. with extra 29mm mounts. He told me instead of having two, go with four. I was like, OK! Not a bad deal - I'll get the extra four mounts for only $20 more! :)

Impressed,
Jason

Andy's a great guy, very easy to deal with, and his kits are top-notch! Terrific structural design, very rugged, and easy to assemble. The instructions are excellent too with plenty of photos and details.

Originally posted by jetra2
That was easy enough!

I just called Andy to have him have my Thumper Jr. with extra 29mm mounts. He told me instead of having two, go with four. I was like, OK! Not a bad deal - I'll get the extra four mounts for only $20 more! :)

Impressed,
Jason

Are you picking up this rocket at ROCStock or are you just having it shipped? Otherwise, Jason will be riding cargo and the rocket in his seat up in coach next to me. :D

I'm gonna pick it up at ROCstock...I can barely wait!

Vendors, come prepared...Jason has money! :D :D

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
I'm gonna pick it up at ROCstock...I can barely wait!

Vendors, come prepared...Jason has money! :D :D

Jason

If we (So. Cal.) keep getting all of this unseasonable early rain, thar ain't gonna be no ROCstock!

I love the rain and we really need it, BUT this is not normal for us. We've got another decent storm headed our way that is supposed to bring another 1-2 inches of rain. The last storm actually turned the lakebed back into a lake. I am pretty confident that if we do not receive any more rain after this, then the lakebed should be dried up enough to fly on. Also, there is a wedding taking place on the saturday of ROCstock. If it gets rained out, I have no idea what they will do. Keep the fingers crossed.

...Fudd

Originally posted by Fuddrucker
If we (So. Cal.) keep getting all of this unseasonable early rain, thar ain't gonna be no ROCstock!

I love the rain and we really need it, BUT this is not normal for us. We've got another decent storm headed our way that is supposed to bring another 1-2 inches of rain. The last storm actually turned the lakebed back into a lake. I am pretty confident that if we do not receive any more rain after this, then the lakebed should be dried up enough to fly on. Also, there is a wedding taking place on the saturday of ROCstock. If it gets rained out, I have no idea what they will do. Keep the fingers crossed.

...Fudd

A few months back, there was one of those rare desert rainstorms out in the Plaster City desert area, and things got pretty muddy. But Andy was out there, trailer of goodies and all. Because of the rain, he hadn't gotten his store set up yet, so he recruited some of us club members to help, and we got everything set up so that the boxes/bins that were susceptible to water damage stayed off the ground.

We launched as soon as we got the pads/support equipment set up, and eventually the ground dried up.

ROCstock WILL happen, come storm or high water!

After all, there's Deuces to launch!

WW:D

Back