Polecat Aerospace Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bguffer

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Polecat Aerospace Mercury Redstone kit? Particularly 1) does the capsule have any scale detail? 2) What is the highest amount of wind you would launch it in? 3) How would one go about acquiring decals? (I don't think decals are included. Correct me if i am wrong.)

Bob

I am actually finishing a 5.5" Polecat Redstone right now. It comes with just the United States decals for the body, no capsule decals at all. I have ordered more detailed decals through Mark @ Stickershock. The capsule itself is smooth and void of any detail. I am using an Atomic City 1/12 scale Redstone capsule to provide even more detail. The Atomic city skin fits pretty well over the fiberglass polecat capsule with only a little modification. It provides all the detail you could want along with a very detailed escape tower and every waterslide decal to fit all known mercury capsule markings. The polecat kit is great and uses great quality materials. I will try and post some pictures soon.

Good luck with your project, you will love the Polecat kit

Patrick

I am actually finishing a 5.5" Polecat Redstone right now. It comes with just the United States decals for the body, no capsule decals at all. I have ordered more detailed decals through Mark @ Stickershock. The capsule itself is smooth and void of any detail. I am using an Atomic City 1/12 scale Redstone capsule to provide even more detail. The Atomic city skin fits pretty well over the fiberglass polecat capsule with only a little modification. It provides all the detail you could want along with a very detailed escape tower and every waterslide decal to fit all known mercury capsule markings. The polecat kit is great and uses great quality materials. I will try and post some pictures soon.

Good luck with your project, you will love the Polecat kit

Patrick

I would definitely be interested in seeing some pictures of how well the capsule turns out. I had not thought of using an existing plastic model to enhance the capsule.

Can anyone answer question2?

Thanks,

Bob

I would definitely be interested in seeing some pictures of how well the capsule turns out. I had not thought of using an existing plastic model to enhance the capsule.

Originally I had planned to fly with the polecat capsule and use the atomic city capsule for display, but when I got them the atomic city capsule fit so nicely over the polecat capsule I decided to just put the atomic city capsule over the polecat. The atomic city kit also comes with the complete capsule interior, but I decided not to use it. I did use the window and cut through the polecat capsule so eventually I might decide to add the interior. I can't help you on the wind, but I do plan on flying mine a week from sunday if I get it completed on time.

Mark will be able to make some realy nice decals fore your rocket. I am sure there is quite a bit of detail just have to decide on the level of detail you want to include. Mark must have a soft spot for the Redstone I remember seeing his fly at my first high power launch when I first started getting back into rocketry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqhvKsFGTtk

Andy

I haven't considered flying mine in anything more than a little more than just mild wind, its fins are far too small for my comfort in flying in windy conditions. For my taste, it is better to leave it sitting on the stand than risking it.

Yes, the nosecone is devoid of any detail. Mine just has the basic flat black paint with matte clear coat.

With the four part fins, I fiberglassed mine and replaced that bottom strip with G10.

024.jpg

I have finished the capsule and added the decals from Stickershock. I also used some of the smaller waterslide decals from Atomic city to provide even more detail. I hope to have it all finished by next weekend.

P1020629.JPG

P1020634.JPG

I finished the redstone last night and plan on flying it next sunday. The decals from stickershock really made it look great. Thanks Mark!!!

P1020638.JPG

I did. I flew it on a J180T Moonburner. It flew great to 2600'. Plan on flying it again next month on a larger motor. I hope to have some pictures soon.

I finished the redstone last night and plan on flying it next sunday. The decals from stickershock really made it look great. Thanks Mark!!!

Chuck, You are more than welcome. Looks great and thanks for the input.

To anyone out there. these decals are available. and to fit almost any size you want to build!!

Back