Polecat Aerospace is back

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm speculating here, but that was right around the time when MadCow started experiencing frequent FG tube availability constraints.
I don't believe they ever rolled their own tubes, so if they ran into issues with their supplier for the core product line, expanding it would have became the least of their priorities.

That, plus someone told me that the large diameter nose cone molds were not part of the Polecat brand's inventory, and recreating those can be fairly expensive.
:rabbitdontknow:

According to some emails that I've had back and forth with MC, Mad Cow never rolled their own fiberglass tubes. When they took over the (at the time much embattled) Rocketry Warehouse fiberglass line, they also bought out the existing stock of kits and components. From there, it has been said, that Curtis Turner supplied MadCow directly with restocks.

Recently, Composite Warehouse has popped back up (a rebranded Rocketry Warehouse??), with all the same old Rocketry Warehouse/MadCow colored G12 fiberglass kits. Folks have been relatively happy with order fulfilment with the new Composite Warehouse, and they've offered more than a few great deals on custom runs rocket kits. Oddly enough, some of the stuff that MC is unable to stock/re-stock has been stocked/delivered by orders to CW!

As for MadCow and PoleCat, just before PC essentially went dark and popped back up under MC, I acquired a Thumper kit that had a severely cracked nose cone and I wanted to buy another. PC never returned emails, and MC did return a few, always promising 'soon' for parts availability......but that turned into vaporware.

Same with the 'new owners'......all contact and promises of 'stock soon' has turned into similar vapor ware.

Keep one thing in mind. Polecat did not make or use fiberglass tubes. They used a standard paper tube laminated with a layer of what appeared to be 4 ounce to 6 ounce glass cloth. The nose cones were gelcoat coated molded layups of glass cloth. Comparing them to the current crop of FG rocket kits is not a good idea. That said, I hope they actually do reopen soon so that I can get some replacement parts.

Last edited:
Keep one thing in mind. Polecat did not make or use fiberglass tubes. The used a standard paper tube laminated with a layer of what appeared to be 4 ounce to 6 ounce glass cloth. The nose cones were gelcoat molded layups of glass cloth. Comparing them to the current crop of FG rocket kits is not a good idea. That said. I hope they actually do reopen soon so that I can get some replacement parts.
*looking at my 5.5" Polecat Mosquito with 1/2" gaps around the nosecone shoulder*
I don't know what you're talking about. They fit together perfectly, first time, every time.

If Polecat starts using newer FWFG tubes and cones, it'll be a huge improvement over what they had. If they keep with the old molds for cones....they leave alot to be desired. I don't want to go back to filling weave on their tubes and adding ALOT of shim on the nosecone shoulders.

*looking at my 5.5" Polecat Mosquito with 1/2" gaps around the nosecone shoulder*
I don't know what you're talking about. They fit together perfectly, first time, every time.

If Polecat starts using newer FWFG tubes and cones, it'll be a huge improvement over what they had. If they keep with the old molds for cones....they leave alot to be desired. I don't want to go back to filling weave on their tubes and adding ALOT of shim on the nosecone shoulders.

I'm not questioning the perceived quality of the original kits. I'm just saying that they were not FWFG and if people are expecting that from the new owners (who were the folks that did the layups for Andy), they might be disappointed. I never had fit problems other than the rounded edge on the nose cone shoulder step meeting the square edge of the cut tube. The glass did require considerable filling and sanding. I suspect the manual work involved in making their parts was why MadCow flopped with them. Well, that or they just could not get the FG components.

IMO, Madcow is a poor shadow of what they were before Mike went on his corporate buying binge.

Last edited:
I hope Polecat reemerges. I have the 4" V2 (my first with electronic deployment), super robust. Would love to get another kit.
Andy Woerner signed off my MiniMagg L1 at LDRS26... (And helped me get rocket set up. A gruff exterior, a really generous, helpful guy). Long time ago.

Back