Polecat 29mm Stretched Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcderek

Free Flight Rocketeer
Reaction score
I found my sons 29mm Polecat Goblin in the 'need repairs' box. IIRC it didn't deploy on its first flight and buried itself in a foot of snow. There is a bit of body tube compression-

ZZrGPW1m.jpg

My plan is to glue some 1/64 ply on the inside below the nosecone and then sand down the paper bump. Other ideas?

Part of the problem is there isn't much room inside the rocket. I have another nosecone that fits and plan to modify so that the chute is in the cone. I'll be able to add nose weight depending on motor as well.

2dTj5RFm.jpg

It's a Stretched Goblin!

I've heard of using couplers to strengthen a tube damaged like that but at least part of the damage is in the nose cone shoulder area so that wouldn't work...

-Bob

Yes, most of the damaged area is on the nosecone shoulder. One thought is to line the inside with carbon tissue which is thinner than the 1/64 ply. Or on the outside once I remove the lumpy parts.

You could still use a coupler ,cut the damaged tube off and add a piece of new body tube at the top.No need for added weight and you can use a longer piece so you have a little more room.Stretch it out a bit.

You could still use a coupler ,cut the damaged tube off and add a piece of new body tube at the top.No need for added weight and you can use a longer piece so you have a little more room.Stretch it out a bit.
That's a smart solution. I think I have a section of body tubing in the stash. Easy enough to make a coupler.

All of the polecats I have are made with a fiberglassed cardboard tube.

I have built that kit,love Madcow kits.They use HD body tubes as well as having them slotted.I still have a Striker kit of theirs unbuilt.I would get a body tube from LOC if Madcow does not sell tubes as I would think they should be the same thichness and inside OD and outside OD hopefully would be the same.You might as well order a coupler if you go that route.Good luck with the repair.

Back