Polecat 10 inch Kit Builders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am looking for anyone who has built and launched a polecat 10 inch kit on an M or greater. I am planning on buying one and building it for level III motors but not neccesarily my level 3 launch. I like the thumper and nike smoke and want opinions on whether or not to fiberglass the wood fins. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I do not glass the 3/8" baltic birch fins on my 7.5" rockets. I've had no trouble with motors up through N.

I am looking for anyone who has built and launched a polecat 10 inch kit on an M or greater. I am planning on buying one and building it for level III motors but not neccesarily my level 3 launch. I like the thumper and nike smoke and want opinions on whether or not to fiberglass the wood fins. Any opinions would be appreciated.

My dad used it for his L3. Ill get him to post some pics. Flown up to 4 grain M4000 on it. Did 4001' feet. Its a heavy beast at 85lbs with 98mm M. but he glassed the fins, and filled the nosecone with foam (thats 20lbs alone).

EDIT: He used the Nike Smoke 10"

Ben

Last edited:
It depends on the specific geometry of your fins and your projected flight profiles, but there is a good general discussion of this topic in this old thread (specific comments on fiberglassing plywood are farther down in the thread).

I used a Polecat 10" Thumper for my L3. Flew it on an M1770 skidmark. I did use a soller composites sleeve on the body and glassed it tip to tip. It weighed in at 70lbs with motor. It flew great and was a succesful L3. Polecat kits are great quality, I am just finishing a 5.5" Jayhawk right now and have built several other polecat kits.

Patrick

Last edited:
I'd trust that the NIKE smoke would hold up nicely, because it weighs so much.

Especially since ben's dad has one. They have probably put it through the devils lair with their EX motors. :roll:

However, do not build one with a 152mm mount :p

I saw a video of Neil McGilvray's NIKE smoke kit(which I believe to be the polecat kit.) Disassemble itself on an O motor.

I'd trust that the NIKE smoke would hold up nicely, because it weighs so much.

Especially since ben's dad has one. They have probably put it through the devils lair with their EX motors. :roll:

However, do not build one with a 152mm mount :p

I saw a video of Neil McGilvray's NIKE smoke kit(which I believe to be the polecat kit.) Disassemble itself on an O motor.

Neils was not 10". It was 11.5" 3/4 scale Perfromance Kit. On fin got to much wobble and ripped itself apart.

Yes, his rocket has survived one CATO and a blow by, its a pretty sturdy rocket.

Ben

Well, the 10" Thumper is not a speed demon. I didn't bother to glass mine. It is an awesome kit (lost one to an M cato, have a second on the build pile.)

Neils was not 10". It was 11.5" 3/4 scale Perfromance Kit. On fin got to much wobble and ripped itself apart.

Oh right, I forgot performance.:rolleyes:

Yes, his rocket has survived one CATO and a blow by, its a pretty sturdy rocket.

Ben

You really can't say many rockets have survived a CATO. Not to mention the NIKE smoke is one of my favorite designs. The only downside I see is having to boost the guides off the airframe 3/4 of an inch.

Well, the 10" Thumper is not a speed demon. I didn't bother to glass mine.

Seconded. A friend and I built a 10" Thumper a while back with a 48" airframe extension and flew it on an N + 4 Ks... even without glass, the fins stayed on through a CATO, early chute deployment, and lots of loops :D https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=18091

Charlie Cox (speedyweasel around these parts) did his L3 with a 10" Nike with no glass on the fins, AFAIK. He's flown it on M1600 and M1419, and we're planning to do an N for it at LDRS this year if the OSFM gods allow.

Bottom line - I doubt you need glass on the fins of either of those kits. Go for it!

I have good luck with Polecat kits and tubing in general. I certified all 3 levels with them... (level 1 = 4.0" Jayhawk, level 2 = Woket, level 3 = 7.5" Patriot.) In addition, I have built and flown a 3.0" Goblin, a 5.5" Jayhawk, and a scratch 7.5" project. The only negative comment I have heard is the possibility of tube delamination from the inside, so I skim coat the exposed insides with a thin epoxy layer. Back to your specific question, I am in process of scratch building a 10" Jayhawk using Polecat tubing, which will be flown on an N motor in October. (here... https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=9044) I will be glassing (and carbon fiber) the wings, mostly just cause they are really big, both to resist any flutter tendencies and to help it survive the landing. If the thought of glassing has crossed your mind, though, I would recommend going ahead and doing it. Think of it as cheap insurance. If you do it, you will never know if you needed to or not. If you don't, you might know.

I've never had a Polecat kit, but reading through the instructions for the 7.5" Patriot, they specifically as not to put fillets or fiberglass on the fins. The joints are break points. The fins will stay on in flight and if they do break on landing, the joints break providing an easy fix. If you use fillets/glass, then the fin material will break and it's a much more difficult repair.

Sounds kind of like the Aerotech snap-loc fin setup on their MPR kits.

Back