Poka Dot Alpha Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accooper

Reaction score
OK, I have been working on an Alpha upscale. It is exactly like building an Alpha, just bigger, so I won't go through a build thread.

BUT, I would like to explain how I got those poka dots. I used the center sticker from a DVD label! They worked great although I had to come up with some way to apply them so they would come off with out damaging the paint job.

I tried to take pictures, but they just didn't show what I wanted them to. So, I will try to explain.

After you use the DVD label, cut out the center sticker without removing it from the backing. Then go along the edge like you would if you where making a paper transition curling just the edge. Do this until the center is kinda domed. Then carefully remove the sticker from the backing and place it where you want it on the rocket body or cone or fin. Gently but firmly press just the edge of the sticker making sure of a good seal along the edge. This will take some practice, but it ain't hard if I can do it.

When you are finished placing the stickers it will look like you have little round pillows attached to your rocket.

When you paint it is very important that you paint VERY LIGHT coats. My Alpha took five light coats.

When you have done as many coats as you think it needs, let the paint dry completely. I let mine sit for two days to be sure. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the pillow in the center and gently lifted it off. This left a smaller circle than the original sticker, but a perfect circle.

My Alpha has a BT-60 body tube, but this may work on smaller, and for sure on larger BT's.

But remember, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Andrew
Dark Lord Of The Scratch Builders
Sith Powers, some say are unnatural.

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

Wow, that looks pretty cool!

I'm not sure what you mean by DVD labels though. Specifically, where on the DVD?

My dad and I are going to build a 6x alpha eventually. 6 inches in diameter and about 6' 8" tall.

They are the throw away stickers from the center hole. About 1.5 inches in diameter.

Andrew
Dark Lord Of The Scratch Build

I used a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the pillow in the center and gently lifted it off. This left a smaller circle than the original sticker, but a perfect circle.

Why did it leave a smaller circle than the original sticker? I have never used stick on label for a CD or DVD.

I like the idea of the circles though.

Because as they dome up they loose a little circumference.

Andrew

No, it is from you doming them up before you put them on your rocket.

Andrew

Back