Pointers for learning Fusion 360?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian A

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a newbie again when it comes to CAD. I already have an Autodesk Fusion 360 subscription that came with my Eagle circuit board design software, and it sounds like it has a competitive combination of capability and ease of use, so I’d like to start eith that. I used a variety of 3D modeling and simulation tools in the early 90s, and dabbled in TurboCAD in the early 2000s, but I haven’t done any 3D modeling work since. Does anyone have a recommendation for tutorials or YouTube videos to get me up to speed, or should I just grope my way through it? I’m planning to 3D print nosecones, dissolvable nosecone mandrels, tooling jigs, and av-bay related parts.

Some things I’m wondering about are how to design supports and how much control or options I have for low-density volume fills. How much is done in the slicer software? How are materials changes for dissolvable supports specified?

I'm a regular user of CAD for work and have been using programs like Revit, AutoCAD, 3D Studio, and Rhino for some time. With that, I really just jumped into Fusion and groped around until I learned it. For me, this is the best way to learn new applications. The concepts are fairly universal though the interface is quite different from the other Autodesk offerings I've used.
I might recommend starting with Autodesk's initial tutorials.
https://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/courses/Since you have some CAD experience, this may give you enough to just dive right in and feel your away around.

Adrian,
Fusion is a full parametric solid modelling program.
Arguably the most powerful aspect of parametric design is the sketch, utilizing constraints.
Constraints are either numerical dimensions setting a length or angle to geometric constraints, which will lock or limit the motion of a line or point in relation to other lines and points.
From there, you can extrude, revolve, cut, sweep, loft your way to creating solids.

Here's a couple Youtube resources to get you started:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fusion+360+constraints
-This is just a search within youtube for constraints. The first 3-4 hits look to be good

-This one looks like a short course which touches many of the tools

Some things I’m wondering about are how to design supports and how much control or options I have for low-density volume fills. How much is done in the slicer software? How are materials changes for dissolvable supports specified?
Most settings for supports are done in the slicer. You can make custom supports within your model. I don't have experience with this.
My "design for 3d printing methodology" is such that I try to design for minimal supports. Holes/circles are hexagons oriented such that vertex is in the printing direction so supports aren't needed like a traditional hole.

Most of the slicers out there have all sorts of volume infill patterns.
My biggest advice for infill is to use it only when necessary, and don't rely on it to add a bunch of strength to your part.
Rely on walls/perimeters and bottom/top layers for strength. Keep infill as low as possible such that your filament can be bridged properly and you get nice top layers(assuming traditional filament printing.

Hopefully this helps in some way.
Dave

I've been an AutoCAD user since the 1980's. I truly find Fusion to be counter intuitive. Having used Autodesk Inventor for years I like how creating models is similar to manufacturing methods. Draw a cube and start adding features.

I also don't like that Fusion is "cloud" based.

Old dogs and new tricks.

For me, the best way to learn the software would be to take a week long hands on class. If your use to using a different software program, there really is no substitute for having an instructor looking over your shoulder, explaining theory and making suggestions. Otherwise you could be taking the long way, when there's a shortcut you'll never be aware of.

I've had to get accustomed to the cloud based setup... And having only ten files active at a time. That kind of sucks when you're working on a big project as a hobbyist.

I use Inventor exclusively at work, and have AutoCAD on my work machine as well. Sometimes I just want to lay it out in AutoCAD, dang it!

Fusion really makes me cross my eyes a lot. I hate the constraints. I've not been able to figure out how to make a rotational assembly to do a visual model of how a mechanism works. And that part sucks. It really does. And I don't use it enough to get it figured out. I can use my lunch break and snap it out in inventor real quick... But since it's on a work machine, I have to be careful about saving files, sharing files, etc... Which is why I invested in a new machine at home to be able to use Fusion for now. I would like to consider the suite for Inventor at home but I don't use it nearly enough and I don't see myself using it enough over the next few years to justify my expense with the addition of another family member this summer.

So, patience... And good luck. Looking forward to seeing what you come out with. I would love it if Altimeter manufacturers had STL files of their altimeters available so that I can just whip up an e-bay design right off the bat. Right now I'm working backwards from the altimeters on hand - but also recognize that our manufacturers are very busy cranking out product in their free time, so I can't blame them for not having one available.

So, patience... And good luck. Looking forward to seeing what you come out with. I would love it if Altimeter manufacturers had STL files of their altimeters available so that I can just whip up an e-bay design right off the bat. Right now I'm working backwards from the altimeters on hand - but also recognize that our manufacturers are very busy cranking out product in their free time, so I can't blame them for not having one available.

STL files for the Featherweight tracker, Raven 4 (same mounting interfaces as the Blue Raven) and the 38mm av-bay were made by a friend and I posted them on the Featherweight website. Part of my motivation for re-learning 3D modeling is to make models for the rest of the products too.

I've been an AutoCAD user since the 1980's. I truly find Fusion to be counter intuitive.

This. I use AC at work. Not a pro, but I know how to do what I do.

In AC, if I want to set up a bunch of points to draw a spline through, I type in the points, which can be done by making the text for all the lines in Word or whatever (for a big list, I can start with Excel, save as a CSV, and do some comma removal in a text editor), copying the whole thing, and CTRL-Ving once in the command line. Then I draw a spline through them.

In F360, the only way I could figure out to get it done was to put a bunch of points in whatever random location clicking on the screen got them to. Then I had to set up X and Y dimensions separately for each point and type them in. Those are displayed in boxes that massively clutter up the screen, which sucks. Then I could draw the spline through them. Yuuuge PITA, I thought.

Will watch the videos linked above and see if I'm missing something major.

I've had to get accustomed to the cloud based setup... And having only ten files active at a time. That kind of sucks when you're working on a big project as a hobbyist.

I use Inventor exclusively at work, and have AutoCAD on my work machine as well. Sometimes I just want to lay it out in AutoCAD, dang it!

Fusion really makes me cross my eyes a lot. I hate the constraints. I've not been able to figure out how to make a rotational assembly to do a visual model of how a mechanism works. And that part sucks. It really does. And I don't use it enough to get it figured out. I can use my lunch break and snap it out in inventor real quick... But since it's on a work machine, I have to be careful about saving files, sharing files, etc... Which is why I invested in a new machine at home to be able to use Fusion for now. I would like to consider the suite for Inventor at home but I don't use it nearly enough and I don't see myself using it enough over the next few years to justify my expense with the addition of another family member this summer.

Great post.

The constraints are frustrating. I first tried FreeCAD... it was wonky so I figured since Fusion is an Autodesk product, surely the constraints would be similar to Inventor.. they are not, and you don't need to call them Shirley.

I'm guessing the constraint changes are based on a different theory of solid modeling?

There are several things you can do to steepen your learning curve. This thread is not about "how bad is Fusion" or "I like something different" so my recommendation is based solely on using Fusion 360. I use Fusion almost exclusively and found there are no limitations in it for what I need to accomplish. I use the "Personal" (free) version and after having used the "full" version, I found that there are workarounds to every limit placed on the free version. For example, export the files (.f3d/.stl/whatever) to your computer and the "10 limit" isn't a factor. Here are a couple of tips for Fusion:

1) Watch a lot of YouTube videos (as most have said). Have Fusion open and follow along while the video is playing the "second" time. In other words, watch the video, then watch it again while doing it on Fusion. I like Tyler Beck videos. https://www.youtube.com/@TylerBeckofTECHESPRESSO
2) Focus on parameters and constraints. Once you master those, parametric design is simple and those makes a world of difference and can lower the frustration level. Also, to a lesser extent, learn the "Project" command early!
3) Reverse-engineer a part or object. Have it in hand so when you "design" it in F360, you have something you can directly relate to. This helps you visualize the part a lot easier in F360. You can take dimensions straight off the part and when done, and if you print it, you'll have a something to compare it to and see where things worked and didn't work.
4) Start by using Tinkercad to design a simple part. Then design the same part in Fusion. This will allow you to see the relationship between commands and outcome. Tinkercad is about as simple as it gets for CAD so relating the simple functions between the two helps. They are both Autodesk products (Autodesk didn't start TC, they bought them).
5) Start all designs in 2D sketch/Solid. Once you master the program, you can move to Surface modeling where it's a little more difficult to size the object initially.

No matter which product you use, it will all boil down to familiarity and experience.

The infils are generally done with your slicer. It can be done in a CAD program but in most cases, it's probably better to let the slicer optimize the infill. Dissolvable supports are controlled in the slicer with specific material settings. Not really any different than other FFM printing material.

Last edited:

Fusion really makes me cross my eyes a lot. I hate the constraints. I've not been able to figure out how to make a rotational assembly to do a visual model of how a mechanism works.
My free license for Inventor is going to run out in June, using it for last 8 years, and I am dreading moving to Fusion, I can't justify the cost of inventor even with the token system. Can Fusion open Inventor files to transfer work?

My free license for Inventor is going to run out in June, using it for last 8 years, and I am dreading moving to Fusion, I can't justify the cost of inventor even with the token system. Can Fusion open Inventor files to transfer work?
Yes...but. The commercial version does it on the fly but requires a Fusion Team account. The Personal version (free hobby) not so much. In the hobby version of F360, you have to convert the file to a STEP format then load it to F360.

Last edited:
There are several things you can do to steepen your learning curve. This thread is not about "how bad is Fusion" or "I like something different" so my recommendation is based solely on using Fusion 360. I use Fusion almost exclusively and found there are no limitations in it for what I need to accomplish. I use the "Personal" (free) version and after having used the "full" version, I found that there are workarounds to every limit placed on the free version. For example, export the files (.f3d/.stl/whatever) to your computer and the "10 limit" isn't a factor. Here are a couple of tips for Fusion:

1) Watch a lot of YouTube videos (as most have said). Have Fusion open and follow along while the video is playing the "second" time. In other words, watch the video, then watch it again while doing it on Fusion. I like Tyler Beck videos. https://www.youtube.com/@TylerBeckofTECHESPRESSO
2) Focus on parameters and constraints. Once you master those, parametric design is simple and those makes a world of difference and can lower the frustration level. Also, to a lesser extent, learn the "Project" command early!
3) Reverse-engineer a part or object. Have it in hand so when you "design" it in F360, you have something you can directly relate to. This helps you visualize the part a lot easier in F360. You can take dimensions straight off the part and when done, and if you print it, you'll have a something to compare it to and see where things worked and didn't work.
4) Start by using Tinkercad to design a simple part. Then design the same part in Fusion. This will allow you to see the relationship between commands and outcome. Tinkercad is about as simple as it gets for CAD so relating the simple functions between the two helps. They are both Autodesk products (Autodesk didn't start TC, they bought them).
5) Start all designs in 2D sketch/Solid. Once you master the program, you can move to Surface modeling where it's a little more difficult to size the object initially.

No matter which product you use, it will all boil down to familiarity and experience.

The infils are generally done with your slicer. It can be done in a CAD program but in most cases, it's probably better to let the slicer optimize the infill. Dissolvable supports are controlled in the slicer with specific material settings. Not really any different than other FFM printing material.
Sounds like excellent advice.

Infill and supports are nearly always done in the slicer. The new version of the PrusaSlicer has very cool ‘organic’ (also called tree) support painting capabilities. You can also easily modify many printing parameters using shapes that allow you to enforce or block certain attributes. For example, I use shapes to change the number of perimeters around screw holes or to change the print speed as the nose cone tapers. Not to alarm you, but learning all the capabilities of good slicing software is almost as daunting as learning a decent CAD program.

For what it’s worth, I used the STL of the tracker when designing my latest mount for it in OpenSCAD. (Unfortunately OpenSCAD doesn't import STEP files yet, only STLs.) Being able to see how it fit in the mount before printing was very useful. It would be great to have models (both STEP and STL) of all the parts.

Tony

Here's my latest mount designed to hold a 1S 2000mAh battery and controlled by a Featherweight magnetic switch and using the tracker STL file. The second image is the model in PrusaSlicer. There is an internal 1/4" nut that is used to attach the mount to the nose cone bulk head. I've added a modifier cylinder to the area under the nut so it is printed with all perimeter layers for maximum strength against crushing when being snugged up against the bulkhead. (The model is set to print with 4 perimeters as the default setting.)
tracker-mount.png
extra-perimeters.png

Last edited:
In the hobby version of F360, you have to convert the file to a STEP format then load it to F360.
But you lose all the parametric data. I can probably afford the Fusion360 commercial version.

Back