PML Small Endeavour L1 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r3tic

Reaction score
Before TRF crashed I started a build thread for my PML Small Endeavour that I intend to use for my TRA L1 certification flight. I've been very busy and just got aroung to updating the thread only to find it missing. So here we go, build thread v2.0.

My initial plan was to convert the kit to a dual deploy setup. For my certification flight I will use the motor ejection just to keep it as simple as possible. Attached is my newest RockSim file with the weights adjusted for the lack of elecronics, add 142g to the electronics mass item and adjust flight events for dual deploy simulations.

View attachment PML Small Endeavour Dual Deploy.rkt

This is the kit fresh out of the packaging...

stockkit.jpg

changes I made are as follows...
longer MMTto accommodate bigger motors
29mm-38mm adapter to accommodate smaller motors
cut body tube in half for dual deploy
upgrade recovery harness to 1/8" kevlar
18" PML drouge chute
48" PML main chute
electronics bay
rail buttons

Sorry for not having all of my build photos, but I experienced a hard drive crash last year and lost most of the photos I have take in the past 4 years.

First up the motor mount, forward centering ring and shock cord attachment. The Kevlar was strung through the centering ring, spread out on the end, tied down with 100# kevlar thread and finally glassed down with some 6oz cloth. In short it's not coming off any time soon...
shockcord2.jpg

Here is a close up of the over build...
shockcord1.jpg

This photo shows the MMT and the PML retainer dry fitted...
retainer.jpg

This is a shot of the body tube cut to allow for dual deploy. I found out about products like the Tether after building this rocket. Would have made things simplier. Oh well...
cut.jpg

The next four shots show how I lined up the fins by clamping them between two strips of wood. Also notice the holes drilled in the fin tabs for the epoxy rivits...
fins1.jpg

fins2.jpg

fins3.jpg

fins4.jpg

After all of the fins had set I applied internal fillets of milled glass in epoxy to strengthen the attachment. I also filled the fincan with expanding foam. This photo shows the fins attached and the rear centering epoxied in place...
fins5.jpg

This is what the fillets look like...
fillets.jpg

For the electronics I am using the PML Co-Pilot with the cpr2000 setup. the electronics are inside the 38mm tube. The larger tube is the coupler for the two body sections. The bulkplate on the left is held in place with two threaded rods and in the center is the attachment point for the drouge in the dual deploy configuration. On the right you see the vent holes for the barometric sensor, the main recovery harness attachment, the centering ring and the top of the electronics sticking out...
ebay2.jpg

Here the ebay is ready to be epoxied into the upper section of the rocket...
ebay1.jpg

This is about where the old thread left off. Since then I have finished the rocket off by adding the rail buttons and painting it. Having moved three times since painting it I have also added a significant amout of scratches to the finish. I will add some final photos as soon as I can. Questions and comments are all welcome. I only need to get in touch with the St. Louis Rocketry Association and load up a H-128W. Hopefully I will get about 1300' and back again without any major problems.

Very nice. I have been thinking about going with this kit for my L1 as well. I was originally going to go with a Talon 2 but this is a real nice rocket. I can't wait to see the finished rocket.

As a hard core Endeavor addict I heartily approve.

Question - I see the charge canister for the CPR2K system, however I only see one. Are you planning long term motor eject for apogee and electronics for main?

I ask because the Small Endeavor begs for Warp9 launches. The last launch of mine ended badly with a deployment failure on an H669N, however right before that it was a I1299N (0-592MPH in .3 seconds!)

I am rebuilding...

H Rocket...there is only one ejection canister due to the lack of space in the bt, if it were a couple of inches longer I could use both canisters. I'm not sure if I want to use motor ejection or if I should drill a hole in the bulkhead and pass wires through it. I will most likely do the later for better accuracy.

Do you know if there are RockSim files for the warp 9 propellants?

And now, for the final photos...until flight time.

This is a shot of the whole rocket...
full.jpg

The paint I use is the color shifting type, it has a black base and appears to be dark red when viewed head on and green when viewed from an angle. The next two shots of the fins show this the best I can get my camera to capture it. in real life it is a far more impressive effect...
finpaint.jpg

finpaint1.jpg

Here is my DD Small Endeavor Rocksim File with the Warp9 flights

I use an ARTS for the avionics as shown...

DSCN0862.jpg

DSCN0867.jpg

Oh, yeah...the obligatory carnage photo

2640_1033666564127_1299300567_30097227_3341584_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch...

The small endeavour is a great little rocket - I flew mine a number of times before it finally succumbed to an incredibly long delay on an H144, resulting in what can only be described as a phenomenal zipper (all the way back to the motor mount). It flies really well on the Animal I271BB :)

Launch date is set.......April 18 weather permitting I will attempt my L1

Great looking rocket there man, and good luck on the level 1 flight. I built the endeavour once, about 5-6 years ago, with the hopes of doing jr. level 1 (before there was an official jr. level 1 around :p). Unfortunately my dad knocked it off the shelf in the garage while taking the christmas tree out to the garbage in January. Cracked two fins and snapped the body tube in half (the cold probably didn't help). Needless to say it ended up sitting next to the christmas tree on the side of the road that night.

Maybe this will inspire me to take on a new endeavour (pun intended).

Good luck on the L1 attempt. My suggestion would be to consider the DD for your L1. I know a lot of people say you shouldn't, but I did and had no problems. It does have advantages in that you get opening right at apogee with a greatly reduced chance of zippers and deployment issues. You can use a bigger main then if you deploy at apogee which gives you a gentler landing with less chance of damage and still have a shorter walk. I realize it can be a little more complicated, but if you have your rocket set up for DD, I think it can make your L1 flight more likely to succeed then not. I know that mine was much better off. I'm not sure I would have found it if I hadn't flown DD.

Back