PML Phobos, nose cone screws

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillard

Reaction score
I've just about finished my PML Phobos (38mm version)
the instructions call for 4 holes to be drill in the payload section.
the first is an air bleed hole - no problems there.
the next three is for three screws to fix the nose cone on.

so here's my question:

am i making a mistake by not bothering with the nose cone retention screws?

my main reason for this is that i think it will spoil the look of the rocket. the nose cone fits very snug into the payload section, and is in place much more firmly that the payload section fits into the main bodytube, so there's little chance of the nose cone coming off before the payload section.
I thought that it could be that after (or at) ejection the momentum of the nose cone might cause it to separate from the payload section.

could i leave the screws out and attach an anchor to the inside of the paload section, with a shock cord tied to the nosecone, just in case - it would make the rocket look cleaner and i'm putting an anchor inside anyway for the altimeter.

any thoughts welcome.

If you attach the nosecone to a shock cord inside the payload bay and it fits snugly you should be fine.

I have seen unretained PML nose cones pop out of Quantum tube at the ejection event.

My Phobos has screws.

Al

My first Phobos had screws and I thought it looked awful after I did it. My second Phobos has no screws, I just friction fit the nosecone and it works fine. I also have a .125" pressure relief hole drilled into the payload section.

Back