PML Patriot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am thinking about buying the Public Missiles 1/4 Patriot. Does anyone have some information about the kit other than information taht is on the PML website? Is it a pretty good engineered rocket kit? What are the pros and cons of the Patriot? I will be launching it with the 38mm H and I motors.

I am sure the PML kit is a fine kit..I would go with the phenolic tube version if I were to get their Patriot..I opted to get the Performance Rocketry 1/4 scale Patriot as it is an all fiberglass kit and comes with a 54mm motor mount(you can always adapt down). The PR kit is ~$20 more then the PML kit, but I think the all fiberglass material makes it worth it and more durable..

If you decide instead on the PR kit, order from a distributor like Wildman or Liberty Launch(Rockets Magazine)

The PML 1/4 partriot is a great kit. It was my first PML kit, and I have many flights with it with 38mm H through baby J motors (did my level 2 with this kit on a J350 after a payload mod to allow dual deploy). There are of course pros and cons to quantum tube, but I really liked the QT version I built. Very easy to finish, and plenty tough for how I wanted to fly it. The piston of course requires a bit of care to fit and the ejection residue must be carefully cleaned out after each flight to maintain easy motion. Some don't like them, and leave them out. Generally though, for me it was a nice introduction to larger HPR rockets, and is still a favorite to fly. I would not bother with the phenolic version, as it would really need to be fiberglassed.

Jon suggested the PR all fiberglass kit as an alternative. A friend of mine built one, and it is also a great kit; simpler to build in some ways as it has no payload section (which makes for more mods if you want to build for DD though). Its a bit pricier too - Wildman lists the PML kit for ~$100, and the PR kit for $189. Hmm, Liberty launch has it for $115 - but you can get the PML for a bit less than MSRP too. But.... the PR kit does not include any shock cords or parachutes - making the difference in price greater (PML includes everything); also PR provides no instructions(not a big deal). It is tougher though, but heavier as well. You can definitely stuff bigger motors in the PR kit(has a 54mm mount) than the stock PML if you want. It all depends what you want out of it.

I agree, the 1/4 patriot is a solid kit. What i enjoyed is that it was the perfect size to do my level 1 and 2 with it...A H123W to 1500' and a J350W to about 4000'. Mine flies incredible on I and J motors. The only negative thing i would say is that the fins are 1/16", so i have done a couple of layers of tip to tip the fin section, to reduce flutter. I'd say this is only necessary with larger motors. The PR kit definitely has the components to take a larger motor. I could post a picture of mine if you would like to see one in flight.

I have really enjoyed my PML 1/4 scale Patriot, it's a great flyer. I got my level 1 using a H123 which is a perfect combo.

The only thing I would change is leaving the piston out since it's a pain. The quantum tube is very temperature sensitive, so the piston really tightens up in cold weather. It's a minor problem that's easily solved.

Patriot-1.jpg

Sweet pic! So if you recommened not to use the piston ejection system for protection of the recovery what do you recommened to protection?

Sweet pic! So if you recommened not to use the piston ejection system for protection of the recovery what do you recommened to protection?

A Kevlar or Nomex chute protector would work fine. They are sold from most of the major rocket website vendors. Another note is I would recommend replacing the nylon shockcord that comes with the kit with about a equal amount of kevlar shockcord. After flying mine, i discovered that the nylon strapping above the motor tube and below the piston has seems to be a little stiff in areas, which means it could be close to melting. Its definitely something to consider if you plan on flying it frequently.

A Kevlar or Nomex chute protector would work fine. They are sold from most of the major rocket website vendors. Another note is I would recommend replacing the nylon shockcord that comes with the kit with about a equal amount of kevlar shockcord. After flying mine, i discovered that the nylon strapping above the motor tube and below the piston has seems to be a little stiff in areas, which means it could be close to melting. Its definitely something to consider if you plan on flying it frequently.

Exactly, that's how I would do the next one. The piston is a neat idea, but a bit of a pain.

I like the paint job on your Patriot. Never cared for that yellow stripe you see so often.

I have really enjoyed my PML 1/4 scale Patriot, it's a great flyer. I got my level 1 using a H123 which is a perfect combo.

The only thing I would change is leaving the piston out since it's a pain. The quantum tube is very temperature sensitive, so the piston really tightens up in cold weather. It's a minor problem that's easily solved.

I am glad to hear this. I am planning on doing my Level 1 Cert flight in February with this exact combo. My Patriot doesn't look as nice as yours though but hopefully it will fly as well.

I am glad to hear this. I am planning on doing my Level 1 Cert flight in February with this exact combo. My Patriot doesn't look as nice as yours though but hopefully it will fly as well.

Mack, I'm sure yours looks great. With this combo I'm sure that you will be successful.

Good luck!

Back