Quantcast

PML Bulldog feedback

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

dixontj93060

Reaction score
I'm stealing some "in between" shop time away from my L3 build to construct a PML Bulldog (some pics attached). In playing around with the main airframe now installed on the tailcone (tipping it over and such), it is obvious that the canard fins are probably at a 50-50 chance of getting a nice "punch" upon landing (not to mention if the chute opens and drags the airframe). It seems like these things are going to be a real PITA. Just wondering for those that have built this kit: Have you had problems with the canard fins? What measures have you taken to protect them? (I can guess this, but I'm really wondering how far you have needed to go to get them to stay in place). Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Gettin'There.jpg

MainAirframeInstalled.jpg

Mid-CR&AftCoupler.jpg

First foam fill.jpg

Inner fillets.jpg

rockie

Reaction score
I dont have the bulldog but the bullpuppy. Only flown it once and a canard fin caught the nomex sheild and ripped a nice little hole in it. Guess the same thing could happen to the chute !

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Not so much worried about the chute--it will be in a deployed in a controlled manner away from the canard fins via a deployment bag and a Defy Gravity tether system at 800 feet or so.

I dont have the bulldog but the bullpuppy. Only flown it once and a canard fin caught the nomex sheild and ripped a nice little hole in it. Guess the same thing could happen to the chute !

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Not a single comment or opinion--surprising...

So I just went ahead an put two layers of 3 oz. satin draped over the canards to provide sort of a cantilever effect so they won't pop off during recovery.

Since I had some West System left over I also put a layer of glass inside the "coupler" style open fiberglass nosecone (the coupler only had 1.5" of overlap with the fiberglass body).

Cantfins.jpg

Insidenc.jpg

rocket9005

Reaction score
I built a Bull Puppy a few years ago, and I left the canards off. I filled the dado slots in the front of the tube with 30 minute epoxy & micro balloons, and sanded it smooth. This was an old kit so it had phenolic tubes. I have never worked with the "quantum" tubing, and I don't think that I want to... but that's another story.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Yes, thought about foregoing the canards, but that was a little to much deviation for me from what is already a "sport" scale rocket.

Not a QT man myself either.

I built a Bull Puppy a few years ago, and I left the canards off. I filled the dado slots in the front of the tube with 30 minute epoxy & micro balloons, and sanded it smooth. This was an old kit so it had phenolic tubes. I have never worked with the "quantum" tubing, and I don't think that I want to... but that's another story.