PML AMRAAM 4" CPR build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:)

I actually have 5 builds going on concurrently... (not counting this one, this was just a repair...)

3 x Wildman Darkstars - 2.6", 3", & 4" - all underway, got a build thread for it, but building faster than I can post, so will probably do a dump near the end of the week

A Sirius Interrogator G in the mid-power forum is in the final stages. Everything is primed and getting ready for paint and decals

In the wings, I have a LOC Saturn V (5 x 54mm Cluster) and a US Rockets Swarm (1 x75mm core with 12 x 29mm outboards cluster). Those builds have pseudo-started. I am glassing the body tubes and fins for both right now and will include that process in the build threads when I get them posted.

And my kids each have an ongoing LPR or MPR build going on right now, so it can get a bit crowded in the workshop!

Not sure how much longer working from home is going to last, but I am taking advantage of it ;)

The only thing slowing me down right now is traveling to launches on the weekends...
LOL. Stupid launches... ;) Wow is all I can say on the concurrent builds. I'm building 3 up-motored LPRs right now, but mainly I just wanted to paper all the fins at the same time (also first time papering fins).

LOL. Stupid launches... ;) Wow is all I can say on the concurrent builds. I'm building 3 up-motored LPRs right now, but mainly I just wanted to paper all the fins at the same time (also first time papering fins).

Papering is a great idea. I do it for all my balsa parts. I have tried about every paper/cardstock-balsa combo I could think of and, for cosmetic papering, I found this paper works the best for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PYG93TH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is very thin, lightweight paper, but is glossy on one side so it is much, much easier to paint when you are done. You end up with a perfect gloss finish with no trouble.

TVM has a pretty good video on skinning fins:

If you plan to skin a bunch of parts or think you may want to eventually glass fins with FG or CF using the vacuum bag method, I would also get a couple nice pieces of thick acrylic. I have a bunch of different sizes and thicknesses I use for a lot of solutions, but they are great for sandwiching your skinned parts while they are drying so they dry perfectly flat.

PXL_20201124_170341023.jpg

Back