Plugging AeroTech 29/40-120 Case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitchw8436

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm moving away from motor ejection to electronic controlled ejection on many of my mid-power models. Looking for experience on plugging the front closure of the AeroTech 29mm 40-120 case. I'm thinking of simply tapping the hole between the delay charge and ejection charge well and inserting a machine screw. Haven't figured out what to do about the screw head that would extend into the delay chamber.

Just don't drill the delay or put the powder in the powder well. You don't need to put a screw in or even put dog barf or anything else in the powder well. Don't overthink it.

That method has worked fine for me for 16 years now on all sized AT reloads.
+1, no need for mods, simply don't use BP or don't drill the delay shorter, put dog barf in the well and tape over it securely. If its a long delay use it as backup for the apogee event, or an additional back up if two altimeters are being used.

Thanks all for the replies and feedback on your experience. You've made this much simpler for me. BTW @Handeman, I don't think coming up with a potential solution and then asking y'all for your feedback is over thinking it. I'd call it it thinking and researching :).

Thanks all for the replies and feedback on your experience. You've made this much simpler for me. BTW @Handeman, I don't think coming up with a potential solution and then asking y'all for your feedback is over thinking it. I'd call it it thinking and researching :).
Fair enough. I was just trying to warn against going down one of the TRF rabbit holes. There are many, and flying a standard motor with DD and no ejection is one of them. It's very simple, all you need to do is NOT put the powder and cap on. That's all. No dog barf, tape, plastic caps, etc. are needed. Of course, feel free to go down that route if you want.

Good luck with the electronics in the MPRs, should be fun.

FYI, long ago flying Dual Deploy with a motor that had an ejection charge, I just left the delay in and put in BP for a "Motor Backup" apogee charge to help make sure no incoming would be happening from apogee.

Fair enough. I was just trying to warn against going down one of the TRF rabbit holes. There are many, and flying a standard motor with DD and no ejection is one of them. It's very simple, all you need to do is NOT put the powder and cap on. That's all. No dog barf, tape, plastic caps, etc. are needed. Of course, feel free to go down that route if you want.

Good luck with the electronics in the MPRs, should be fun.
Agree there a lot of opinions on TRF not supported by evidence. Appreciate the input.

Last edited:
FYI, long ago flying Dual Deploy with a motor that had an ejection charge, I just left the delay in and put in BP for a "Motor Backup" apogee charge to help make sure no incoming would be happening from apogee.
There are two reasons I'm interested in eliminating the motor ejection charge. First, the variance in delay times is really high. Several times I've had the motor ejection occur before apogee even though it should have been well afterwards. Second, I have a bunch of G64 reloads with a 4 second delay. I'd like to use those on models requiring a longer delay.

Another option, however using the delay pellets with no ejection charge is helpful as you get the tracking smoke trail. Use a longer than needed delay pellet if you can to have the smoke last longer increasing visibility especially good for higher altitude flights. If you want a bag of those clear bulkhead plugs (They go in place of the delay materiel), let me know in a PM with Name, Address. I will send you a set for free...

delay plugs.jpg

Back