Plug Material for Quad Pod/Spad Pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blankjorge

Vini, Vici, Iacio
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Southern Area Rocketry (SoAR) uses a combination of Quad Pods and Spad Pads at our launches. The blast plates for the Spad Pads are ceramic grinding wheels that have a 1/2" hole in them through which we run the launch rods. The Quad Pods have a 1" hole in the blast plate through which the rod/rail is attached to the pad. My question, "Does anyone have a recommendation for a 'plug' to keep exhaust gases from getting down the hole and onto the pad's/pod's inner workings?" Yes, I'm tired of cleaning the lock down screws.

We use 4" square electrical covers with a hole drilled in them for blast deflectors. You can use them underneath your grinding wheels to give you additional protection.

Southern Area Rocketry (SoAR) uses a combination of Quad Pods and Spad Pads at our launches. The blast plates for the Spad Pads are ceramic grinding wheels that have a 1/2" hole in them through which we run the launch rods. The Quad Pods have a 1" hole in the blast plate through which the rod/rail is attached to the pad. My question, "Does anyone have a recommendation for a 'plug' to keep exhaust gases from getting down the hole and onto the pad's/pod's inner workings?" Yes, I'm tired of cleaning the lock down screws.

We used grinding wheels for years before I found a source of sort of free stainless steel. They worked well but were heavy. Just get 1/4" fender washers and epoxy them to the wheels.

We take the ceramic tiles we use on our low power pads, drill 1/4" and 1/2" holes to correspond with the rod we are using and put them over the larger hole.

Maybe use some old nomex material to stick a wad into the hole?

Or a scrap of old ironing board material? (Isn't that stuff supposed to work about as well as nomex?)

An "expendable" square of stainless steel tape cut from a roll of the stuff, with a hole poked in the center just smaller than the launch rod, slid down into position above the blast deflector? (use it for the day and toss it)

Do a better job of drilling a tight-fit hole in the blast deflector?

Hi Blankjorge
I see you are up close to me and with SoAR i would love to come out to one of there launches but just havent made it out. Do you fly anywhere other than at the launches. I thought i was all alone up here in N.Ga :) anyway sorry for the hijack

Back