Please allow me to introduce myself

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket2Russia

Reaction score
Hello fellow rocketeers! My name is Mike and I live in Washington, DC and I am a BAR. I built and launched Estes rockets as a kid in the 1970's and now I am back at it. I was at a thrift store a year or two ago and saw an Estes starter kit NIB for $8. I had already been working on a model trolley layout and balsa and tissue planes. After some time of the kit sitting in a closet I found out and joined my local rocket club and have since attended a few launches. I have built and successfully flown an Estes V2 and Ventris so I am already into the mid power rockets. I am researching the possibility of buying and building the 4" Loc Precision V2 sometime in the future. MDRA on Maryland's Eastern Shore is 1.5 hours away and it's not a bad drive if you don't hit traffic and the event doesn't get rained out like it did last week.

In doing my research I have found tons of videos on youtube of people flying rockets but not much in the way other than Apogee Components' videos that offer us rookies with any guidance. I have pro video gear and would like to work with people in the Mid Atlantic to make some videos explaining the who, what, and when of rocketry.

There's a ton of stuff for me to learn about MPR and I am eager to get the lessons underway.

See ya on the field.

Hello Mike , welcome home !

I too am a BAR - Born Again Rocketeer , having flown in my younger days and returning a few years ago .

So far the only decent videos Ive seen have been from John Coker focused on High Power, and I too don't have the patience to sit through 5 apogee videos to see how one thing is done .

https://www.jcrocket.com/howto.shtml

However we do have a ton of build threads online here in the forum , chock full of photos and details . I'm sure you will be able to follow and try some new materials and adhesives -- on the second build you can film it and post the video link !

If you have a Ventris , and a V2 - you are ready for a composite motor . Try a single use E from Aerotech , if you like it - then try a reload case and enjoy some variety in your boost . Best price I've seen is just under $15 from Wildman Rocketry on a pair of E20-7 ..

Kenny

Last edited:
Rocket building is weird. At first, it seems very mysterious and cofusing. You don't know what anything is called, or how anything is done. You don't even know where to buy stuff!

But then, once you get it, it seems really easy and common sense. At least for me. There was a time when the only way I could build a rocket was by reading the instructions. Now, I don't even think about instructions, and would probably ignore them if I had them.

So hang in there. Work your way up. Every concept you learn from an Estes kit, or here on the forum, or from talking to someone, eventually makes total sense and seems like a no-brainer.

I haven't had any trouble putting together the V2, Ventris, a couple of Swifts, a Mini Fat Boy, and a few others. After spending time working on the model trolley layout(s) (Petworth Traction Co. on Facebook) and the stick and tissue planes I have gotten handy with small tools and paints. I would love to learn more about the reloadable motors as I am sure they are cheaper than the single use engines. Last Sunday at my club launch I used Estes D on the V2 and a F on the Ventris. I got these at my LHS.

Reloadable motors are a must if you plan on moving into HPR or bigger MPR. CTI motors are a cinch in 24, 29, 38 and 54 mm.

CTI.jpg

And get harder at 75 mm and up.

CTI75.jpg

Aerotech motors require full assembly at all sizes.

AT assembly.png

John, that's a great illustration on the Aerotech 29/40 120 which goes a ways to demystyfy things. My Ventris takes a 29mm motor. Is that the casing that I want to get? Looks like the AT motors would take about 15 minutes to assemble. Anytime I can save 15% or more in 15 minutes I am thinking that is a good deal. (No need to insert "LOL" here. If it's funny people will get it.)

Last edited:
I would say to get one. You can get a wide range of motors including one of my favs, the G64.

Welcome. I'm originally from Rockville, up the 270 spur.

As you grow, don't forget that MDRA is also in your area. Were you at last weekend's launch on Sunday when it got rained out? If so, we likely crossed paths.

Lots of good stuff on here, but nothing replaces a local mentor.

If you want to go with Aerotech, then that is a good starter casing. The available reloads are:

E16W 4, 7
E23T 5, 8
F22J 5, 7
F40W 4, 7, 10
F52T 5, 8, 11
G53FJ 5, 7, 10
G64W 4, 7, 10
G71R 4, 7, 10
G76G 4, 7, 10

If you can make it out to MDRA, AMW-ProX is there on site at every launch and sell CTI. CTI hardware is cheaper, but the reloads are more expensive (and don't require assembly), whereas with AT, the hardware is more expensive, but the reloads are cheaper. There are a few AT 40-120 reloads that have no HAZMAT shipping requirements; but all CTI reloads have HAZMAT. Of course, if you buy on site from vendors, then there is no shipping at all.

With a CTI Pro29 3-grain casing and two spacers, your reload options are:

56F31-12A
55F29-12A
51F36-14A
41F36-11A
57F59-12A
53F32-12A
56F120-14A *
108G57-12A
107G83-14A *
84G88-11A *
116G126-13A *
108G68-13A
93G80-14A
110G250-14A *
164H90-12A *
168H87-12A *
138G106-14A *
159G118-15A *
163H133-14A *
159G125-14A *
125G131-14A *
166H163-14A *
168H54-10A *
159G54-12A
168H410-14A *
143G33-9A

* denotes Level 1 cert required to buy and fly

+1 on MDRA. We are friendly to everyone...beginners, kids, oddroc fliers all fly beside the big boys.

I will also point out the G64s are the least expensive reloadable G's out there. Check out Hobbylinc. I'll spend more on CTI when I need over a G80. Which is often as I can find G's to fly in my smaller HPR rockets. Plus you can get those nice sparkies. (Note over 80ns avg and sparkies are HPR and can't fly at NARHAMS.)

Welcome to the threads. If MDRA is rained out, you also have NOVAAR local (but we have to launch in Great Plains). Another great launch site is in Culpepper - BattlePark.org. I'm sure you'll get plenty of use with your video gear at LDRS next spring at MDRA. I use cheap 808 cameras on my HPR rockets, but the videos come out nice. Definitely take a look at the info mentioned earlier regarding John Coker's site. It is AWESOME. This site also has tons of info. I've sat for hours devouring great details and moved right through my L1 and L2 with info and answers posted here. Again, welcome.

Kevin

I, too, would like to make some high quality videos. I've done video/film stuff before (in front of the camera), but I don't have any decent video equipment or anyone to man it.

Scratch that, I did just get a new camcorder the other night, though I haven't tested it out yet.

Still, I'd love to collaborate. Though I'm in Boston - not super close. But if we both happen to be able to make it to the same launch space on the same day, somewhere in the middle, maybe we could chat.

Another good club to visit is BARC, in southern New Jersey. It is a very small club, just starting up, but this is what makes it charming. Nice, big field, and very friendly people. They have someone on site who sells a limited cache of CTI motors, and also One Bad Hawk shows up at many launches to sell recovery supplies (best in the business) and Loki motors and hardware.

I, too, would like to make some high quality videos. I've done video/film stuff before (in front of the camera), but I don't have any decent video equipment or anyone to man it.

Scratch that, I did just get a new camcorder the other night, though I haven't tested it out yet.

Still, I'd love to collaborate. Though I'm in Boston - not super close. But if we both happen to be able to make it to the same launch space on the same day, somewhere in the middle, maybe we could chat.

Getting a camcorder is only half the battle. Too many people want to spend $2K on a camera and $0 on a mic. Being that you do the podcasts I am sure you have decent mics lying around. I use an AudioTechnica shotgun mic and I have one of their wired lavs. When I can I'll use both and leave nothing to chance and then run them both into a Zoom H4N digital audio recorder. The cameras will be out of fashion in 4 years whereas the mics will still being the job 20 years from now if you take care of them. I love the fact that Tim from Apogee Components takes the time to do his videos right with the camera on a tripod, a decent lav mic, and good lighting. I am not an expert on this stuff but I know enough to get my own IMDB.com page :) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1555033/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Welcome. I'm originally from Rockville, up the 270 spur.

As you grow, don't forget that MDRA is also in your area. Were you at last weekend's launch on Sunday when it got rained out? If so, we likely crossed paths.

Lots of good stuff on here, but nothing replaces a local mentor.

Tom,
After hitting traffic, rain, and a bathroom break it took me 2.5 hours to get to the MDRA launch by then the rocketeers were long gone. I will try again in September I am sure.

Last edited:
Getting a camcorder is only half the battle. Too many people want to spend $2K on a camera and $0 on a mic. Being that you do the podcasts I am sure you have decent mics lying around. I use an AudioTechnica shotgun mic and I have one of their wired lavs. When I can I'll use both and leave nothing to chance and then run them both into a Zoom H4N digital audio recorder. The cameras will be out of fashion in 4 years whereas the mics will still being the job 20 years from now if you take care of them. I love the fact that Tim from Apogee Components takes the time to do his videos right with the camera on a tripod, a decent lav mic, and good lighting. I am not an expert on this stuff but I know enough to get my own IMDB.com page :) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1555033/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Actually, we're getting me a new mic. CG and Gheem have decent ones, but I've never liked the way I sound on The Rocketry Show, because I can't hear myself through the cans. I only have a cheap headset. By next season, I should be able to hear my own voice, and I won't sound so nasal. My ear phones block the sound of my own voice, so it's hard to modulate.

Lawnmower Racing. Now that is a cool redneck sport right there!!!
They are an awesome group of people and I had a great time following them around for five years while I worked on my film On Your Mark, Get Set, MOW!

In response to the title of this thread:

"I'm a man of wealth and taste..."

BTW, welcome back to rocketry.

I think I got the taste part down....just missed out on the wealth part.

I enjoyed looking through the galleries but didn't see any sub forums to post photos of events. Perhaps I'll shoot an email to the board admins.

Welcome to the threads. If MDRA is rained out, you also have NOVAAR local (but we have to launch in Great Plains). Another great launch site is in Culpepper - BattlePark.org. I'm sure you'll get plenty of use with your video gear at LDRS next spring at MDRA. I use cheap 808 cameras on my HPR rockets, but the videos come out nice. Definitely take a look at the info mentioned earlier regarding John Coker's site. It is AWESOME. This site also has tons of info. I've sat for hours devouring great details and moved right through my L1 and L2 with info and answers posted here. Again, welcome.

Kevin

The NOVAAR web site doesn't seem to have launch dates on it or maybe I missed it.

Dang... I thought you might be in a similar situation as I am. I'm currently in China.

Welcome to TRF!

Back