Playing with computational fluid dynamics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lassahn

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been working on a computer program that estimates rocket stability by doing some basic CFD calculations.
It kinda works, in a prototypish way.

Is anyone else working on stuff like this, or interested in the details?

Here's screenshot showing pressure forces and stream lines for a test model.
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 12.48.46 PM.png

Hey Jeff, I've been interested in a while in the possibility of a new flight sim using CFD for the stability derivatives. It would be tons of work but would remove all the geometry constraints and approximations found in all the Barrowman model flight sims of today (OpenRocket, RockSim, RasAero, etc.). Glad to see someone working on CFD development for sport rockets!

I've been working on a computer program that estimates rocket stability by doing some basic CFD calculations.
It kinda works, in a prototypish way.

Is anyone else working on stuff like this, or interested in the details?

Here's screenshot showing pressure forces and stream lines for a test model.
View attachment 423396

Very cool project. What's your method of determining the resultant CP location for a rocket body? (At various airspeed and/or angle of attack)

I'm trying to decide what to do with this, I'll probably post code somewhere eventually.

Some technical details: this is using the "panel method", which means it's solving linearized equations that have some limitations.
It's subsonic only, no compression effects, no shock waves, etc.
It needs some hints to know what to do with trailing vortexes on lifting surfaces, so it's not good at modeling details of wingtip shape effects.
It's inviscid, so it has no natural notion of how to handle drag effects, and needs some hacks added in to have realistic flow around the back end.
Since wing stall is a combination of viscous and vortex effects, it's bad at modeling forces on a stalled wing (including fins at high angles of attack)

It does give plausible lift force data, which includes reaction forces from fins at moderate angles of attack.

Using the pressure distribution from the lifting forces it's possible to compute torques around the center of gravity, which should give basically the same information as CP calculations. I'm thinking about how to represent this well, which is a bit tricky because "Center of Pressure" isn't really a mathematically well-defined concept -- it's an engineering approximation that works well enough for some kinds of symmetric geometries.

That's pretty much how I set the calcs in Solidworks flowsim to get CP. I divide the torques present on the principal axis by the resultant forces along the principal axis. Pretty sure it's giving me the right pressures, but the shear distribution is iffy depending on how accurate my surface roughness settings are for that model.

Good luck!

Back