Plastic space modelers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Eugene for showing that '69 magazine. I once was building plastic space models too. Here is some views of Revell's Saturn V.

The FAI scale modelers, probably the best in the world, mostly from the former USSR and other ex east block nations have been flying scale Saturn 5's etc with multiple stages and clusters with various degrees of success for perhaps 20+ years now....

This is not to say that the USA doesn't have some fine FAI scale modelers too...

see https://www.spacemodeling.org

This was the progression of hardware to the mighty Saturn V. I think I read somewhere that these make good plastic conversion model flyers. Anyone attempted this?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey, I have that kit! I bought the History Makers edition back in '84. I keep promising myself I'll finish painting it one day.:rolleyes:

I found these in some hobby shops this summer. I would like to find all the Glencoe series and more of the Willy Ley space model series. Anyone have these?:rolleyes:

I also build plastic and resin space models. I have most of those Glencoe and Revell reissues. The space wheel needs a lot of work because the original molds had rusted, but it's a great kit. Here's a shot of a manned launch vehicle display I did in 1/144. The Mercs and Gemini are RealSpace models, the Voskok, Voskhod, and Soyuz are Apex with conversion pieces, the Sat 1B is Airfix and the 5 is Monogram. If you look closely, you can see a tiny figure in front of the Voskhod for scale.
Drew Tomko

Wow, that 1/144 display looks nice! Like the inclusion of the Russian models too. What kind of people figures did you use? Since my MAN IN SPACE display is 1/200 scale, n-scale model railroad figures are just about right 1/220 scale! Did you see them in mine? They are REALLY small!!;) ;)

Bill,
Yes, I can just see the figures in yours. Mine came with the Monogram Sat V. I think there were one or two in it.
DT

wow Bill...I think my temptation would be far too great to leave those as static displays. Whip out a drill and go to town! On the other hand, I bet they are pristine and finely detailed. You have to admit to at least one thing - tell me you've done the make-believe launch where you make the rumbling noise and slowly lift if off the table when no one is home! :D :D

I am overly impressed with that collection. Those are really nice models.

wow that is one nice looking saturn V imagine stuffing engines in all those little places....awesome!

Back