Plastic-Model Conversion Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladiator1332

Reaction score
I found some great Russian spacecraft models on a website, and I am interested in converting these so I can fly them. I haven't bought any of them yet, but here are some of the ones I am interested in:

Vulcan
https://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?STA-018

Proton
https://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?STA-013

Energia-Buran
https://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?STA-006

Soyuz-TM
https://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?MAQ-44002

And there are two Energia kits that I can't decide between, so I figured you guys could help out a little...which one of these do you think would be a better kit:

Energia-Uran complex model kit (does this mean that it is "complex" or is it the Energia launch complex?)
https://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?STA-016

Energia-M
https://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?STA-007

Right now I am leaning towards getting the Proton, Energia Buran, Energia M and the Soyuz TM.

The only problem is that I don't know where this company is based, most likely not the US, since it says all shipping is $15.
Does anyone know of any sites that would have similar models to these and is absed in the US so I don't have to pay more on shipping than some of the models cost?

I think there is a place in Florida that manages US orders. They have to ship them from St. Petersburg, Russia. Recently there was another thread about this... you might find more about this there...

I've been tempted by their selection also
they are imported from russia and many of these are not found anywhere else...,If you do find them,elsewhere they are usually much higher because of the limited sources...I have read on the modeling forum that this is a reputable vendor,let us know if you order any and how the service is please.

This site has some awsome Delta IV's on it! Not sure on the price, haven't checked yet

https://www.realspacemodels.com/

I am not going to buy these, only because I already set a goal for myself to scratch-build the Delta IV family. But I think I found what I am going to base the paint-jobs on these off of.

Those are deffinatley not models you want to stick an engine in though. They have an N-1, but it is $125!

I have always wanted to watch a plastic conversion from start to finish! Keep the thread going!

Those are some cool PMC pics man...sure hope you can get them built and flying; that would be just way too cool.

Carl

I also found these models on Squadron.com...I also sent an email to them asking about the availabilty and where it would ship from. Has anyone ordered from squadron before? Are they reliable? The same question goes for the site I pasted previously, Internet Hobbies.

Thanks

Gladiator:
been buying from Squadron.com for a long time.. matter of fact I have all 6 of the models your looking at.. Squadron is a fine company, good service, pretty fast deliveries and you get what you ordered:)
Valcan, Proton, and Soyuz are sure conversions, haven't had a chance to look at the others.

Through Rus-Sel, I bought all 4 kits for 24 bucks + 12 for S&H. They were sent directly from Moscow Russia, and arrived via Air-mail in 8 days. Perfect condition, and excellent service and communication.

I have:

Energia-Buran
Energia-GTC
Energia-M
Energia-Polus

Even if you don't convert them thay are a wonderful addition to any modeler's fleet.

https://www.rus-sell.com/item629.html

Cheers,

Gladiator:
been buying from Squadron.com for a long time.. matter of fact I have all 6 of the models your looking at.. Squadron is a fine company, good service, pretty fast deliveries and you get what you ordered
Valcan, Proton, and Soyuz are sure conversions, haven't had a chance to look at the others.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am most likely going to order them from Squadron. Thanks for the information on them. And they are based in the US, not that I have anything against the companies based in Russia, I just have never done any international orders before, and Russia is pretty far away.;)

PMC is one of my more favorite things to do with rockets. I also love building scale rockets, so now that I get to do a PMC of a scale rocket I am a very happy camper. PMC is great because you get to be a lot more creative. I have only done one other PMC and that was of a space shuttle model I picked up at the local hobby store one day. I got to pull out the hack-saw for once and hack off the top of the ET and add a card stock nose-cone shoulder to it and then add the shock chord and parachute (the parachute is almost the size of the model, but a streamer just won't get the job done) and then I got to also take out the power tools when I had to drill a hole in the bottom of the ET for the engine. I took an A-10-3T and traced around it on the bottom and drilled a small hole in the center and then made the hole bigger and bigger unil it was the size of the traced circle. Tons of fun! :D

The only PMC I have ever done, and yes I have only done one, was a 1/160 PMC on the X-15 for a MicroMax conversion...it did actually fly, but needs lotsa noseweight.

Carl

PMC is great fun!
If you do a search of this forum "low power" I think the title was something like "Others who like Plastic Model Conversion" we had a thread on PMC's you might find interesting back in Oct of last year. Lot's of info on conversion. and plenty of pics.
That Micro 130th Heller X-15 Carl mentioned is a scream! Does indeed take a bunch of nose weight, worth a look if you want a small challange:)

That's a great post, tons of information.

Launching the shuttle is going to be fun, I might have to hit-the-deck when that one goes off though, who knows what will happen:D I am only going to launch it on an A-10-3T, because anything else would tear the boosters and the shuttle off of the ET.
I have seen the engines for those Estes rocketcars at Wal Mart, has anyone used them for rockets before?

The next kit I am going to buy from Squadron is deffinatley going to be the Ariane V. I might have to check out the Ariane IV.
The Lunar Module looks like it would be a fun one to convert too. Think I can convert that one into a two stager? That might be a little too hard though.

Gladiator:
Try to get a weight to thrust ratio of 15 to 1. That rule of thumb has served the PMC's for many years. You haven't mentioned the scale of your shuttle stack, My 1/200th will fly on an 13mm A10 but it's pushing the weight to thrust margin. I expect a low very slow flight:(
One of the folks for NARHAMS flew an Ariane IV at ECRM two years ago on an 18mm C6 and 2 A10's in the strap-on... very nice flight.
I don't have a composite photo of all my PMC's well not the standard motor ones anyway, here's a fleet photo of my 11 Micro-Maxx powered PMC's.

Remember to check the stability of your model BEFORE you fly it.. especially with anyone else around...kindly keep in mind the other name for Plastic Model Conversion adopted by many in the NAR because on unstable models is " Plastic Death":) Fly for fun but please keep em safe.

I started on the Proton-Astra yesterday, and I as I type this the boosters are drying.

Wow this is a small rocket!:D Just a mm or 2, too small to fit and A-10-3. It looks like the Proton-Astra will be my first Micro-Maxx rocket.

The hole the engine has to fit into is 9mm wide. Does anyone know an engine that can fit this? I want to try out Micro-Maxx some time, but I am not sure if the Micro-Maxx motors will get the Proton-Astra off the ground.

At ehobbies I found Estes 1/4A3-3T's...those look like the smallest mini engines. They also have the Micro-MAxx there too.

Gladiator:
the estes 1/4A motors are 13mm if you can get the 1/4A in, it's the same dia. as the A10.
Can you expand that 9mm opening to accept 13mm? We Often have to "alter" the motor openings of PMC's to get them to fly.

I'll try to expand it more today, but it is going to be close. Were only talking expanding the hole I already made four more milimeters.

What is the diameter of a micromaxx motor? Most likely the hole will be a little too big for a micromaxx, but with some cardstock I can make the Micromaxx fit I think.

Hopefully I won't have these problems with the Energia-GTK, it looks like I can fit a 13mm in okay once I drill a hole.

Originally posted by gladiator1332
I'll try to expand it more today, but it is going to be close. Were only talking expanding the hole I already made four more milimeters.

What is the diameter of a micromaxx motor? Most likely the hole will be a little too big for a micromaxx, but with some cardstock I can make the Micromaxx fit I think.

Hopefully I won't have these problems with the Energia-GTK, it looks like I can fit a 13mm in okay once I drill a hole.

Gladiator:
Micro-Maxx motors are 6mm. the motor tubes are .281" OD about 7.1mm. Smaller than your current 9mm opening however, the MM-II #5663 motors are only a .31 n/sec Very low end 1/4A motor. Best I've very lifted more the 9 inches was 17g. My 20.3 g Skydart barely cleared the launch rod. My reason for asking about increasing your opening to .544" OD is to use the A10 13mm motor. Do you know what all the parts will weigh yet?

Heres a good PMC practice that may help you. Gether all the part and pieces of the plastic model your thinking of converting, all the necessary flight components. body tubes, noescone or block, motor mount, centering rings, shock cord, recovery device, wadding and any other part that may be needed. Weigh the lot, add a few grams for paint & glue. This process should provide a "working EWt;" that will let you pick a motor that will lift the beast.

Thanks, I'll try that out on my next projects.

I also solved the motor problem...I got the A-10-3T to fit in the hole, but it would not slide all the way in, so I made a cardstock tube and put it into the hole only one or two mm. The engien goes into this tube and into the hole in the bottom of the rocket and now fits.

Back