Plastic Model Conversion (PMC) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As one of the finer diversions from standard Model rocketry. PMC competition events and PMC just for fun Flying has been an ongoing collecting obsession of mine for about 4 decades.

My hope is this gallery will attract many Different types of PMC builders & build photos. Not only those strictly conforming to the pink book rules.

For instance I'm still looking desperately for just about any scale Ford or Dodge Van model so I can convert it into a flying DHL van sort of "as seen on TV" a couple years ago.....Backdoors flappin as the motor burns as it bobbs and weeves slightly on the way up to ejection:)

We'll be Happy and Tickled pink to see each and EVERY contest and sport flying PMC that you great folks have or will come up with.
One of the questions that came up recently; Does the model being converted "Have to be available on the shelves" to be considers legal for contest PMC conversion.
The Answer is NO. As long as the model or whatever was "Commerically produced" as a Static Plastic model it doesn't matter when, where or how long ago it was manufactured as LONG as it can be documented or proven to have been produced as some sort of kit. There are some specifics for Contest flying but we won't worry to much about those limitations here for Sport flying as in the DHL Van, or flying submarine, Army Tanks and on and on.

Back in the day I believe my very first PMC was an F100 Super Saber. to this day the F100 is a staple "windy day" qualifier type PMC. My second and unfortunately the first PMC I got a chance to take pictures of was a 1/48th Revell LEM using a plan published in the OLD MODEL ROCKETEER mag. I believe sometime in 1970. That very unsuccessful PMC attempt was built along side another, a bit more "standardized" conversion of an Old USSR Vostok launch vehicle that I flew for a number of years.... I NEVER however completely gave up on getting a LEM to fly:)
A year or so later another plan in Model Rocketeer mag..had me out scrounging the hobby shops for 2001 Pan Am Space Clipper Orion. I had to make it work and it sure did!
That got me into Revell 1/48th X-15's flying on the then pretty NEW D13-3, 5 & 7 motors.
These 5 models and fewer pictures should I hope, get the ball rolling.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the nifty and odd Plastic Model Conversions flying out there:)

X15-sm_48th PMC_03-05-72.jpg

Pan Am Space Clipper Orion-1-sm_1st Flt 144PMC b&w_01-06-72.jpg

Pan Am Space clipper-sm_ Orion PMC 1st Flt_01-08-72.jpg

Attachments

• Vostok-a-sm_USSR PMC complete 04-03-71.jpg
    Vostok-a-sm_USSR PMC complete 04-03-71.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
John,

I just found a paper 2001 Pan Am Space Clipper Orion paper model.
I was wondering if it would fly without a vertical fin like an airplane has?(fin/rudder)
Apparently it does.
Cool. Now I will try that for a build.

BTW, I have a scale Dodge Van piggy bank I might consider having you launch if you have the motors for it!
It is made from white metal, so it is heavy!

Last edited:
John,

I just found a paper 2001 Pan Am Space Clipper Orion paper model.
I was wondering if it would fly without a vertical fin like an airplane has?(fin/rudder)
Apparently it does.
Cool. Now I will try that for a build.

BTW, I have a scale Dodge Van piggy bank I might consider having you launch if you have the motors for it!
It is made from white metal, so it is heavy!

Actually if you look closely at the photos you'll see the Orion does have vertical,horizontal & dorsal fins. they are all clear .063" Polycarbonate (Lexan).
If you look up the January 1971 Model Rocketeer Mag there is an article about converting the old Revell 1/144th Orion plastic kit including full size fin patterns. later in 1983 USAirFix released a 1/144th Orion then In 2003 Airfix re-released another Orion 2001 spacedcraft 1/144th kit either of which can be used with the same MR patterns. These clear fins are Epoxy rivet attached with minimal clear 30minute epoxy fillets. Trust me when a confirm this attachment method keeps these fins in place well. Over time the epoxy has yellowed a bit but is still holding as well as the day it was applied.
In both cases the model uses an offset 18mm motor that requires a bit of careful alignment and tube cutting but other then that is a pretty straight forward conversion. If your Cardstock model is about the same scale I'd bet it should convert will as also. Just be sure to get the centerline of thurst aligned well other wise the bird does not so lazy circles in the sky:)

Below are pic's of those Airfix box art and my current fleet Orion Pan Am Space clipper conversion that used the same fin and conversion patterns from the Old Model Rocketeer mag article.

PS: NO flying Metal thanks...gotta be Plastic...I may have to find a small metal Ford or Dodge Van to make a casting mold from...might be an option;)

Orion-a-sm_2001SpaceClipper USAirFix 70060 144th(96dpi)_83.jpg

Orion-b_2001 SpaceClipper AirFix 06171 144th (128dpi)_03.jpg

189a_PanAm SpaceClipper Orion PMC_07-07-96.jpg

Last edited:
OK!
I'll make another stab at it....

Another of those Windy, Nasty weather day "Qualifier" contest or just for fun PMC's is the 1/48th F-104 Starfighter. Brand of model isn't really that important as long as it's pretty resonably priced.
To set up a Bad conditions (B-model) I like to keep it as simple as possible. Wheels UP, limited or no weapons. with the starfighter just adding the Wing tip tanks and doing a bit of visible cockpit detailing, perhaps changing some of the panel lines and perhaps adding or opening some of the control surfaces make this kind of model convenient when the weather just won't seem to cooperate.
It's always a challange to make the decision before model turn-in time which model to go with...All up super detailed, wheels down, fully loaded A-model or conservative bad weather B-model. but it is always nice to have the choice;)

Over time this simple F-104 1/48th Drone Squadron model served my very well as a B-model for competition or just a great fun flying PMC. I believe it has about 30 or more fights before I crashed it due to a bad motor. Since then it's been replaced by a smaller scale 1/144th Wheels down MicroMaxx powered version that was a good bit harder to build but works just as well as a B-model contest back up.

286a5_MM F104g After decal 4pic Pg_07-20-04.jpg

MM 286lp01d-sm_MM 144 F-104 PMC 1stflt 3pic _11-08-03.jpg

Last edited:
Not All PMC's have to be build or flown just at contests. Many can and should be flown for the sheer fun of it also:)

At a meeting some years back while discussing weight to thurst ratios with another flyer he made a statement that I just couldn't leave alone.
"Well ya can't make a Tank fly...." or something to that effect was the comment.
Now I do not have access to the full size thing but I sure could adapt a model or two. Just to get my feet wet the first attempt was with a 1/72 M48-A5 Vampire Battle Tank. After some rough calculations and a couple drawings I came up with these configuration... but as most Tanks Travel with the turret and gun trailing I designed and balanced this model to do the same. Displays with turret and gun forward as shown, flying with turret and gun stowed as in the fight pics. 8" mylar chute stows in the tank body about where the driver would set. 1/48 models give a lot more room and motor options:)
See no reason PMC can't be all kinds of FUN flying.

090-sm_M48-A5 Vampire Tank Odd-RocPMC_03-02-91.jpg

090c1-sm_M48-A5 Tank PMC_on pad_03-09-91.jpg

090c3-sm_M48-A5 Tank_Liftoff_03-09-91.jpg

090c4-sm_M48-A5 Tank_MidFlight_03-09-91.jpg

090c5-sm_M48-A5 Tank_Apogee_03-09-91.jpg

My meager PMC fleet: a 29mm Starfighter, two shots of my Pogo, and one of my micromaxx X-15. The Pogo flies on one 18mm and two non-scale 13mm outboards. I added the latter when the weight exceeded the capability of a C6. This was before I bit the bullet and got an 18mm RMS case.

21st_f104_07.jpg

pmc_convair_pogo02.jpg

pmc_convair_pogo03.jpg

x15b.jpg

my Second attempt at an X-15 PMC for my current fleet was on OOP 1/72nd kit #5908 of the A2 varient with external extended fuel tanks and drop wheel dolly.
Because of Tight space 13mm motor tube was the best I could do without butchering the rear of the model completely. This limited motor selection to A10's as it is kind of heavy with an Ewt of 63.8grams.
flys OK but recovery for some reason has always been iffy. either stripping the light 10" mylar chute or coming in with the dreaded Plastic Wad chute not fully deploying.

109-sm_X-15 A2 Rocketplane 72nd PMC_08-12-91.jpg

X15-A2-c_Monogram 5908 72nd (128dpi)_96.jpg

Very Nice stuff Dick!
I'm a big fan of the POGO & X15's regardless of scale! They are all super fun building and flying PMCs.

Thanks Micro! You were the prime motivator form my X-15 and Pogo conversions, have posted your versions.

Thanks Micro! You were the prime motivator form my X-15 and Pogo conversions, have posted your versions.

Not yet, Mine is a bit further down the building list....I'll get to them a bit later.

Next on my List is an actual Rocket PMC. the Revell 1/54th V2 (A4) with launcher & mobile carrier.
This is a very easy conversion I chose to use a BT-20 inner body with a rear ejection 13mm (A10-3T) motor pod and 12" chute.
This scheme eliminates the unsightly seperation seam usually necessary with nose ejection method making for a bit different look for the judges. Still fly very well 70-80feet on an A10 motor recovering well without damage. This kind of model still doesn't really get high static point judging because of the conversion simplicity. Pretty nice model for sport flying though.

V2-1a_Revell HistoryMakers 0560 54th(128dpi)_95.jpg

Here is my F-16 PMC. I have not flown it yet. I did this about a year ago.
B and C motors fly it.

F-16 PMC 002.JPG

F-16 PMC 003.JPG

Last edited:
Here is my F-16 PMC. I have noy flown it yet. I did this about a year ago.
B and C motors fly it.

Very nice; Can you give us a little run down on the inner workings of this model? Did you have any trouble getting a body tube in or was there any offsetting done? Where did you break the model for recovery? What size chute?

Very nice; Can you give us a little run down on the inner workings of this model? Did you have any trouble getting a body tube in or was there any offsetting done? Where did you break the model for recovery? What size chute?

I did only a little bit of surgery on the inside. A BT-20 goes up from the tailcone to the nose cone, PNC-20. Also a BT-50 keeps it centered.
If you look at the head on pic, you can see both BT's. I made the tailcone removable, I don't know why. Also, the cockpit canopy opens. Both will be tape into place for launch. I think I have a few build pic's on my old computer.
I'm not sure how much nose weight it will need but I'll try two batts of Estes clay for starters when I fly her.
I have three other kits I plan to convert and I will do a detailed build at that time.
The chute will be about 8" to 12" depending on the wind.

F-16 PMC 001.JPG

F-16 PMC 004.JPG

F-16 PMC 005.JPG

Last edited:
My meager PMC fleet: a 29mm Starfighter, two shots of my Pogo, and one of my micromaxx X-15. The Pogo flies on one 18mm and two non-scale 13mm outboards. I added the latter when the weight exceeded the capability of a C6. This was before I bit the bullet and got an 18mm RMS case.

May I copy the X15 and Pogo?

Long ago Ken Brown (owner of QCR and long time PMC Guru) taught me there are two General bad weather models you should have in your PMC stable for back-ups the first we've already discussed in the 1/48th Wheels-Up F-104 StarFighter. The next is a 1/48th Wheels Down slightly more detailed F-100 Super Saber. This is another less then Ideal weather conditions flying day entry intended to compete with a slightly more competitive field of flyers.
Because The F-100 converts fairly easily and flys well in moderately windy conditions it's the Back-up "Go To" model when there are a lot of good looking models being entered:) The trick is to find and buy a couple "inexpensive" 1/48th kits to have made as back ups.

This particular model is a Lindberg 1/48th #72521 Firepower kit that comes with a wide assortment of external weapons and stores that make for a fun build and Great looking finished model. Fly's well on C6-3 motors, and with just a little angle given to an elevator can be set up to do a nice barrel roll or two on the way up. If presented in advance of the flight to the judges this can get a couple extra flight points. It also helps offset most of the external add-on load giving a little better "straighter" flight path. Most F100's if build with good alignment will tend to weathercock and sort of fly belly to the ground so it's often better to induce a little roll.

Model 162 had a great flight life until I decided to static display her at an Outdoors Airshow "IN" it's clear plastic Protective box. DOH! Sun heat caused considerable melting damage before I noticed the problem. While most of the Seam spliting damage was corrected I'm almost afraid to fly it again because I'm not sure how much mis-alignment and wing warpage was introduced:(
Lesson learned: Outdoor displays must have models in the open air or if boxed under shade...sometimes ya gotta learn the hard way:(

F100d-b1_SuperSabre Lindberg 72521Firepower48th(128dpi)_98.jpg

PMC's Display-sm @ CollegePark Airfair 09-14-96.jpg

Last edited:
This PMC is truely a labor of love. From the first time I saw pictures of this ungainly contrapsion I new I wanted to have some sort of a flying model of it.
Wasn't sure it would work as a PMC but with a little hot water work on the aft end to reshape to take a BT-20 motor tube it was accomplished.
Some work also when into getting the counter rotating props to spin freely enough to actually work on the way up:) Loading the NC with shot allowed all the required nose weight to be crammed as far foward as possible which also allowed the nose and props to be attached to a seperate chute so the body could be teathered to come down horizontally reducing the risk of landing gear damage. Flys well on a C5-3 neck jerks on an Old D21-4 LOL

I have a couple of the 1/72 XFY-1 POGO's waiting for my 13mm conversion attempt...just haven't gotten to it yet.

165-sm_XFY-1 Pogo 48th PMC_12-09-94.jpg

165c3_Pogo XFY-1_2pic Flight_05-17-98.jpg

165d4_XFY-1 Pogo-c1 48th PMC_ ECRM-29_05-19-02 pg.jpg

XFY-1-c1_Pogo VTO Kopro 3136 72nd_04.jpg

XFY-1-b1_Pogo VTO Lindberg 536-39 48th(128dpi)_00.jpg

Last edited:
When I first saw this Revell kit in the Micheals I thought is was a mistake. a 1/32nd scale kit for under 20 bucks??? I snatched two up. I

I'd been thinking about trying to convert a larger scale model for a 24mm D12-3 motor. This was the perfect opportunity. at first I was hoping to get a BT-60 tube inside for some nice big Rip-stop Nylon chutes. As it turned out only at BT-55 could be stuffed the length of the model. It'll be enought...I'll make it work. The rest of the conversion was a breeze cutting the fuselage just ahead of the intake points on a recessed seam line allowed the entire forward wheel recess to be used as is. This model would fly wheels down with as many missiles and such as I could find. Did a very small amount of cockpit detailing.

Decided to go with a flat camo paint scheme as the model was molded in RED STYRENE. HO man what a headache! This stuff just wouldn't cover. finally had to strip down a few early attempts and use a sign painters Block out primer thinned just enough to get it through the airbrush. than two coats of grey primer and hand re-scored all the panel lines which had been completely filled by the blockout primer.
With the model set up as it was it really needs a 20 and 24" chute. With light weight rip-stop nylon the best I could get in the thing was 2 18" hemi's.....this was going to be close. Well it worked but was a nerve rattling flight. I was lucky it was a fairly light breeze that day. I had to get bigger chutes in.. the Only option was real Silk. I located some very fine real silk at JO-Ann Fabrics cut out gores and had the better 2/3rd sew them together with very light kevlar thread. with a little difficulty both house well in the model which I can now fly on the windiest of days without fear of too much landing damage.

F104G-a1_Starfighter Revell 4731 32nd(128dpi)_95.jpg

170_F104-G-StarFighter-PMC_32nd.jpg

This little Testors very inexpensive 1/72nd kit (if you can still find them). Worked out to be a very nifty little 14mm/13mm rear eject motor pod model that drags the little 10" chute out as the pod is ejected.
Pretty stright forward conversion with the added bonus of not having to cut the body apart to create a nosecone. Some care needs to be taken in making the music wire ejection yoke and getting the tubes to slide easily but once operation I've had no trouble at all flying this model on A10-3T getting good altitude and really neat looking tangling recoveries.

XF-92a-c1_Dart Testor 941 72nd_95.jpg

172_XF-92A-Dart_72nd.jpg

Glenco's VonBraun 3-Stage Ferry Rocket looked like a natural for PMC conversion.
Well it does have a few issues to be worked out but can make for a very nice 13mm motor flying model.
The model is tail heavy as all gee-wiz. This means scrapping alot of unnecessary wall material from the molded parts AND a good bit of nose weight. I seem to recall someone submitted an article to the old Model Rocketeer covering converting this model but alas I didn't have that issue. Glenco used an older version of the Ferry rocket then I remembered with the Crew Plane having full Delta wings. I chose to alter this to the more normal wing look.
Because of the very limited space I went with a 13mm motor mount hoping to save enough room for a decent size chute. Even with the Shorter motor mount in the BT-20 body tube it's a real squeeze to get a 12" chute in.
I used a super altered balsa transition, sculpting down to almost nothing in the forward end, Hollowed out to give me additional space for nose weight which was needed. the little plane fuselage is filled with more nose weight.
With the steep taper of the body most would use standoffs to get the launch lugs out far enough to be useful. I chose to install in internal LL with a very long tapered forward opening sculpted to the contour of the body. A super bigger pain to do but I think it makes a huge difference in the on the pad look of the model. Fly's fairly well on A10-3T motors even being the little 51.3 gram ewt. Piggy that its.
a very worth while PMC if you run across the model in the hobby shop.

178b4-sm_288th Ferry Rocket LL detail 3pic 7x5_09-16-05.jpg

Sometime around 95-96 Revell re-released another Classic missile model from my youth. H-1804-149 Nike Hercules with launcher is a Great static display model but is even more fun if you spend some time making it a Flying PMC.

At 1:40 this little scale model is pretty tight space wise my original intent was to built the model around the Apogee 10.5mm B2 motors...alas before I got the model modified these Great motors went OOP:(
My only option was to increase the core body tube size to BT-5 for use with A10-3T motors. While this made for an OK model it really severely limited it's flight performance to about 50feet weighing in a 66.8grams empty.
Conversion means really stripping out as much interior styrene plastic as practical and opening up the core between the four nike booster motors to allow the BT-5 to become the structure supporting the now shell of partical tube nike boosters. While I tought about staging better judgement prevailed and I just added a upper stage noseblock. Making the Launch rail usable was also a bit of a chore but worked out fairly nicely. a small piece of black Nomex cloth is all that's required to use the launcher with a standard Launch 1/8" x 36" launch rod for flying.
It's a fairly difficult conversion but can be worth the time if your looking for a really classic "Rocket" type PMC:)

Nike Hercules-c1_& Launcher Revell H-1804-149 40th_96.jpg

Another Revell re-issue is the H-1832-79 1:110th scale Redstone missile. a very nice 13mm motor PMC very straight forward conversion with few if any real problem areas. Does require a decent amount of nose weight to use the Scale fins but is certainly doable. A little less Nwt if Clear Polycarbonate fins are added to the scale fin.
Either way it's a fun little flying model on A3-4T or A10-3T's recoverying on a 10" mylar chute. Ewt 25.3g with chute & ejection plug.

Redstone-c1_missile Revell H-183279 110th_00.jpg

180-sm_Army-Redstone PMC_110th.jpg

Now this one was a Blast to build and Convert for PMC compeititon. The little 1:110th scale Mercury Atlas presented a couple challanges (clear Lexan fin attachment & blast proofing the launcher complex) but with just a little care it was a very rewarding and FUN build.
Building the little Merc-Atlas was a simple stright forward 13mm conversion seperating at the capsule recovering on a 10" standard Estes Plastic type chute. Wire "antenna ring" LL's help hide most of the "model rocket looking parts and .030" clear Lexan fins attached with Weld-on 16 and very fine epoxy fillets help keep the outline fairly clean. Adding a single 1/8" hole just inside the Launch complex holddown grid make it possible to launch the model from the base with a seperate incerted folded 22ga stainless steel deflector the blows the exhaust out the side just as the real missile did. Sorry I've only flown this model once and the photos came out so fuzzy they really were not worth keeping. Model at 49.2grams flys well on A10-3T's to a couple hundred feet. If you want a very nice looking set up this kit is a very nice place to start.
the Atlas portion of the rocket is finished with Master Modeler non-buffing Stainless Steel spary overcoated with Testors Gloss clear. I don't generally use Testors gloss clear but the Stainless came out so good I wanted to try to keep my fingers from degrading it as I fly it. The Model later recieved a clear acrylic plastic dust cover and the Army Redstone missile in the same scale was added to the complex.

MercuryAtlas_& Complex Monogram H-1833-250 110th(128dpi)_00.jpg

181b_Mercury-Atlas PMC w Launcher & 180 Redston_11-95.jpg

Come on guy's....and gals also! I know there have got to be other Rocket builders out there converting Plastic models for flight. Lets see some pics and read some stories.

While we're waiting this 1:144th Revell Apollo Saturn-V Cluster conversion was quickly done....and not very well done at that for a club Apollo Moon landing anniversary fun contest. Saturn-V's of all sizes and shapes were entered and all flown the same day.
I decided last minute to alter my original intended 5C6 cluster to just 3 D12's for easy of set-up and use just a single pack of D12-3 motors. Flys very well, nice and stable with the added noseweight and clear lexan fins.
Really doesn't take as long to built or convert as building a 1:100 Estes Saturn-V. If memory severs Airfix currently offers a similar 1:144th Saturn-V if anyone is looking for a model to start your PMC adventures.

The Little 1:65th F100 has to be one of my favorite flying PMC's....

Why? Well for several reasons.

First: it flys on a 13mm A10-3T motor in a rear ejection chute drag out pod so I didn't have to cut off the nose of the Jet to make a nosecone seperation point.

Because it's a bit larger then 1:72 it had some decent options detailing the cockpit, landing gear and weapons. Finding optional weapons proved a bit of a challange but I came up with enough that If this were a real aircraft it'd never get off the ground with the missile and bomb load I give it LOL!!!

Next was the opportunity to do a fairly neat camouflage 6 color spary and hand brush painted pattern.

last it just flys pertty well for such a heavy little model. With it's custom made very light drycleaner over the top shroud 10" chute the model has an Ewt. of 72.0grams. Flys well on those windy days I'd had to fly some of my other PMCs.

F100c-b2_SuperSabre Revell 4351 65th(128dpi)_93.jpg

186b_F100-C underside_by Jim @ CAP display_11-02-09.jpg

186c1_F100 SuperSabre-PMC_Lift-off-65th.jpg

Always keeping an eye out of just about any Plastic model that might make a decent PMC a vew years back I ran into these three kits from Condor later Special Hobbies.
All three are based on 1/72nd scale which is a little small for a V-2 (A4) but it's varients are so interesting they have been on my list for building ever since. To date I've only conpleted a White Sands V2 #2 version featuring rear drag out chute ejection pod set up for 13mm A3 or A10 motors.
Has flown OK on A3-2T's but prefer A10-3T's to have ample time to get the 10" cleaner bag chute to drag out and deploy.

The other end of my "Bookend" 1/72nd Scale PMC's is the small Cheap Revell F8-E Crusader kit. Only found one at the hobby shop when I purchased it. expected the kit to be lacking in details & weapons but was very please to discover it has a decent amount of both. With just a little work closing some ill fitting seams and deciding this one would have to "fly" wheels up I had enough to make this a fairly interesting model. To get enough nose weight to move the CG far enough forward it's kind of close to the limits of lift on an A10-3T motor. With it's rear ejection drag-out pod & 12" Dry cleaner bag chute the model's Ewt at 95.6 grams, Adding the motor's 7.9grams takes us to a liftoff weight of 103.5grams.
It's only flown in one competition finishing 3rd after turning in a pretty low 50-60foot flight but deployed well before sticking in the soft grassy field.
I use this model and it's 1/65th brother the F100C with their Bookend style stands at Mod-Roc Displays and demos often.

188-sm_F8-E Crusader-PMC 72nd_06-30-01.jpg

PMC's Display-sm @ CollegePark Airfair 09-14-96.jpg

Last edited:
Folks ask if it's possible to convert Plastic Models to fly on 1/8A Micro Maxx motors?
The answer is a resounding YES!

My first attempt was a 1/40th Revell re-Release kit of the Aerobee-Hi Sounding rocket.
The subject sounding rocket is sort of near and dear to my heart as my parents were deeply involved with the project through NRL (Naval Research Lab) here in DC.
The model is a straight single staged MMX motor powered conversion with a section of Clear Polyethylene mailing tube "stuffer" through the interstage "Open air" to the sustainer section. Shockline, Teflon Streamer/wadding recovery all contained in the sustainer. Model displays on the included Trailer-erector but was not built to launch for the trailer.
A rather heavy 12.4g ewt. makes for 13.5g LOWt. very low slow liftoff and flights. If I build another it well have more of the interior excess styrene removed before assembly to lighten the model at least a couple grams.

Aerobee-Hi_Sounding rocket Revell H-1814 40th_08-08-01.jpg

224a_MM Aerobee-Hi & Trailer_40th PMC_08-08-01.jpg

Converting included vehicles to active Mod-Roc Launchers can be a bit involved but very rewarding side project with many Plastic model Kits.
Revells re-release of the 60's H-1816 Lacrosse missile with truck mobile launcher is a fine example.
While the Lacrosse missile is a fairly easy conversion adding necessary launch rod and motor exhaust protection took just a little figuring. Because the missle altitude tilt didn't get me to within 30° of vertical, it is necessary to use an additional faux grass covered hill to add the necessary angle. but it worked very well.
Because the missile takes so much nose weight Ewt: 11.6g LOWt: 12.7grams to get a stable flight it only gets about 15-17feet of altitude before popping the small 4" chute but it was enough to get a 4th place in PMC at a regional meet.
The fun was really in building the truck launcher over the missile itself:)

Lacrosse-d1_&TruckLauncher Revell H-1816 40th(128dpi)_99.jpg

MM 223a2_Lacrosse PMC_10-08-99.jpg

MM 223b2_Lacorsse PMC_10-08-99.jpg

Back