plastic 38mm retainer for OpenRocket simulation? (Mega Der Red Max)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a part already created that can be added to the Open Rocket database for the plastic 38mm retainer available from Launch Lab Rocketry?

I am almost done with a simulation model for the Mega Der Red Max clone that was sold by Launch Lab Rocketry. The one thing needed to complete it is the model of the 38mm plastic retainer that I also bought from Launch Lab.

Rather than creating the parts all over again, I was hoping to just add a pre-design part. I thought there was a way to add new parts to the database. I have searched and not found that one in the database, so I don't think it's there already. [This is a relatively new part that Launch Lab is selling.]

Thanks,

Dave S.

Is there a part already created that can be added to the Open Rocket database for the plastic 38mm retainer available from Launch Lab Rocketry?

I am almost done with a simulation model for the Mega Der Red Max clone that was sold by Launch Lab Rocketry. The one thing needed to complete it is the model of the 38mm plastic retainer that I also bought from Launch Lab.

Rather than creating the parts all over again, I was hoping to just add a pre-design part. I thought there was a way to add new parts to the database. I have searched and not found that one in the database, so I don't think it's there already. [This is a relatively new part that Launch Lab is selling.]

Thanks,

Dave S.
There's not a big advantage to trying to properly "model" a retainer... just add a mass element in the correct position and that should be good enough.

There is currently no easy way to add parts to the database, sorry.

As Neil suggested, that's what I did for my steampunk build with the LLR retainer. Create a centering ring with the dimensions and weight of both halves of the LLR retainer and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks for the suggestions. I realize it won't make much difference w/ calculations, but I just wanted it to look right.

Should have mentioned that I am running version 22.02 beta 02.

Thanks for the suggestions. I realize it won't make much difference w/ calculations, but I just wanted it to look right.
For a first-order approximation, us a centering ring as suggested by @bibbster.
1667779742538.png
For a more detailed appearance, use a body tube followed by a transition to represent the taper in the rear. This will actually factor into aerodynamics, although you'll get a body tube diameter continuity warning.
1667779956347.png
For an even more detailed appearance, you can create the ribs on the outside by using solid inner tubes (inner diameter=0) with radial offsets.
1667780231049.png

And finally, for the most detailed appearance of all, you can represent the ribs with little fins (so you can get the taper in the rear), but that's going to mess up your simulation, so I don't recommend it.

For a first-order approximation, us a centering ring as suggested by @bibbster.
View attachment 545183
For a more detailed appearance, use a body tube followed by a transition to represent the taper in the rear. This will actually factor into aerodynamics, although you'll get a body tube diameter continuity warning.
View attachment 545185
For an even more detailed appearance, you can create the ribs on the outside by using solid inner tubes (inner diameter=0) with radial offsets.
View attachment 545186

And finally, for the most detailed appearance of all, you can represent the ribs with little fins (so you can get the taper in the rear), but that's going to mess up your simulation, so I don't recommend it.

Look at @neil_w ... getting all fancy... (just kidding)

Back