Plasti-kote Paint--Lame Finish

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippen

Reaction score
I was at Michael's yesterday and found 6 ounce cans of this stuff marked down from $6.00 to $1.00. The colors they had left were sparkly gold, bronze, silver, and light blue.

I brought some home and tried it out. It makes a pretty sparkly gold but I was having trouble getting getting the "sparkles" even. Has anyone used this stuff with good results? The price was good, but not if it's going to result in a bunch of sanding. :rolleyes:

If I remember right, to get a good finish, PlastiKote needs the "right" primer under it.

-Kevin

plasti-kote is the main spray paint that i use, and with the exception of the metallic paints i usually get a good finish.
i find the metallic paints to do dull quickly and sometimes give patchy finishes - even when i've used the plasti-kote primer underneath.

plasti-kote is the main spray paint that i use, and with the exception of the metallic paints i usually get a good finish.
i find the metallic paints to do dull quickly and sometimes give patchy finishes - even when i've used the plasti-kote primer underneath.

Do you put a clear over the metallics? I've found that when I do that, they hold up well. Granted, I've not used the PlastiKote metallics, but the ones I have all have clear coats.

-Kevin

I painted my Flis Tumbleweed with orange Plasti-coat. Gawd-Awful!

half way through painting a rocket with the orange Plasti-kote, and i have to agree with the others, this colour gives a much worse finish than the other colours in the plasti -cote range, and it seems to run alot more.

Thanks for the input. I grabbed a few cans while they were on the shelf but after reading this I will file them in the "not for important projects" bin. Rustoleum metallics have been pretty good for us but this was so sparkly (and cheap) I wanted to check it out.

Back