Plaster Blaster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartaChris

Reaction score
Plaster Blaster is a 4 day launch about an hour east of San Diego, CA. Is anyone here (besides me hopefully) going to this? There looks to be some awesome events, including an 8ft Space Shuttle put together by Andy Woerner (sp?) of What's Up Hobbies. It will fly on 2 K 550's and 3 J-210's. It will also have R/C recovery!

There is also a simultaneous 30 Thumper launch. Each Thumper will be flying an M class motor.

Other fun stuff as well. The link for special projects is here: https://www.plasterblaster.com/special_projects.htm

-Chris

I'm one of the Thumper entrants. Eric (rocwizard) and I started construction last week. We cut out the MMT to accept a 98mm and four 54mms... but we'll only fly on an M1297W for the drag race. Look for it loaded up at ROCStock though!

Pics later :)

I'll probably fly some other stuff too. I'm looking forward to a great launch!

Yeah, I'll be there. Making sure David doesn't forget anything while prepping his thumper:kill:

In any case, it looks to be an awesome launch! I can't wait!

hey Chris, we are definite maybes. it's going to be a busy month - XPRS the week before, TCC & LUNAR the week before that, ROC the week before that (or BALLS!!) long drive ... really want to go!!

I would love to go to Balls but don't have the time I can get off from work. :-(

I am going to go at least one day to Plaster Blaster. This looks like too much fun!

If you do go to balls, take lots of pics! There is going to be a full size Honest John there flying on a cluster of 4 O-4800's! Not to mention the 102% scale Black Brank flying on a cluster of 3 P motors...

-Chris

I will be there for all four days !

I am bring my L-1 rocket - A Hope And A Prayer (see the thread on My L1 - The Chronicle on Construction). However it is up to Andy Woerner if it flys or not.

This rocket was dedicated to Joanna Woerner, Andy's wife who had been diagonsed with ColoRectal Cancer. Unfortunatly On August 19, 2004 Joanna was called home to be with the Lord.

Please pary for the Woerner Family.

As far as PlasterBlaster goes I will be there, come find me ! I will be camping and will have a "SARA" banner (NAR Section #545 from Tucson, AZ) up at my camp site.

Hope to see everyone there

Originally posted by rdbones
I will be there for all four days !

I am bring my L-1 rocket - A Hope And A Prayer (see the thread on My L1 - The Chronicle on Construction). However it is up to Andy Woerner if it flys or not.

This rocket was dedicated to Joanna Woerner, Andy's wife who had been diagonsed with ColoRectal Cancer. Unfortunatly On August 19, 2004 Joanna was called home to be with the Lord.

Please pary for the Woerner Family.

As far as PlasterBlaster goes I will be there, come find me ! I will be camping and will have a "SARA" banner (NAR Section #545 from Tucson, AZ) up at my camp site.

Hope to see everyone there

All four days? I'm Jealous!

I found out last night about Joanna and posted a thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=117268#post117268

-Chris

Along with the rest of the Punk Rocket Scientists...hopefully with a 1/4 scale bomarc, if all goes well with construction between now and then. Due to family vacations, work has slowed down drastically over the last month. Can't wait to see all of the special events at this years PB:D !

I saw an awesome Bomarc at RockStock back in June. That wouldn't have been yours, would it?

-Chris

Nope...mine is still in a few too many parts scattered about my gargage to be considered flyable yet...

I'll get new pics posted as soon as a little more progress is made.

I am in favor of doing something in memory of Joanna !

If Andy wants me to fly A Hope And A Prayer, I will. I have also considered finding out how many times we can "Fill The Rocket".

Filling the Boot is a fire fighters tradition. In the time of need to help out the family of a fallen and or injured fire fighter. I think that this is just a small thing to do since we are a family in our own right.

I have not talked to Andy, since I am sure he is very busy with the task at hand. I am however planning on getting to the Plaster City Launch site early and help him in any way that I can. I know that we will all have our own personal memorials to Joanna, and I feel that a group effort would great.

Rocketry is a family affair, and we have lost a great member of our family.

I am open to any and all other suggestions.

My dad and I will be there. We are from the same club as rdbones. We are participating in the Thumper Drag Race flying on an M1315. We are also trying to fly our 8x upscale GeminiDC. This rocket is 16 feet tall, and will have dual rear ejection parachutes just like the estes kit.

This has always been a great event thanks to all of the local club members, but especially Joanna. It is hard to believe such a great person can be gone, but her memory will always be there.

What day will the Thumper drag race be going on? I saw a list of all of the special events but no schedule as to what day they might be happening.

An 8x upscale of the Gemini DC? Sweet!! A guy at the first ROC launch I went to in Lucerne had an upscaled Gemini DC but I dunno how much bigger it was. It unfortunately suffered two failed flights, which is too bad because it was gorgeous!

Do you have any pics of it? When do you plan on launching it?

I think I am gonna put in for that Friday off and head down that morning. Not sure if I am gonna fly anythying though as I am saving $$ for RockStock.

-Chris

Here's what Andy told me about some of the events a few days ago:

The drag race will be Saturday morning. We have 32 entries so far. The 100 Comanche launch will be Saturday afternoon.
The Vostok will fly Sunday morning. If I can get the shuttle finished it will also fly on Sunday.
There are also about 15 other M projects scheduled for the weekend. We are expecting about 2000 flights.

We are going to try to fly the GeminiDC saturday or early sunday. We will be sending information to the special projects person for Plaster Blaster soon, anmd hopefully a picture will be included with that. I tried to attach a picture, it is just a mock up, early construction. The fins were replaced with foam board fins with 3 layers of glass.

Originally posted by JacobD
We are going to try to fly the GeminiDC saturday or early sunday. We will be sending information to the special projects person for Plaster Blaster soon, anmd hopefully a picture will be included with that. I tried to attach a picture, it is just a mock up, early construction. The fins were replaced with foam board fins with 3 layers of glass.

whoa.. i have got to see that thing go! what will you be launching it on?

-Chris

We are currently about 3/4 done on construction. As long as we dont have any problems it should be ready for Plaster Blaster. We have it set up with a central 75mm mount and 3 38mm mounts. It will fly on either a central L or M with 3 H's or I's. Still dont have a final weight so we are not sure.

i am impressed and cannot wait to see it fly! are you going to paint it like the estes version?

-Chris

Yes, we are planning on painting it exactly like the estes version. We also have a 2x, 3x, and even a 3/4x version all painted like the estes kit. If we have time they will all fly at PB. With the 8x and the Drag Race it may be hard though.

Ho Hum Just another Jacob & Jay GeminiDC Up Sacle.

Maybe I am spoiled because I have seen the 2x and 3x DC's and the 12X Alpha fly in person !

I do have to admit Jay & Jacob do great work !!! and I too am waiting to see the 8X Gemini go up !

Keep up the good work Jacob !

Just to let everyone know, there is a picture of the vostock that is supposed to fly at Blaster Blaster up on the website. It is going to be very impressive, cant imagine waht motors it will fly on.

Just to let everyone know, there is a picture of the vostock that is supposed to fly at Blaster Blaster up on the website. It is going to be very impressive, cant imagine waht motors it will fly on.

I heard a buncha pro54's via the recent cluster thread. It's gonna be so awesome, and it's HUGE. The Space Shuttle sounds really awesome, too.

OMG that thing is HUGE!!! I can't wait to see it go up!

-Chris

rdbones mentioned our 12x Alpha, so here is a picture. Anyone around the pheonix area can see it fly at the GHS memorial launch in october.

The rocket is 12 feet tall, 12 inch diameter, and was 97 lbs flight weight on an M1000 hybrid. It has 3 54mm outboards but they have yet to be used.

Currently we can not transport the rocket due to the fin span. Once we figure out how we are getting up to pheonix other opportunites may open up, but as of now we have no plans to launch in CA.

It is impressive to see fly, it is on the edge of having enough motor, but it flies straight as an arrow...a very slow arrow.

Jacob - are you going to open up an use the outboards at GHS ?

I'm waiting to see it on a full compliment of motors

I'm hoping to be there also, but my attendance/participation is highly dependent on my employment status. I'll be changing jobs around then, and might not be in the SoCal area anymore (although I certainly hope to be!). If I'm there, I'll be sure to look you guys up.

WW

I will be camping out (white mini van and a blue EZ UP). I will Have a SARA (Southern Arizona Rocketry Asso) Banner hanging on one of the two !

Look us up ! Glad to have TRF'ers stop by !

We are still not sure that it will use the ouboards at GHS simply due to the 2 M flights we will be doing at Plaster Blaster. If We still decide to use them we may use adapters down to 38mm and go with I's or J's. We will just have to wait and see.

Back