Planet express, just a thought

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was kinda thinking a big daddy nose cone turned into boat tail, and a 3d printed nose cone, with a small body tube. I am still trying to see if this is feasible

We're living in this day and age if you can think about something, somebody has probably already done it.

Anyone ever have a stupid 11 PM thought while watching TV?View attachment 536038

There’s a very detailed stl on thingiverse… wonder if it could be modified to be flyable. Anyone have hair brained thoughts, or is this a terrible idea.

Yes, I also have hair brained thoughts, some have been turned into flying model rockets.

Yes, The Planet Express could be made flyable. And I'm not talking about a 3FNC with a wrap as an homage, I'm talking about the cartoon version.

Here's a quick and dirty Open Rocket Sim. Nose cone is custom lathe turned solid redwood that is then sculpted by removing the lower portion.

2022-09-05 Open Rocket Simulation Planet Express.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the unique nose on that thing has makes me wonder what this would look like:

Two nose cones having:
- the same diameter, but
- one longer than the other,
- each one cut in half vertically (longitudinally),
- offset vertically (longitudinally) one from the other, and
- glued to each other.

I think that would come close to what the Planet Express looks like at the front.

I'm looking forward to this.

Stability concerns will probably prevent making a perfectly scale model flyable, but oversized fins won't detract. I really want to see what that nose "cone" print looks like. :)

Looking at the unique nose on that thing has makes me wonder what this would look like:

Two nose cones having:
- the same diameter, but
- glued to each other.

I think that would come close to what the Planet Express looks like at the front.
Estes had instructions for a highly similar sequence of operations, but I can't for the life of me remember which kit wanted it.

Two nose cones having:
- the same diameter, but
- glued to each other.

The lower portion is actually more like the hull of a boat, than a nose cone. And it has a radius that flairs into the upper section.

Planet Express Front Lower Three Quarter View.jpgPlanet Express Side View.jpg

The lower portion is actually more like the hull of a boat, than a nose cone. And it has a radius that flairs into the upper section.
Off hand, I wouldn't know where to look for a part like that (boat models?). It needs to have the exact same width as the upper part of the nose cone, so a Big Bertha nose is the closest thing I have in mind. And maybe a big fillet out of putty would make a nice transition and also balance the weight.

I know anything can be done with 3D printing, but just drawing that looks like a big job, let alone trying to do it out of wood. So I'm trying to find short cuts.

Off hand, I wouldn't know where to look for a part like that (boat models?). It needs to have the exact same width as the upper part of the nose cone, so a Big Bertha nose is the closest thing I have in mind. And maybe a big fillet out of putty would make a nice transition and also balance the weight.

I know anything can be done with 3D printing, but just drawing that looks like a big job, let alone trying to do it out of wood. So I'm trying to find short cuts.

it's amazing what can be done with a sander and a Dremel tool. Or as Grandpa used to do.. whittling.

I'm looking forward to this.

Stability concerns will probably prevent making a perfectly scale model flyable, but oversized fins won't detract. I really want to see what that nose "cone" print looks like. :)
If you look at the "shoe" on the front landing gear, the front of the lower chin cut-out appears to be flat and not a double compound curve like a typical nose cone.

Planet Express Side View.jpgPlanet Express Dwg Sht 1 of 1 Rev 00.jpgPlanet Express Render 000.JPGPlanet Express Render 001.JPGPlanet Express Render 002.JPG

This is cool. As for the original question, can it fly. Hey if they can launch a porta potty, I think this thing can fly. I do think that cut out on the nose will cause a bit of pitch action, but maybe that can be offset with some fin angle. Will be cool to see though. Take a video please, ; )

This is cool. As for the original question, can it fly. Hey if they can launch a porta potty, I think this thing can fly. I do think that cut out on the nose will cause a bit of pitch action, but maybe that can be offset with some fin angle. Will be cool to see though. Take a video please, ; )
I was hoping that the gun turret might even things out, maybe hopefully

Yea I did think about that. A little drag on top. Actually the turret might make it pitch more. That's a pretty big cut out on the nose. But hey, make a small model and try it out. I have a similar issue with a Pegasus rocket I'm working on. Big wing on top, smaller fins at the back. I need to download this Rocket Sim program and see if it red flags me.

@lakeroadster how did you model that in Openrocket? I've worked out how to attach fins to a transition section, but I've no idea how you go about sculpting a nose like that?
He's so far beyond the normal rocket guy that us mere mortals, we have no idea how he does it and can't even comprehend it if he explains it.

@lakeroadster how did you model that in Openrocket? I've worked out how to attach fins to a transition section, but I've no idea how you go about sculpting a nose like that?

It's smoke and mirrors. It's not modeled that way, It's a screen shot that's been modified.​
I will say, without the chin cut-out, the rocket looks just as cool.​
1662467568728.png

Swing test the snot out of it, as I know you will, and you're good to go!

Exactly.​
Nearly all these "Sci-Fi" looking rocket are aero turds. If you stay true to the artists original design and then try to make them actually stable they require huge amounts of nose weight.​
This one may have a bit of base drag to help with stability, but maybe not.​
Making these artists creations actually fly is a fun challenge, and this one is a good rocket to toss onto the build pile. Thanks to @mccoy300 for bringing it to the forefront by starting this thread.​
:awesome:

Last edited:
Back