Pizza delivery Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer714

Reaction score
For Rocstock I'm building a spool rocket for a Skyripper K motor. The front disk is a 14 inch Pizza. the rear disk is a 16 inch Table with red and white checked table cloth (table cloth runs 3 inches down the side). The body tube is 6" diameter and 34 inches long Parmesan cheese shaker.

A few questions, has any one used Rocksim and the spool rocket corrections for a spool this size?

For ejection I'm using a MAD from Aerocon, I'm planning on having the pizza come off the Parmesan (body tube) with a short coupler, I'm thinking 1-2 inches. The concern is that the drag is so high from the front pizza that a longer coupler would hang up. Any fears of using such a short coupler? I might augment the mount by adding a few ribs to the top of the Parmesan to keep the pizza from bowing over.

The Pizza has olives, mushrooms, peperoni and olives, someone suggested that anchovies would help the recovery, I'm not sure why but he seemed pretty certain about it so I figured I wouldn't argue, any thoughts on toppings?

I'm not sure how the flapping of the table cloth will affect the stability, any thoughts?

Last question, name preferences, haven't nailed it down yet, short list includes,
Medium for delivery hold the AP
13 seconds or free
That's Amore (figure this one out yourself)
Any other suggestions?

Pictures coming during the build.

Next build pictures

The front plate (pizza) and rear plate (table) are finished. I just need to set the table using a red and white checker board tablecloth and bond the pizza in place. I need to add launch lugs and also I'm mounting the MAD in a small transparent pod to the upper plate. Weight is currently at 10 lbs less motor. kind of heavy, but not going for performance out of this thing. The plates weigh as much as the body tube and engine mount.

The Skyripper motor case is in the background.

AUT_1852.JPG

AUT_1854.JPG

" If the moon hits your eye lika big pizza pie....." Very cool. Your should call it " Pie in the sky":D

Latest pictures...

I know you don't have the igniter in when you go to RSO your rocket, but what about the beer?

AUT_1904.JPG

AUT_1903.JPG

AUT_1902.JPG

AUT_1901.JPG

Interesting rocket you got there... What is the delivery time on this?:rolleyes:

Launching at Rocstock June 13th, sims out at 13 seconds for delivery (betcha it is less than the sim)

On a technical note,

I have seen the spool rocket (base drag) correction factor that people use for Rocsim adding a zero mass conical transition to the rear disk. I am thinking that for a rocket this large and with the aspect ratio I have, I need to model a conical transition to both the front and rear disk with the rear disk having a smaller 'correction transition' than the front due to the wake from the front. The rear disk is 16 inch vs the front disk at 14 inch. I did this to help the rear disk exit the wake of the front one.

Anyone done something like this with Rocsim?

One other note, I don't want to add too much weight to the table, so I'm switching to light beer for the launch.

Last question, name preferences, haven't nailed it down yet, short list includes,
Medium for delivery hold the AP
13 seconds or free
That's Amore (figure this one out yourself)
Any other suggestions?

If you were willing to change your motor preference, you could call it "Pepperoni on a Cesaroni".
;)

lol.

The guys in prototype this wanted to make a pizza delivery blimp, but it didn't work.
It'll be quite interesting to see a rocket dropping a pizza without damaging it etc

Dan,

Actually picked up one of your Pie in the Sky kits, My kid put it together and wants to go 2 stage with it on top of the upscale one.

the pizza rocked did fly (video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GbvsA8vZ7Q ).

I flew it on a Skyripper K347 at Rocstock 29

The flight was perfect, some 'spool wobble' and the tablecloth got shredded at the edges pretty badly (gotta get a higher speed tablecloth next time). The MAD never deployed the chute. Surprisingly little damage should only take an hour or two to get it ready for another flight.

Gary Moratz got some good shots at;
https://www.rocketography.printroom...amoratz&gallery_id=1618593&image_id=71&pos=72

and

https://www.rocketography.printroom...oratz&gallery_id=1618593&image_id=175&pos=176

pizza1.jpg

Last edited:
The flight was perfect, some 'spool wobble' and the tablecloth got shredded at the edges pretty badly (gotta get a higher speed tablecloth next time). The MAD never deployed the chute. Surprisingly little damage should only take an hour or two to get it ready for another flight.

Good flight!!! :clap:

What is the MAD that was supposed to deploy the chute? I was thinking you might mean MAWD, but I wasn't sure since there isn't any BT with uninterupted air flow to get a baro reading from so a MAWD wouldn't work anyway. Was it an accel type altimeter?

I think I would just use a timer set for motor burn time plus one second.

Hope you get it worked out, it is a cool rocket.

the MAD was supposed to blow the chute, no ejection and the charge had not gone off. I couldn't use a barometer based altimeter (no place for a sampling hole) and was reluctant to use a acceleration based altimeter, between the high drag and the noisy hybrid, I figured that would be problematic.

Next flight I plan to use a timer with the time set based on the actual time of this flight. I'm going to use a break wire to indicate launch.

The body tube is PVC sewer pipe, a simple bonded on coupler will fix the damage. The pipe broke right at the transition to the pizza. The pizza base was 2 plys of 7781 glass cloth over a circle of 1/2 inch 20 lb per cubic foot foam. No dents not breaks. in the foam or skin. I mention this because higher density foam with glass skins makes good fins. No pizzas were harmed during launch!

One plug, Ron from Black Dog Rocketry https://www.blkdgrkty.com/ caries all the hybrid stuff and helped out launching. At $25/ reload and a looong burn, the hybrid was a great choice for this launch!

ROCstock29 097s.jpg

Back