Pinewood Derby Time!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just worked on my boys with him last nite. He got one for his Church club and I had him design it, then draw it, then transfer it to the side. He helped saw it, but when it came time to use the bench sander, he was a bit wary. I gave him a hand at that point, but he has to build the rest of it.

Must be the season for these cars...

Carl

We've been busy getting ready for the big race on monday.

Philip wanted it to look like Sonic the Hedgehog, so here it is. Still needs some eyes and a mouth....
PWD_Sonic.jpg

Our collection from several years of Cub Scouts. (Two boys)
PWD_cars.jpg

Pinewood Derby? Well, I guess a Kub Kar by any other name still rolls as fast. :)

Mine always sucked, because I figured light weight meant less resistance, and some guy named Galileo said something about heavy objects and light objects falling at the same speed... hadn't heard of Newton yet! Oh well. I had a good time.

This was our last year of Cub Scouts. Ben decided to use three spent 13mm casing to make a rocket car. The casings doubled as a place to stash weights also. He was going for one of the craftsmanship awards (Fastest Looking), and was overjoyed when he not only made the finals, he got 2nd place in the Pack. All design and construction (except the gross wood cuts) was done by him. Chris decided to re-enter his 2nd place car from 2 years ago (he was in the middle of building a rocket and didn't want to be bothered) and he made it into the finals.

Anyway, Ben's car is the third from the left, motor end toward the camera, and Chris' car is second from the left in this photo of the Pack finalists.

I really like that Sonic Hedgehog car! We got to the state finals with this car, but suffered a weight disqualification near the finish. It was fast though!;) ;)

nice, i like how they look like muscle cars. I knew someone who took PWD cars and then put CO2 bottles in them (the little ones) and they flew!

These aren't Pine Wood Derby, but AWANA Grand Prix. Basically the same thing, same track, same weight etc. My son took first place one year with the silver car, and third place with the white one last year. We have not built this years yet.

I finally finished my entry for this years derby last night. The adults all race seperately from the Boy Scouts to help eliminate the 'too helpful' parent syndrome. The car frame itself is supposed to be the launch gantry for the bashed Estes Hi-Flier. The rocket itself is removeable - the launch lug is sunk into a routed slot on the frame, so I hope to launch it next time out. Check this link for my son's, wife's, and my cars from the last couple years.
https://www.scouts532.com/cub scouts/cub pictures/pinewood04/pinewood_derby.htm

Sorry for bringing this back up but could not resist. Here are this years entries!

Back