Pigasus with a BAR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrScramJet

Reaction score
This won't be a build thread. Just a thread about how modeling with rockets has changed over the last 35 years. My last rocket build was the Estes Apollo 11, Saturn V rocket which still sits partially built after 35 years. One rocket build prior to the Saturn V was the Mercury Redstone MR7. The paint pattern was extremely challenging being sectioned off with 3M Scotch Brand Magic Tape. I was quite pleased with the final results of the paint scheme of MR7, that I decided to build the rocket that I watched on TV take off in July of 1969. Well life got in the way and the rest is history.

Back in the 60's, there were a number of magazines that had helpful tips when constructing and painting tissue airplanes, but where I lived, few modelers with techniques were available. Some tips were obtained via fellow airplane modelers and close to zero with rocket modelers.

Well, fast forward to today. For some reason after finding the store away MR7, the rocket interest piqued again. With the advent of the internet, many new tips were discovered. Back when building MR7 in 1985, the balsa grain was filled with a watered down solution of Elmer's School glue and painted on the balsa fin watching for warpage. When dried, it was sanded and applied over and over again until the grain disappeared. Well low and behold. The discovery of Elmer's CWF. When reduced, what a time saver of a nasty job.

The new Rustoleum Prime and Sand primer makes quick work of the balsa grain and rocket tube spirals. Techniques for "double glueing" and for filling fillets were much appreciated. Pigasus' nose cone and razor back, along with wings and legs blended smoothly for a satisfying finish. Paint chemical compatibility recommendations were truly appreciated when trying to avoid 35 year old nasty memories of paint wrinkling. Nose cone plastic explanation of "gassing out" will save future aggravation of paint incompatibilty issues also. And let's not forget about making your own water slide decals which was but a dream back then. So many advances that truly allows today's model construction to be an enjoyable event.

So when trying to determine if I should try my hand at rocketry again, I chose Odd'l Rockets Pigasus for a fun build. Easy to build with clean and concise instructions increasing the chance for success. Now after this build, it is onto Chris' Little Green Man for the next rocket. Below are pictures of the Pigasus build, hopefully encouraging others to get back into the hobby to enjoy this S.T.E.M. past time. Thanks for reading.

QSU30o0.jpg

Q0EgRd1.jpg

hJC1GEW.jpg

jkNf4NM.jpg

Zeo6EHK.jpg

pkfRgcb.jpg

d3TVLzT.jpg

L9FcObY.jpg

rGGeJzR.jpg

VsiuWYW.jpg

Welcome back to the hobby! I also took a 35 year nap before resuming.

That's a very clean Pigasus. Nicely done.

I know what you mean about the techniques. I couldn't believe all the changes when I resumed. The biggest difference is the availability of websites, blogs, Youtube, TRF, and all the various ways it's possible to share information now. As a kid I was pretty much on my own, although my Dad did a good job of guiding and teaching me. Today I'd still be on my own if not for TRF.

I have one of these that has been at the primer-filler stage for more than 3 yrs. Need to finish it!

It’s amazing how little it takes to get our interest back into the hobby after we’ve been introduced to model rockets as kids. I started in 1978. I’ve tried to get my kids interested and was successful so far with one.

Nice work on your Pigasus!
Very smooth and shiny -
Remember, with all that wing area, It can weathercock on a windy day -

Back