Pictures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelltym88

Reaction score
Since I haven't been able to go out yet this year, here are some pictures from one of last years launches at the Sante Fe dam.
First up is my Deuces Wild....

Next up is a picture of my estes Odyssey before flight. Yes that is my Shrox Icarus next to it....

Well that's it for now, gotta go to work. I'll have to look for some other pictures I have. Hope you guys enjoy these:D :D :D

thanks, it is always good to see a couple pics.....I love pictures...I think it is a side effect of this forum.

Love the photos but here is a (perhaps stoopid ?) question. Is the Shrox Icarus anything like the Quest Icarus ? Maybe an upscale ?

Cheers

(Evil) Bob

They're nothing alike. The Shrox Icarus is a futuristic spaceship along the lines of an Estes U.S.S. Atlantis or Satellite Interceptor. Shrox is an artist/designer of some repute whose coming projects can be seen at https://www.shrox.com/shrockets.html. He no longer has the Icarus listed as available, and seems to have abandoned low-power rocketry for mid-power. The new kits look cool. I'll try to get a picture of my Icarus to post tonight. It's a great looking kit that incorporates a ping pong ball in it's mid section, (as do many of his early kits.)

Originally posted by Fishhead
He no longer has the Icarus listed as available, and seems to have abandoned low-power rocketry for mid-power.

Now that I think about it, I remember hearing that he was having trouble procuring nose cones from Estes, so maybe "abandoned" is too strong a word.

Bob,
Fishhead is correct in that the Shrox and Quest Icarus' are nothing alike. Here is a couple of pictures of my Shrox Icarus....

Sure do, Micromister! I built an Estes Icarus as a kid and had it until it was claimed by a RET about 10 yrs ago!

Hey, Kelltym88, looks like your shuttle has the same problem with the flap stick on decal that mine does, they don't stick too well, do they?

Glenn

Loved that rocket. Its last flight ended in a nearby swimming pool. I had chased it down; it was literally inches away from my outstretched fingers. The motor casing instantly swelled with water. :(

Hey, Kelltym88, looks like your shuttle has the same problem with the flap stick on decal that mine does, they don't stick too well, do they?

Glenn [/B][/QUOTE]

No they sure don't. I just finished fixing my Soaring Eagle and I just used regular ole' Scotch tape.

Originally posted by kelltym88
Bob,
Fishhead is correct in that the Shrox and Quest Icarus' are nothing alike. Here is a couple of pictures of my Shrox Icarus....

OK, I can see that the similarity ends with the name...

Your bird is very stylish by the way - how does it fly with those fins ? Looks like it is long enough to be stable but I don't ever recall seeing a configuration that radical before.

I've attached a photo of my 'Quest' Icarus which may be of interest - it bears no resemblance to the original rocket either and has been redesignated the 'Southern Cross' after an early Aussie aviator's aircraft :^)

Redesigned fins with TTW mounting to a D engine mount (all made from scratch). Ejection baffle system with an orange 250mm fully sewn parachute. I've also added an extra compartment aftre this photo was taken. It adds 150mm to the airframe length which will house the new Apogee altimiter I've ordered.

As soon as the drought breaks down here (and the fire bans end) I'll see how high and straight it flies :^))

Cheers

(Evil) Bob

[Your bird is very stylish by the way - how does it fly with those fins ? Looks like it is long enough to be stable but I don't ever recall seeing a configuration that radical before.

Bob,
She flies Awesome!! Very stable too. I'm planning on flying her this weekend on an RMS motor(not sure what size power, but 18mm). I plan on taking many pictures. Stay tuned.....

Back