Pictures & Specs of Estes' New Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ltvscout

Reaction score
I couldn't let Scott Branche scoop me on everything concerning Estes' new releases. ;-) Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe now has scans online of Estes' sell sheets for their new kits thanks to my hobby industry insider. Pricing for these new kits will be forthcoming.

Go to https://www.rocketshoppe.com to see pictures and specs on the new rockets from Estes.

I just learned about the x-prize and all I have to say is: MAN THAT IS COOOOOOL!!!!!!!! I MUST have those kits!!!!!!!!!!! Especially the Canadian Arrow.:eek:

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I must maintain control.....I must have that D powered Lonestar Glider........hmmm I wonder what it will do on AT E/F/G ??? Can you say UPSCALE? Can you say add some RC ?
wow Estes is impressing the heck outta me....These are some pretty cool rockets and stuff....

OH Man!
I haven't bought a Kit model in years but I see I'm gonna be spending some bucks for at least 8 of the new release models. When are they to hit the market? I'm with Ya Shockie, That's about as close to the Dyna Soar as I've seen in many a year! a Must for sure!!!

Did anyone else notice that the Thunderstar is a cluster?

I already have five boxes of unbuilt kits stashed in the garage, and I am definitely gonna have to get a bunch of these new ones. How the heck am I gonna explain to the wife that I really did need more kits?!?

Originally posted by powderburner
I already have five boxes of unbuilt kits stashed in the garage, and I am definitely gonna have to get a bunch of these new ones. How the heck am I gonna explain to the wife that I really did need more kits?!?

By giving the rest of the unbuilt ones to us! As originator of this idea, I say that I get first dibs...

wow .....more D power stuff and a cluster...!.......

scale models..(return of the 2.6 v2 tailcone!!)......scissor wing.....did someone spike the Estes water fountain?.!!!!

These X-Prize are the coolest. Something for everybody: scale, futuristic, 13mm, 18mm, 24mm, cluster and glider.

The Lucky Seven looks like alot of fun.

Nice one Estes! :D

I'm with Shockie - that Lonestar looks really sweet!

However, Cyder is wrong - there is one thing missing - no staged rocket! (It'd be too much to ask for to have a 13mm staged and have them bring back the A10-0T!;) )

Haven't seen too many 13mm powered BT-60 rockets since the Gooney Birds tho...

Greg

I'm actually a bit disappointed with some of the details on those X-prize rockets.

For instance: On the Space Transport Corp. "Rubicon", you've got a D powered bird that's 3.21" inches in diameter, six fuel tank/engines below with six fins (one on each tank or engine.) All of which looks like a fair amount of detail and the makings for a fine model.

However, the excitement is quickly lost when you see the thing described as a "Skill Level 1" kit. So, it's destined to be a modge-podge of snap together plastic and crapola.

If the thing was a Skill 3 or 4, I'm in. But I can smell the cheapness from here. I can't imagine the rest of them being much different.

I hope I'm pleasantly suprised, but I can't help but tap the brakes on any enthusiasm over these yet.

Someone please slap me...fine I'll slap myself, only way to get out of the extreme state of shock. I opened the images andw ent to the store while they were loading, came back unminimized the screens and practically died of joy and disbelief on the spot. I have to get all of the X-Prize kits! I''m going to have to buy doubles for some, some to fly others to look at:D

Hey they should have a White Knight to go with that space ship one. Well, I just found my scartch project for the summer.:D

And what about that two cluster Thunderstar!:D

Thanks for the inside info Scott,

My choice, of course, is the vintage Scissor Wing Transport. I just wonder what the part changes will be??:(

Wow! AWESOME ROCKETS. I think there are a couple factors involved her. Jim Flis and Bill Stine. Jim proved that clusters are still in demand! Wiht these two rocketeers, Estes has to know that if they don't get their act together, they would be in trouble ;).

Originally posted by Fore Check

So, it's destined to be a modge-podge of snap together plastic and crapola.

If the thing was a Skill 3 or 4, I'm in. But I can smell the cheapness from here. I can't imagine the rest of them being much different.

Hmm, also note that the Scissor Wing is a Skill 2, which is way out of whack (the original was a 3, and even that was optimistic). Dead giveaway is the phrase "Original Release Styling"

*sigh*

Originally posted by Fore Check
..."Rubicon", you've got a D powered bird that's 3.21" inches in diameter...you see the thing described as a "Skill Level 1" kit.

Is it just me or is it highly unusual for Estes to release a D-powered kit at Skill Level 1? When I "BAR'ed" even simple kits like the Maniac which really should have been E2X for skill required were SL2 (or even SL3 for the E version). I can't recall off the top of my head a SL1 D-powered kit in recent times (unless perhaps it was "The Dude" but I don't recall skill level on that one)...

Hate to be the dumb one, but what are "X-Prize" kits. I hate to say it, but I'm not real excited about these new kits. The SWT of course, the Canadian Arrow, but the others....eh. Maybe I'm more of the sporty type and not scale type. I agree with Forecheck about the skill leveling, plastic snap together kits are cheap, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well that's my 2 cents worth.

www.xprize.com

All are a part of the chance to win 10 million bucks by successfully launching 3 peoples to 62.5 miles, safely recover them, and redo it in 2 weeks.

The coolest venture thats happened in rocketry in a long time..8)

Thanx Silverleaf for the 411. Now those new kits make more sense. I thought Estes left out some creativity, but I can see that is not the case.

Your very welcome..8)

I can guarantee you that I'll be buying all 7 of the Xprize kits, sort of a way to be part of history..ahh heck, who am I kidding, I adore Estes.

I truly wish they would have done Space Ship One seen here:

https://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/index.htm

But maybe someone will do a model of this bird.

Hmm, just a thought..maybe other companies like Quest will release a few kits...

Originally posted by Silverleaf
I truly wish they would have done Space Ship One seen here:

https://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/index.htm

But maybe someone will do a model of this bird.

Hmm, just a thought..maybe other companies like Quest will release a few kits...

Ummm...if you look carefully at the YORS link and check out the link to "Estes Sell sheet 2", you'll notice that the top left pic is labelled "secret" and only shows a silouhette. It sure looks to me like the Space Ship One pic on the banner of the link you posted.

Originally posted by Hauptmann
Hmm, also note that the Scissor Wing is a Skill 2, which is way out of whack (the original was a 3, and even that was optimistic). Dead giveaway is the phrase "Original Release Styling"

*sigh*
I noticed the artist that wrote up the sheet left the pop pod fins in on the view of the gliding SWT.
Maybe the marketing people are not up on all of the details and are trying to downplay the "skill Levels" of all of the new kits.

None the less, I am pleased to see Estes making an effort to bring out/back interesting kits, and I'll hope for the best in kit quality.
(this from someone with 5 SWT clones in various scales):rolleyes:

Just about 2.5 hour drive from home is a X prize site , located in Forks ,Washington. This is a link to the site for the X Prize entry
Space Transport Corp. Rubicon.

www.space-transport.com

BAR
John

I will be buying the X Prize kits.
and two of the STC Rubicon

Originally posted by SwingWing
I noticed the artist that wrote up the sheet left the pop pod fins in on the view of the gliding SWT.
Interesting, didn't catch that the first time.

Originally posted by SwingWing
Maybe the marketing people are not up on all of the details and are trying to downplay the "skill Levels" of all of the new kits.
I did think about that, and I hope they aren't making such a short-sighted marketing mistake. They might sell a few more kits to new rocketeers at first, but frustrating newcomers with kits that are above their experience level won't win repeat customers.

Back