Pictures & Plans of Your Pads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary7

Reaction score
How about sharing with us, photos &/or plans of your launch pads. Intersted most in those pads suitable for MPR and HPR launches. Have tried to search on the www but haven't found much. I don't know, but if allowed by the forum rules, commercial pads would be welcomed. Thank you.

I used this plan to build my rail launch pad. (See the very last comment at the bottom of the page for my slight modification of it.) This was only the second pad that I ever scratch-built. I still use my first home-brewed pad for the majority of my launches. I designed it in my head as I took a stroll through the hardware store, and it shows. :rolleyes: (Hey, it works, though.) You can see a not-very detailed view of it in the second picture in this review. I can't provide plans right now, because I may have to partially dismantle it in order to recall exactly how I built it. ;) I call that beast my Locked In The Hardware Store Overnight Special. :D

Mark K.

My tripod pad. I got the tripod from a friend for free so why not put it to good use? I used a drill chuck, 1/2" bolt and washer.
IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

Last edited:
This is my first rocket. It's an Apogee Aspire. I used my Bogen 3033 camera tripod because it's very sturdy. It will easily support my weight.

The launch pad is a piece of scrap 6061 aluminum that I had laying around. It is 8" X 8" and 1" thick. The guide rod is 303 SS, 7.5' long. A friend threaded it for me. I drilled and tapped the aluminum plate for the guide rod and for the camera holder adapter.

This will work fine until I build a bigger rocket. :D
Launch_Pad.jpg

Tripod_Launch_Pad.jpg

my latest GSE. nothing fancy, pad was made from leftover wood. needed to buy a drill chuck and some 1/4" carridge bolts.
rex

gse 001.jpg

Here is a mid power pad I built a while back.photos 195.jpg I can change the "1/4 ss rod to 1" 80/20 with one bolt.

Last edited:
Fred Ziegler at Fade to black makes great launch pads
https://members.buckeye-express.com/turbopig/index.htm

I used one of Fred's pad heads (picture below) on an Estes PortaPad E with great success.

tripad3.jpg

Nice low center of gravity for the pad and the weight of the head keeps the pad stable.

I bought just the tilt/swivel mechanism-had a keyless chuck already in hand.

I'll post pictures of my setup shortly.

Cheers,
Jon

Back