Pictures of New 2020 Release Estes Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really liked (and still have/use) my Pro Series Command Controller, just upgraded the batteries in it to NiMh R/C car packs as one of the NiCd packs had gone bad.
Not sure how the LLS improves the effectiveness of Estes starters/ignitors - but I do like my PSII controller with rechargeable batteries :)

Somehow I missed that the Sidekick is a cluster. I haven’t tried using the starters for clustering (I use MJG BP starters), it’ll be interesting to see how well they work).

My 4H Rocket Club has had mixed success on clustering. We’ve got a good 12v launch controller but no dedicated cluster whips. We either use a couple launch channels or use however many 2-1 clip expanders are necessary.

With a new cluster kit out, perhaps more of the kids will want to try it.

My 4H Rocket Club has had mixed success on clustering. We’ve got a good 12v launch controller but no dedicated cluster whips. We either use a couple launch channels or use however many 2-1 clip expanders are necessary.

With a new cluster kit out, perhaps more of the kids will want to try it.
With side by side 2 motor cluster, you should easily by able to twist the wires together from the alternate clips. No cluster whip needed. Reports are that pyrogen dipped igniters have a better success rate.

Reminds me I need to pick up a bottle of fabritac. With the Sidekick and the Pro Series Patriot, sounds like 202 will be the year of the cluster

Maybe a compromise on the whole Pro-Series II thing.....something in the middle

How about a D-Region Tomahawk, Sand Hawk and or Black Brandt done in the size and fashion of the Star Orbiter? You can still use D12's and E12's. Or you can use the 29BP motors or AT reloads....win-win IMO. You got popular rockets that are a little bigger and still can use the smaller motors. Great for the scale folk, proven stability/performance etc. and able to launch "low and slow" or let them rip on composites.

I still love every new rocket that is coming out shown on the original posts and plan to get all of them.....just would love to see some larger selections.
Andrew

Here is the big problem these days for clustering BP motors, things like Thermalite are no longer available.(Maybe you can find a small stash from someone, but you can't buy it) Estes solar "Initiators, starters, igniters whatever stupid name you want to call 'em these days" are terrible. The tip is coated with something to keep the bridge wire from breaking or the leads shorting. Even coated with a decent pyrogen they still have the one big problem. They are fragile, trying to twist the leads together even in a 2 cluster will inevitably break one or both of them. I have done more clusters over the years than almost everyone else on the planet. The thumbnail rocket (LDRS 2) was 60 motors, The year before (LDRS 1) I flew 169 motors. You need to use things with longer wires that can easily be twisted together. Up to 7 motors are no problem for 12v launch controllers with 15ah gel cells or car batteries. The Estes ones actually don't work well on 12v systems because they just pop open too fast to generate any heat. As far as a kit instructions saying that if one lights it will still fly...nonsense, you still have a thrust imbalance and also your delay will be wrong. If you are using 2 C6-7's the rocket will fly well, but if one lights,then the delay is now too long. This concept was put forth and failed 45 years ago. The instructions say it can be flown with one motor. (there are two separate recovery systems. Photo below is a repro of the Canaroc Starship Antares (Plans and decals are available to download for free) I carefully prepped it with 2 C6-7's, it was breezy, one of the igniters broke and one motor lit, burnout was just past horizontal, it crashed destroying the upper tube and minor damage to the main tubes. Rebuilt it, next launch it is getting two of my EX motors... C12-8's (blue thunder) and real igniters that work!IMG_20191025_103552731.jpg

I don’t understand why Estes doesn’t tackle more scale rockets. So much happening these days. Spacex, sls etc.

If you buy the licensing rights for them, then donate the rights to estes, im sure theyd be happy to start production.

Latest posts

Back