Quantcast

Picture sizes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

sj_h1

Reaction score
Did the size of the picture attachments change since you switched to the new server. I had an upload issue that the only message I got was upload error. I though it might be the image type I was loading but as I look I noticed the the sizes were limited to about 390K, which is pretty small. The error really wasn't indicative of the real problem which was size. I don't remember ever having this issue on the old server. If its something we have live with due to cost i am ok with this, but I really would like to see larger limits maybe 1M.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
The image size is set to 400,000 bytes, and isn't likely to change, as it quickly begins to consume a lot of storage when larger pictures are used.

Since images in messages are really for display purposes, if you keep the size (pixel dimensions) the same, but change it to 72DPI, which is all that's needed for computer display, you'll find that they shrink dramatically.

As an example, the image on this message is 144,921 bytes, once resized. The original file, at full resolution, is 3,629,097 bytes.

If I were uploading the image for what I originally took the picture for, I would first crop it, then resize it, to allow the relevant portion to be larger.

-Kevin

img_3894-2.jpg

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Another option is to upload your photos to a photo hosting site like Imageshack or Photobucket and put links to them in your post. Though if your pics are going to be 1mb each time, I'd post some sort of warning next to the link.

Phil

sj_h1

Reaction score
Thanks, it was just an observation and the error surprised me.